Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Review - Fuzion ZRi Tires on SLK32

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  buggin 
#1 ·
As I haven't read much of folks using them here on the forums... I figured I will start a Long-term review on these affordable tires.

Cost for 4 tires (staggered setup for stock AMG wheels) = $360 shipped from Roadway Tires in Pomano, FL. This is the 4th set of tires I've orderd from them... (just do a search) I have yet to find a better price on-line or local. Note: they went up by a few dollars after I ordered mine.

I barely got 20k miles out of my Falken FK452 (aggresive driving), I thought I'd try out a set of the Fuzion ZRi's on my SLK32. I have run them on my VW Beetle for over a year with great results. Just wasn't sure on a rear-wheel drive high-hp automobile...

Initial review (apx 50 miles):
DRY Pavement - Very good grip. Can break them loose on initial acceleration if I try (stomping on the gas). The sidewalls are firm and the cornering feels very accurate.

WET Pavement - Will post when it happens...

I will occasionally post updates on my results. Hopefully these will last at least as long as the Falkens.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the fuzion zri's when i had my stock 16" wheels. They were ok. Not bad at all for its price. They lasted me for a little more than a year before they needed to be replaced. Now I went with 18's and got the Falken FK452's. I've had them for a year now and the ride is a lot quieter and smoother than the fuzions. Of course, they cost almost 2x more!

#4 ·
General Tires are awesome! I had them on my Mitsubishi Pajero when I was back in the Philippines. They had awesome grip and looked really nice wrapped around the rims. Very affordable too!

#5 ·
Opps! I take that back. A bit of confusion here. It was a brand called "federal" that I had not general. Ever heard of them? They ran real smooth and had great grip.

#7 ·
Well, 14 months and the rears are bald... FWIW, I drive VERY aggressively and have put apx 20k on them.

Even though I got an alignment when I installed them, the tire wear is rediculous! The front: both outside edges are down to cords and the inside edges have a lot of tread. The rear: the inside edge is down to cords and the outside edge is close to bald...

I know this is an old thread, but OJ... you show Falken tires in your sig. You consider that a high-end tire? Um, ok...

Not sure what I'll try next. Trying to find a balance of a long-life tire and a sticky tire... I've come to the conclusion that this is not easy to come by and it may be easier to just by new tires every 12-15 months...

#9 ·
allen i have dunlop dirreza sports on my 32 now and will let you know how they go. i know for sure they are true summer tires. skate board hard in cold weather!

you better look out, i know someone who is gunnin for you!!! (bmorgan) his new drag setup is the bomb!

#10 ·
As my tires are WAY bald... I have to pick something quick. I'm actually running around on my Mickey Thompsons for now...

And since I have dedicated track tires, I'm leaning towards Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Positions... They have a 40k warrantee. The guy at Firestone said they are the best for my car... I laughed, and said "IF I get these... be prepared for me to be back in a year for a new set (under warrantee)..."

The other tire I was contemplating is the Hankook Ventus H105... I'm trying to find a tire that is a good compromise between high HP traction and long life...

As far as Bob... "Bring it on brotha"! My MT's are broken in and I've been practicing launching on them... It will be close, but I rep the SLK's well and take him out. ;) Hopefully the rain holds out this weekend!

#11 ·
I don't see how tyre mileage can be discussed without looking at the relative wear ratings.

Fuzion ZRis are 320AA
Dunlop Direzza sports are only 200AA (so not too many miles there)
B/stone RE960AS are 400AA
Hankook Ventus H105s are 420 AA

All these are directional which means no tyre rotation on the SLK unless they are demounted

Just got a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS (540AA) that should give good wear and survey results are promising - also non directional -- g'teed 50k miles

Oberoi

#12 ·
Oberoi, you are correct. I have been checking the ratings. Unfortunately the way each manufacturer does thier final calculation is not regulated. So, the UTQG rating is a decent start to your research.

More gee-wiz info: All tires must be run on the same 7200 mi "test". A tire rated at 100 will last the 7200mi. So a 400 theoretically will last a min of 4x7200 or 28,800 mi.

So using that info... My Fuzions should have lasted 23,040 miles. I dug up my old paperwork and I'm at 21k. So thier rating of 320 is about on point, since I have used & abused them at the dragstrip a bunch...

Now, the Bridgestone has a 40k warrantee. So it 'technically' should be rated a 550 to last that long... hummm.

ANYWAYS, enough babbling, right?
I've decided to order the Bridgestones. Getting them on my military base, they are $715 m&b (with out the added road hazard coverage). I'll probably get the "lifetime alignment also for $150. So if I notice them wearing funny again, I can just have them tweek the alignment for 'free'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.