Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Lubing vario roof - pics (1)Krytox (2)grease

152K views 67 replies 37 participants last post by  The Sphynx 
#1 · (Edited)
Been meaning to do this for some time.

Places to use Krytox for a quiet roof - pay special attention to butt joint areas and any rubber buffers.

EDIT -- Other members have chipped in with the following lubricants which are much cheaper than Krytox!
Dow Corning 111 valve lubricant and sealant
Honda Shin Etsu silicone grease

The lubricants pictured are a bit of overkill - could also add some of the white marine grease that can be handy !!!

Welcome any additional lube points discovered!!!

Bruce

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for the detail! I see a couple that I missed. I'll get the rest if the temp ever climbs above freezing.:(

#10 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Hey Oberoi,

I read a recent thread where you recommended the Krytox for keeping the roof quiet. So I went to the Grainger Catalog and purchased a 2 or 4 oz. tube of the Krytox PTFE “O” ring lubricant.

Holly cow that tube ran $50.00! Who cares right? Anyway I applied it in all the locations you indicate this weekend while I had the roof semi closed. I also took the time to honestly clean that back window, what a pain.

Good tip. That Krytox lube should stay wet and prevent squeaks. Krytox is sort of hard to smooth around. Hey if it keeps “O” rings sealed and guaranteed not to degenerate that rubber so the better.

Thanks very much,
Zill.

PS. The Alan Vipond Tautflex is very a very nice product. Easy to apply, very forgiving and a perfect match. Thanks for that tip and ordering help!

#11 ·
Hey Oberoi,

I also took the time to honestly clean that back window, what a pain.

PS. The Alan Vipond Tautflex is very a very nice product. Easy to apply, very forgiving and a perfect match. Thanks for that tip and ordering help!
Thanks Zill - nice to be appreciated - the inside of the back window can be easily cleaned when the roof is fully down by access from the trunk(retract blind) - only thing to watch out for is knocking the 2 blocks off the window.

Bruce

#14 ·
You're talking to a techno/neanderthal on this stuff!!

I'm using Windows XP (home) and the programme is 'paint'

After an automatic update from MS about 3 mths ago my pics suddenly lost the adobe photoshop facility and got the 'paint' link on each photo. - easy to navigate

I'll put some pics on if they'll help

Bruce

#15 · (Edited)
This is a great guide and well put together, this needs to go in the sticky info bit :thumbsup:

32 the rubbing thing I have also, I have been told some stick some felt on the plastic or heat it up with a hot air gun and apply some pressure to blend it in somewhat, I am going to get a heat gun on mine soon Ill tell you how it go's.

#17 ·
It was a MB fitter that told me the heat gun thing, its only 1mm in it so he said.

#20 · (Edited)
I open it today at midpoint with the engine running, immediately it self shut itself to the close position when I switched off the engine. I started the engine through out to ensure it does not topple over during the cleaning and greasing operation. This is the best bet albeit not good for the carbon footprint.:D

#23 · (Edited)
One of these cam like nuts was loose on my car -provides an important 'lock up' for the roof and obviously could rattle if not tight/locked up properly - see updated pics

I checked the wear marks on the tight nut and set the loose nut to the same position- bit hit and miss but better than random position - rotating this eccentric nut will tighten or loosen the tension for the lock up

The only extra lubing I would suggest is a bit of Krytox on the rubber where the glass rubs and butts into. Stayed away from this before for clean glass but it's not too bad if grease is minimally applied

Bruce

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
Grease Monkey

The other day I used Gummi P. and absolutely loved it. Now I know why the BMW crowd can't get enough of this stuff. To my surprise applying Gummi P. is real easy, it goes on watery but minutes later you'll see an oily film left over; after all is done your car smells like citrus, very nice substitute for DuPont's pricey Krytox lube. So if you've been wanting to recondition the rubber seals in your squeaky car, you are in luck, here is the link: 1Z einszett Rubber Care Stick "Gummi Pflege"
------------------------------------------------------
Qty_Item_____________________Cost
1___1Z einszett Rubber
____Care Stick "Gummi Pflege"____$7.95

Subtotal: $7.95
Shipping: $5.95
Tax (FL only): $0.00
10% savings (coupon: MYSPACE10): -$0.80

Total: $13.10
------------------------------------------------------

After leaving Gummi P. over night, I found out it's not waterproof. Going to stop by the hardware store (Lowe's) later and pick up some DuPont silicone lube and lithium grease to get the hardware juiced up. Thanks a bunch oberoi for the pics, they've help so much.

Grease Monkey Rules:

Fist clean any metal on metal part with WD40 then,

High temp. Metal on Metal (wheel bearings, CV joints) = RedLine CV-2 syn. Grease

Metal on Metal (hinges) = Lithium Grease

Metal on Rubber (break pistons) = Silicon Grease

Rubber on Rubber (weather seal) = Gummi P. or Krytox

P.S. If anyone is interested in trying out the promotional pack the 303 product Inc. offers--virtually for free--I'll pass down the link: 303 Auto Care | Free Samples Kit. All you have to pay for is shipping which is only $5.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.