BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2001 SLK320 Convertible Hardtop Problem

Hello everyone!

My name is Cameron and I have had a 2001 SLK320 for a few years now. I am new to the forum and figured I would see if someone has heard of my new problem.

I am having a problem with my convertible hardtop as of a few days ago.

It is currently in the retracted (down) position and I would like to put it back up.

When I push the switch (up or down) the little light inside doesn't come on. Nothing happens at all.

I poked around under the hood and found that my #7 Fuse was blown

#7 Fuse = 5A, Soft top control indicator, Transmission control Park/Reverse Lock

I replaced it thinking that maybe it would work. When I proceeded to start the SLK again the fuse blew right away.

Anyone know what I might be up against? Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cameron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2010 C200cgi W203/SLK230/C180/230E/280SE
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Check the main (roof circuit) 40 amp fuse under the fuse cover - No. 23 or 24 I think - clearly marked on list

If that fuse is blown, look for a reason - mine was stiff hinges

Oberoi

Last edited by oberoi; 09-29-2008 at 02:17 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Oberoi,

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked but that was not the case.

Anyone have any idea where I should start my search?

The #7 5A fuse blows when I put the key in and turn the 2nd click.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 95 SL 320
I really don't know the answer to your problem, but I would be willing to help you figure it out.

Do you notice anything else not working? Does your car run ok? Can you shift it into reverse? Does the fuse only blow when the parking brake is on, or does it blow all the time. Do your reverse lights come on when you put the care in reverse? Since the fuse description sounds like it controls mostly the things in your center console, I would assume you need to look for problem there.

My caveat is that I have only driven my SLK for a day, so I may not be the right person to be listening to.

Current Car: 95 SL 320
Past Benzs:
1998 SLK 230 Kompressor
1991 190 E
1985 380 SL
1967 230
#5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 03:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 02 - 32 (Stock); 99 SLK230 (RIP); 81 CJ7 (Fully MOD)
You can also do it manually from the trunk by releasing the allen screw (on the pump reservoir) a bit (not too much) then push it back up & lock it. The manual should tell you how to get it done.

I've done it 1 or 2 times

DW
#6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Do you have anything plugged into your cigarette lighter?

Past Benzs:
1998 SLK 230 Kompressor
1991 190 E
1985 380 SL
1967 230
#7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The car has been running good fine and I have yet to have a problem with it.

It is stored in the winters and to be honest I have only had it out about a month. I was in the process of gathering oil and filter to do change the oil and it just quit.

Nothing is plugged into the 12v lighter plug. Come to think of it I don't think it ever has.

The reverse lights come on as normal.

The #7 fuse blows as soon as the car is put into the 2nd click position with the key (acc.) it happens with the parking brake on/off.

The transmission does seem to know it is in P/R/N/D (shows which gear in the gauge cluster)

I think the problem could be with a short somewhere around soft top controller or the transmission park/reverse lock? But I really don't know?

Thanks for the help with the thought train and keep it comming if you have any new ideas!!

Cameron

Last edited by the_grimace; 10-01-2008 at 01:43 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2001 Red SLK 320
This may be a long shot but I had a similar experience where it turned out to be the fan sitting under the controller/fuse box in engine compartment. Took a shop a looong time to diagnose and find the problem and the fan was fried!

My problem started when the roof didn't respond - no light at switch. I plan to post more shop details soon.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Was the fan shorted and causing the fuse to blow? I still haven't found the issue yet, but need to soon as it is getting cold here in Michigan and the SLK likes to hibernate with the top up.

hanzbenz thanks for the info I will look into that tonight! Any more info you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Was it a mouse that chewed a wire? There is minute evidence of a mouse while in the possession the previous owner and I am not totally sure where the little bugger could have been/chewed.

Anyone know the software that is used to diagnose Mercedes? I have access to VAGCOM software, but it seems as that is VW/Seat/Skoda.

Thanks!

Cameron
#10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Ah, a Mouse helps this make more sense. A Broken wire is the most obvious cause for a short. Do you know where the mouse nested? If you could find some kind of indication, it would help you figure out where to start your search.

Is there any other problem with your car? Do you door locks work? Do you windows roll up?

The fact the fuse blows as soon as the car is turned on makes the problem a little tougher to solve. If it was tied to the top switch, you think it would only blow when you closed the circuit (pressed the switch) That makes me think it is not the switch. The reverse lock is only suppose to engage at about 2.5 miles an hour, so I wouldn't think it is that either. What else does fuse 7 control?

According to the posts, Carsoft seems to be a good tool to access the Benz's computer. They say you can buy a copy off of a world famous auction site. The key is you buy a Multiplexer version, or you have to check each controller seperatley (And there are a bunch of them) A multiplexer checks all the controllers automatically but is more expensive. From what I read, a multiplexer is the way to go.

Past Benzs:
1998 SLK 230 Kompressor
1991 190 E
1985 380 SL
1967 230

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class