Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

i know i know (but i dont)

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  fabslk007 
#1 ·
i have tried to find the information , but due to my own fault, i cannot find it. i need to replace the spark plug shaft oil seals. if any one can put me in the right direction to get a walk tru, i would be most grateful. i need the torque for the valve cover bolts, and any advice on how to remove the old oil seals and replace the new ones. any help offered accepted. thanks so much
fab

#4 ·
hi michael
thanks a million, firstly for knowing what a sprite is, and second for the link. this bazzle fellow seems to be a slk god, i have seen a lot of advise on the forum by him. i did try to find the info myself , by typing in valve cover gasget etc. on the search thread ,to no effect. he seems to have had a difficulty with the seals,any one else who overcame this might let me know. i intend to carry out the work tomorrow, and may paint the cover al la bazzle. thanks
fab

#5 · (Edited)
Camshaft cover bolt torque is 9Nm or 7lb/ft for the 4 cyl engine.(with new gasket?)
My Haynes manual for the M111 engine says to double check the correct seating of the gasket at the rear of the cam cover

The outer metal perimeters of the seals are quite thin and you need to get an exact fitting tube to drive the new seals into the cover

Dont skip the prep for painting the cam cover - lot of fooling around to do it all over again!!!

Bruce

#8 ·
I've done this for my car as well. I have posts on here talking about the process with pictures. I must warn you that getting the new o-rings into their proper position is nearly an impossible job. There are no tools made for this. After several attempts of trying to get those suckers in, I ended up taking it to the local dealer where one of their mechanics had actually made a special tool for this particular job. They got the rings in and gave me back the cover for no charge...a rare thing for a dealer....

#10 ·
thanks to everyone for the help. this is what makes ownership such a pleasure, what a well of knowlege there is out there, i took about a very carefull half hour to fit the first seal, then the rest went in easy when i got the trick. i postponed repainting till i have more time. i went on a 300 mile trip yesterday and ran without the red spark plug cover and no oil leaks to be seen. thanks again.
fab

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.