Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mercedes Transmission Fluid

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  slk230golfer 
#1 ·
I remember some members were using fluid other than the expensive Merc fluid. I would love an update on different synthetic, Chrysler etc. Im tired of paying the ridiculous price and availability of the OEM stuff but im not willing to chance the tranny on an experiment.:help:

#2 ·
i just did the tranny flush using the fluid for a crossfire srt-6. at the chrysler dealer the puter calls for the same fluid in the benz. its approx 3 $ per qt cheaper not a big diff but over 8 qts 24$. the tranny in the crossfire is the same as the slk. same for the brake fluid.
main diff for me is the m/b dealer is over 40 miles away and theres a chrysler dealer in my town. downside is the just about have to order everything! they had 8 qts on their shelf

#8 · (Edited)
Could someone tell me the type of fluid I need for the retractable roof pump and where do I pour it in?
Buy the fluid from MB,.. it's not gonna break the bank at @ $20.00 USD.

I attached a file with .pdf extension,.. download it to your disk and then rename the extension .zip ( I needed to trick the upload to allow me to upload this 1.4Mb file here)

Inside you will find a Word doc and 3 .bmp files, study them and you'll know what to do.

I used a syringe I bought at the pharmacy used to feed babies via a long thin tube,.. that worked for me. No need to pull out the pump,.. just do it nice and slow...

Attachments

#16 ·
Dear Members,
Would appreciate your advice as to does the retractable roof pump hydraulic oil needs to be changed or does it dries up and need to be refilled ?
Thank you

I believe it never needs to be changed,.. you should however occasionally use the hydraulics once in a while (God knows why you wouldn't ;) ),.. just fill it if ever level goes down (normally due to a leak). If you never have a leak which not everyone will, that is great!,.. but do check level atleast once a year, and always be on the lookout for the slightest leak from the visible cylinders.

#17 ·
Fluid doesn't need changing but replace the fluid as needed to fill lines on plastic reservoir. Mine completely dried out. Top went up and down fine after filling the reservoir. Difficult to remove fill screw, be careful not to drop screw or washer. The fluid is MB propriatery and I could not find anyone, not even AMS, that has anything to replace it. Use other fluids at your own risk. Good luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.