Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New slk owner

11K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  Griff230 
#1 ·

2000 Mercedes Benz SLK230 w/sport-AMG body package. 65,000 miles, from Virginia. Interior need a complete overhaul (console, headliner, seats, dash), wheels are shot, and then the obvious outside damage. Should be a fun project for the next few months.

See less See more
#29 ·
Im preparing my 98 SLK for sale and noticed in one of those pictures the grey engine cover has blistering paint. I noticed it slowly start on mine and now I see it has blistered over most the grey are, the red Kompressor bit it fine.

Does anyone know if there is a DIY paint like the interior paint you can get to repaint the top gey engine cover. Alternatively Im told I would have to remove it which will require a new gaskett, then hand it over to a paint shop.

It gives the impression when you pop the lid that the engine has been over heated so I would like to get it fixed before I sell it. Or if a buyer asks should I just say its a manufacturing fault???

#30 · (Edited)
Many of the 230s that I've seen have the same blistered paint. Bazzle re-painted his, and there is a detailed description of his progress in here if you run a search. He DID remove his cover, but he never did anything half-way!

---A new thread just popped up about blistering paint. Bazzle's soultion was posted there.---

#42 ·
Ok, so finally got it out of storage today. And since it was 60 degrees and sunny out, i decided to put the interior back in (or start to at least).

Freshly painted interior:

I removed the kick panel cushion. This make a ton more room for tall people like me, and it made a huge difference.

Before:

#43 ·
All back in:

Tomorrow is getting the new seats in, new head liner, fixing the glove box, replacing the brakes, and changing the oil.

Now the one problem i'm having is getting the driver's door panel back on. It seems that when i'm hooking up the door handle cable, there is a ton of slack it in, and it won't open the door. Is there a trick to this, or a better picture of the door side connection of this cable?

#46 ·
Did a little more work today. Finished the interior and did the brakes. All that is left is the door panel, and thats a whole nother problem

Brakes ... what do you think?

Out with the old seat..

In with the 'new'

Same for the center console compartment cover

and the glove box in

and the brand new headliner

#47 ·
HOLY COW ! Awesome Project Mate !! You work REALLY FAST!!

Love the idea of buying a project car, maybe I will find a '32 someday and do this with someday !!

Amazing Job man!! You work super fast, compared to most fixes I have had done !!

You want some work sent your way ?! lol

Again, AWESOME JOB !!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#50 ·
Well unfortunately i'm going to be selling it. I'm trying to buy a house, and having this as a 3rd car just isn't practical right now. Its a shame though, cause i'm sure having a lot of fun with it right now.

So next up in the list is:
1) Fix the door panel
2) Oil/plugs/air filter
3) For some reason the left zone is stuck on hot air blowing out
4) Repair/re-paint rims and put new tires on it

And i think thats about it. I'm hoping to have it for sale by the end of April

#52 · (Edited)
Great fix-up. Now you need (prepare for a crass commercial message) the wheels from my 280 (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-trade-wanted-items/1428372-fs-16-slk-wheels-w-michelin.html). There's a pix there of an R170 with the 280 wheels. Great (almost-new rubber too).

I had a 2000 Limited Edition 230 with the same interior and the paint shipped off that, as well. I admire your work.

Enjoy the ride. As a native Upstater (Finger Lakes) I know you'll enjoy the summers with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.