BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2004 230SLK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cam shaft adjuster magnet

Must admit I have been devouring all the good stuff on this forum. When I pulled the front top engine cover I was not surprised to see all the oily gunk there. When I pulled the connector on the cam adj magnet I saw oil in the connector. Looked down the wiring loom and saw no signs of oil. Guess I caught it in time. In any event I ordered a new magnet and cleaned up the front of the engine. In looking at the mounting bolts I saw a lot of oil had migrated along the threads. It looks to me as though some thread sealer would help the situation here. Is there a specific reason that oil seems to get inside the connector? I would think the magnet coil is molded around the wires and would seal any chance of oil getting in the connector. I plan to split the old unit apart (mine is riveted and not spot welded) and have a look at it. Has anyone done this? I sure hate to dispose of a good magnet just for an oil seepage. Perhaps there is a way to reseal this. Thanks to all who contribute here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 slk230,firemist
No way to reseal. New magnet install and cleanup should solve problem. Use sensor safe gasket sealer. Mercedes does sell a plug that solves the oil creeping up the loom problem. Or just check it regularly. Regular problem, bad manufacturig.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your answer gandaliff. Being a new owner I am surprised that Mercedes has not come up with a fix other than a wire dam to prevent oil migration. Guess I have a lot to learn!
#4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 10:29 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: '01 SLK230 Kompressor, '95 C280, '98 BMW 528i, '86 BMW M635CSi EURO, '87 190E 2.3-16
Send a message via Skype™ to masterdog
Same here, oil in the plug, replacement cures it.
Good luck!

Someday I'll come up with something very clever instead of this
#5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Disassembled cam adjust magnet

My curiosity got the best of me and I removed the rivets from the old unit to see what sort of a sealing system they use. It's pretty basic with a silicon rubber washer on either end of the magnet coil. There are 2 ribs on each washer which press against the coil. The ribs on mine are mashed down which allows oil to seep through to the coil. There appears to be a center spool which is pressed into the coil body. This is where the oil can leak into the magnet body and out the connector tabs. I think washers could be made from 1/16" closed cell neoprene foam and the magnet reused. I would use small flat head machine screws to put it back together so a gasket change could be made easily. I will send some pictures of the assembly taken apart in a later post.
The new unit goes on the engine easily. I have a 1/4" drive torq head socket set so I cut a short piece of 1/4" keystock and with a 1/4" open end wrench, used it to tighten the screw which is behind the water temp sensor.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Pictures of disassembled magnet assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
I would like to see those pictures, thanks in advance
Here are some quickee pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	229639   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	229640   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	229641   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	229642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0006.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	229643  

jguzman likes this.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Shit-can the piece of crap, I, like you love to know why things fail, the problem is, in a car that costs this much, covered in Mecedes lore, should not fail on a regular basis.Don't get me wrong, for the last 5 yrs I've spent a fair amout of time and money fixing the "queen", and when its running good, its all been worth it. Check out consumer reports on new Mercedes, they rank low on dependability. Mercedes better wake up before Toyota buys them! Thank you for letting me vent!
#8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Just a tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganndallff View Post
Shit-can the piece of crap, I, like you love to know why things fail, the problem is, in a car that costs this much, covered in Mecedes lore, should not fail on a regular basis.Don't get me wrong, for the last 5 yrs I've spent a fair amout of time and money fixing the "queen", and when its running good, its all been worth it. Check out consumer reports on new Mercedes, they rank low on dependability. Mercedes better wake up before Toyota buys them! Thank you for letting me vent!
I can understand the frustration of many members here on the forum. I started my sports car life with an MG many many years ago. Between the Lucas electricals and the leaking SU carbs it was always a chore to keep them running right. I not only like to know "why" but like to try to solve what the car companies can't seem to do. They build these wonderful cars and are destroyed by nickel and dime stuff. This failing part should have been redesigned years ago but it's brought them lots of dollars in parts and labor.
Over the years, my attitude has become, how can you bond with your car unless you get your hands dirty? I hope Toyota never buys them! Thanks for your comments.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

I feel better today. It just pisses me off that merc puts poorly designed K-40 relay, fan resistor, CPS, cam magnet, divertor valve, leaking emissions lines etc. They fail on a regular basis. Ive owned a lot of merc, my personal favorite, the 1967 250S, never had anything go wrong. Triumphs, MG's and Jaguar, you expect English electronics, not Mercedes.
Anyway, I love the pics, It really helps. Keep sending.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganndallff View Post
I feel better today. It just pisses me off that merc puts poorly designed K-40 relay, fan resistor, CPS, cam magnet, divertor valve, leaking emissions lines etc. They fail on a regular basis. Ive owned a lot of merc, my personal favorite, the 1967 250S, never had anything go wrong. Triumphs, MG's and Jaguar, you expect English electronics, not Mercedes.
Anyway, I love the pics, It really helps. Keep sending.
You hit the nail on the head. Your argument explains why a lot of industries are in bed with each other nowadays: they figured out that there is no PROFIT in building excellent machines for the masses. Just make them good enough to keep folks buying, oh and by the way, inflation has always been rising too, so how do these guys expect to compete in an ever-changing, ever-costly market place? why, save on cost wherever you can. Cuts here and there, the occasional low-ball offer for mediocre parts suppliers, heck, the repair shops have to eat too, so throw in a little planned obsolescence. The culture of manufacturing has changed completely; it used to be when something was built it was built to last the life cycle of the machine, but not so any more. The times have changed indeed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.