Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Do SLKs have anti-reflective (AR) windows?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  FKNBEST 
#1 ·
I know the SLK's windows are tinted, but I'm not sure if they've been coated with an anti-reflective or anti-glare treatment that might be damaged by ammoniated glass cleaner (e.g., Windex)?

The lenses in my prescription eyeglasses are AR'd and I've learned (the hard way!) that Windex (or anything containing ammonia) damages (smears/removes) the coating. The thing is I've always used Windex on car windows since it's cheap and ubiquitous, but I don't want to make a costly mistake when I give the car its first good cleaning/detailing this weekend (presuming the rain breaks long enough to do so).

#5 ·
I don't know? That's what I'm trying to find out.
Every non-customized SLK I've seen has lightly tinted windows, so I'm pretty sure they all come from the factory that way.

Use windex, i also have dark tints, shouldnt be a problem...
Dont quote me but my tints dont have any AR treatment, yours possibaly might, I would test it in a small corner with a tiny amount just to make sure, but im pretty sure mostly all tints can be cleaned with windex
I'm pretty sure you're right, but I thought someone here might know for sure.

#4 ·
Use windex, i also have dark tints, shouldnt be a problem...

Dont quote me but my tints dont have any AR treatment, yours possibaly might, I would test it in a small corner with a tiny amount just to make sure, but im pretty sure mostly all tints can be cleaned with windex

#6 ·
I must admit to never having given a thought to window tints, but I've used Windex on my SLK windows for about 9 years, inside and out. Also headlights. Can't imagine MB using some treatment that would easily wipe off. Surely, there would be a cautionary note in the manual.

--Larry

#10 · (Edited)
This may sound crazy but I never use chemicals on my car windows or windshield. I've always had tinted glass but even before I get the tints on the car I just use a wet chamois (a real one not the crap you see on tv). I have one I use to wipe the dash and instrument cluster off with, and I have one for the windows. I clean the windows after every washing. Since I currently have a convertible I only use armoral on the dash 2's a year. Any other time I just knock the dust off with the chamois.

Have fun with the detail, and be sure to add plenty of wax :D

#11 ·
Honestly i dont even use windex anymore, i used to untill i started to use that rain-x window treatment to de-fog the inside's, well that was untill i found out it was 100% denatured alcahol! so now i go to Lowes/Home depot and buy the $8 quart of alcahol for the insides, i still use the Rain-X rain repellent on all outside windows and mirrors!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.