Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Dirty Secrets... }:^P

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  FKNBEST 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got an amazing deal today on some SLK parts and the company behind it revealed their dirty secrets to me. First read this webpage's message to understand what I am conveying here [Disclaimer--be forewarned this might shock you]: U.S. Auto Parts Network, Inc.. I should be content with my gain today (or loses, however you like to see it) but I want to expose this company and show my fellow SLK owners what really is transpiring out of this materialistic world.

If you have ever shopped over the internet for performance parts then some of those web addresses may sound familiar to you. Don't think you are the only one asking ‘why are all performance part’s prices the same all over the internet?’. Now you know: ONE man is running the show and he veils himself under a corporation (like so many others); it's not a coincidence. The only competition he really has are small privately owned backyard autopart stores, like AutoHausAZ ; and that’s because they haven’t got a corner of most OEM parts. But soon, when the price is right, even Mercedes-Benz will lease out a contract permitting them to sell their propriety parts. Everyone else has!

What’s really funny is U.S.A. is a country running off capitalistic fumes; before we (better yet, our children ) know it, everything is going to be run by one corporation from one headquarter by one mind, who will have the authority to tell us when to breathe. We are all captives forced to play the game of Monopoly with the stakes stack against us. Many of you don’t know it yet, but as time goes on—if it’s allowed to continue—corporations (that is, society’s elite) will become more bold and upfront, I mean greedy. Ask yourself why the poor get poorer and the rich get richer or why are there so many poor yet so few rich?

I’ve uncovered one example relative to this forum discourse but there are so many more, so called corporations, who control our money. Wake up, before it's too late! We are all spellbounded by this materialistic enterprise. Just remember all things under the sun is vanity and who is your true master.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I was going to buy CLK55 AMG calipers off eBay but didn't feel like going through the hassle of installing new rotors, brake lines, and brackets and also it was a gamble whether or not they would fit. So I decided on this buy from SpeedyCarParts A.K.A. U.S. Auto Parts Network, Inc.:

Parts Ordered
1998 - 2004 Mercedes Benz SLK230 NHT Calipers Brake Caliper Brake Caliper Price: $314.95 Qty: 1 Part #: 24Y02724

1998 - 2004 Mercedes Benz SLK230 NHT Calipers Brake Caliper Brake Caliper Price: $299.95 Qty: 1 Part #: 24Y02728

1998 - 2004 Mercedes Benz SLK230 EBC Brake Pad Set Brake Pad Set Price: $99.23 Qty: 1 Part #: E35DP31055C

1998 - 2004 Mercedes Benz SLK230 EBC Brake Pad Set Brake Pad Set Price: $77.89 Qty: 1 Part #: E35DP31191C

Sub Total: $792.02
Shipping: $12.83
Handling: $19.80
Dicount: 10%
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Total: $745.45

These prices are so low right now because this website is somewhat new, so they're offering promotional savings to get their internet traffic up to speed with their other sites out there. I saved $126 on the brakes alone, compared to the leading competitors; MSRP lists the set for $1230! EBC Redstuff brakes, I saved $10 compared to the leading competitors. Plus another $79 for the discount. I spoke to them once more to see if they do a core refund, hope so. I am still waiting for a reply. Altogether I saved $215, what a bargain. If AutoHausAZ doesn't have the part and it's not a MB part (if so go to Prime Parts Superstore) you're looking for I definately recommend this website.

#6 · (Edited)
That's my point, I did go with them. First read U.S. Auto Parts Network, Inc. and you'll get a better understanding of what I'm really trying to saying. One other analogous example that comes to mind: you do know Coca-Cola Inc. pretty much makes every beverage in market but brands it to target specific consumers (e.g. A&W, Dasani, Sprite, Minute Maid, Dr. Pepper, etc. are all Coca-Cola products)? Well U.S. Auto Parts Network, Inc. is doing the same thing but online with car parts. So 4 out of 5 times you're shopping online for car parts, you're just navigating a U.S. Auto Parts Network, Inc. online cover front store. Sooner or later U.S.A. is going to be completely bought out by big corporations becuase small privately owned shops will be either bankrupted or sell out. It's already in the process; sadly, the masses are just disillusioned by capitalism and have become insensitive and ignorant to these matters. All it boils down to is who controls the cash flow; the middle class who make the majority of it obviously don't.

#7 ·
i think i get your point. but coca cola makes different products for different tastes. if all these stores are fronts for them they are just selling the same parts.
look at rwiamerica on ebay for their rotors. priced me 334$ for front and rear dilled rotors shipped. also pacific autosports has akebono pads for 149 front and rear shipped

#8 · (Edited)
Just In

The brakes finally arrived and the website I bought them from (Speedy Car Parts) doesn't offer the core redemption, however, NuGeon’s sister company, QB Rebuilders, Inc. (QBR) does offer a refund of $200 dollors for all four rebuildable calipers ($50 per caliper). The savings just keep on stacking up. By the way, these calipers are regular OEM calipers that have been rebuilt and powder coated; you can see the MB logo and the ATE brand through the paint. Take a look at the eye candy. Nothing special in the performance braking power but they do look much better than old and rusty stock calipers.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
The Alternative

You are correct, essentially; and with the core fee the price would go down to $415 to get my like-new calipers powder coated. Then again, I could have done this myself by buying new calipers and then having them powder coated. Lets see: new OEM ATE calipers, front and rear, at a wholesale dealership would cost me $705 with shipping. Then the powder coat would probably run me 40 dollars a caliper (I'm getting my springs powdercoated and they want $90 for all four); totaling $160, roughly. Consequently I would be stuck with my old rusty calipers and have paid $865 to have fresh looking calipers. I really do think I got a bargin. Considering how other website, most of them being a front for U.S. Auto Parts Network, Inc., are charging double that to just get your calipers powder coated. One more thought, if I really wanted to be frugal--by saving $400-- I could have bought some AMG decals and caliper paint or spray paint, either one seeing how the quality is the same, and done that myself; the overall result--having unslighly old lumpy painted calipers.

