Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Metal to Metal

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  retpsp 
#1 ·
A couple of nights ago as I was backing my car and there was a significant metal to metal rubbing noise coming from the right front wheel area when the brakes were applied. The vibration could be felt coming through the gear selector. The noise was not present when breaking going forward.

I let the car set a few days and tried it again. Not as bad this time? There is a slight rub sound going forward as if something is out of round. However, the metal to metal noise when applying the brakes when backing is a very serious concern. An appointment with my ID MB service center will be made, annual inspection is due. 39,000 miles.

#2 ·
That is often caused by debris. A small stone wedged between the backing plate and rotor or an even smaller piece wedged into the pad.

I am assuming the obvious that your pads are not worn out.

#6 ·
So, what did you see ?????

#7 ·
Nothing yet. I did jack up the right front and spun the wheel both forward and backwards, no sound. No noticeable gouging or anything that looks unusual on the rotor or with the pads. Checked for play in the wheel bearing, nothing there. Am a little intimidated about taking things apart. Did read all the information and the DIY. Think I will watch the mechanic do it first. Thanks for the information. (No I am not going to change the eagle to a chicken).

#8 ·
If the pads are just beginning to reach the end of their usable service life, you probably won't see any damage to the rotors (yet). What you want to check is the thickness of the pads and to be sure there's still sufficient pad material to keep the pads' metal backing plates from coming into direct contact with the rotors. A new set of rotors will look something like this (different car, but the general layout is the same on most disc-brake cars):

In this photo, you can see the difference between a pair of worn out pads (at left) and a new pair (at right):

Note: The brakes/pads in these photos are not from an SLK.

#10 ·
Those are about the thinnest "new" pads I have ever seen, what are they off of?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.