This reminds me, what do you guys think about having the SLK emblem on the front calipers and the 230 on the rears? I don't mean a decal or some paint, I mean the actual SLK plastic.

#11 ·
Callipers look really good manic :thumbsup: but what was wrong with your old ones:confused:

I dont think putting the SLK logo on is a good look imho...plus you will need to make sure there is enough clearance between caliper and wheel. You can get Mercedes (or even AMG if you want ;)) from Welcome to Xenonmods.com. I bought the Merc ones but havent fitted them yet because theyre just a bit too big I think, they look like this http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r17...ds-painted-calipers-turned-2.html#post2852187

#12 · (Edited)
Progress continues...

My brakes have been working flawlessly for the past 10 years, but I decided it was time for a new look; thus I will also be sending out spare coil springs to be powder coated red. This should complete my aesthetic mods and I will now focus on performance tuning modifications.

The list of performance mods is immense and I will be taking my time to get all the parts desired before I start hacking at the M111 (hopefully the ECU doesn't get overloaded when I install everything at once). You guys will be in for a treat as I plan to document every little step required to extract the most HPs out of the power deprived SLK in a future (DIY/How-To) post, in the making, labeled: Performance tips and such................ This post should rival Tech tips and such............ and will greatly assist those who want a car with 250+ RWHP but don't know where to start. The only problem is it will be specific to the pre-fl models (my car). So it will be up to post-fl owners to share their secrets for other fellow post-fl members. Nonetheless, it should give ideas to those who have later models as what is possible. I've gathered up almost all the information this forum has to offer and made vital links with members who will be detrimental in advancing my goals.

Lastly, since I will have so many spare parts lying around in the near future, if someone who ones a 98’ - 99’ SLK wants to upgrade the looks of their car for half the price I paid; I will be more than glad to offer used springs, backing plates, and calipers which you can have powder coated any color you like. If you have fancy rims this package is a must if you want your shoes to truly look fresh.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Mission Complete

After much sweat, blood and time, I finally managed to fit all these parts onto my car. Things went a little sour and this project took much more time than I had thought necessary. Went ahead and crazy glued the SLK emblem onto my brake calipers even though one member (damo230) advised me not to. Overall, the front brake calipers look stunning in motion, although the rear ones are hidden away quiet well. Getting the springs coated (red) really wasn't the best idea, that is until you look under the car. In addition, all the heat treatment the springs got from the powdercoat made them a bit stiffer, which is a good thing; now my tyres don't rub anymore! To make things even better my mechanic only charged me $250 to do all this plus some other things!

Attachments

#15 ·
Hey manic, you know you could have sent you old stock breaks out to get powdercoated at some local shop... They would sandblast your breaks, then coat them, prob for less then 400... I mean, they did my mitsubishi valve cover flat black for $50...

My friend owns his own shop, i asked about it b4 but i dont think i would powdercoat my stock breaks, im picking up 32Amg fronts on saturday, i will just paint them myself, im getting the good paint kit, the one with the paint+hardener... I am then ptting AMg brake stickers and doing a layer of clear on them... It will look very profesional, as it will be around my 8th time doing this...

To each his own, but im not a big fan of the SLK emblems on the brakes, very cheesie, i would get a sticker made... they cost like $4-6 for all 4, you pick the color and size... and then get the high heat brake clear can, and it will look profesionaly done and shiny & easy to keep clean!

#16 · (Edited)
Seeing how the SLK is a daily driver, the only option I had was to buy new brakes. I choose NHT calipers because they had the color I wanted and it was a direct replacment part, except for the stainless steel lines. IMO replacing 230 brakes with 32 AMG brakes is the best way to go. Be nice enough to post before and after pictures when you finish. I did the math way back when I was buying all this and the AMG set-up, new, cost a 4 to 5 hundred dollars more because of all the additional hardware required. Only if ebay had used 32AMG brakes for sale, I would had jumped all over it. However, I'm happy with my new set-up; yellow/red on black is a nice match (german colors). The emblems might look cheesy but as far as I know, I'm the only person who has their car emblems on their calipers. I thought about the whole decal thing real hard but I just decided to go all out and consequently one-uped all the decal people, lol. (Re) read post #10. I do have to say though, decals don't scream bling as much as chrome emblems, haha. All and all, with all the other asthetic mods I have on this car, the brakes look damn good (see picture).

#17 ·
well i got the calipers for 150, thats a freaking robbery if you ask me! i have yet to fit them or try, busy, just replaced a wheel bearing on the front pass side today... its comming along...

Im trying to customize it as profesionaly as i can on a budget... i dont think many will approve of my rims and hood in a few weeks, but to me the car is very eligant and tastfully put together... only time will tell...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.