Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine Cover Clips - Dealer lies!

16K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  surferC300 
#1 ·
I'm missing a small metal clip that sits on the underside of the plastic cover that sits over the front of the the engine. Went to the stealership today, and guess what, they don't have a part number for this silly 10 cent clip, I have to buy the whole engine cover for $135.00! I brought in the cover so he could match the other one with something in the bins, no dice! "Sorry, can't help you, you have to buy the whole cover." Do they think I'm retarded? I checked the cover on my C43, and it uses the same clips - so these are not exotic parts! I sure they have these clips, and hand them out to the service techs when the break/lose one, but I need a part number to demand them. Anybody have access to MB part numbers? Or, does anyone have another source for such silly little parts?

I had this same issue with the same MB dealership about 2 years ago. I was told by the parts guy that I couldn't replace the lense on my broken driving/fog light, I had to buy the whole lamp with the lens, for $150. After I found the MB part numbers for each of the lenses online, I went back to MB and asked for those specific part numbers and he brought them out in 30 seconds - cost? $20 each. I hate these guys!:mad:

#2 · (Edited)
Actually I dont think the Dealer does.. May have to go and apologise to them.

Ive checked on the Russian parts site Êàòàëîã çàï÷àñòåé MB. Âûáîð ìîäåëè. and MB EPC and parts not listed as having a part number.!

Aha !! Part 287 on last pic does :) A 112 094 0041 bracket

Good luck and loose the attitude.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thank you very much for the leg work Bazzle, but unfortunately, it's not the right clip. The clip I need is on the underside of the front cover shown in the first diagram as part 520. This diagram doesn't show the underside or the clip. The clip that you've identified is a large clip that the rubber mount of air cleaner assembly sits on on certain V-8 models.

As far as appologizing, I have nothing to appologize to them for. While I was ticked off that he casually suggested that I have no choice but to spend $135 to replace a 10 cent clip, I was never rude to him. It may be that this clip doesn't have a part number, but I sure they have a box of them in the back, along with other common screws, washers and bolts. He just refused to even look. I doubt that when their service techs lose or break one, they install a whole new cover on the engine. If my attidute towards the parts guys at this dealership is lacking, its because they've tried to screw me before.

Thanks again.

#4 ·
Try getting gaskets. I went looking for an intake manifold gasket, the one in between the top and bottom of the manifold, and Mercedes doesn't sell them nor do they sell any of the internal parts in the manifold.

So basically I bought a $700.00 gasket and got a nice new manifold for free.

#9 ·
True, but it's probably a needle in the haystack, since I'm not likely to find a SLK32, especially one with the engine still in it, and I'm not sure what other MB models would have the same clips. It shouldn't be this difficult to replace a silly little clip. I'll bet if I can find some MP parts lists/diagrams I can probably find the same clip for a different application, and maybe one of them has a part number. Anyway, just in case anyone happens to come accross one or a part number, this is what it looks like. Thanks guys!

Attachments

#8 ·
Having worked for many years in life cycle support of numerous systems, I can tell you that the cost of documenting, producing, storing and catalogueing your ten cent part would make that part for to expensive for you to reasonably purchase if the failure rate (usage)is low.

The last time I had to update a technical document to include a single item that was to be carried in ready stores: a page with exploded parts documention was in excess of $350 per page per document series. Now add in the cost of the various parts listing documents, production specification and contracting cost associated with a third party producer, packaging, shelving at dealership or warehouse, transportation cost and the production of the item. Next--what is the order quantity needed to support demand over the expected life span of the system. How many of this particular part is required based on failure rate and several other statistical investigations.

Some things are just not cost effective to stock individually for any number of reasons. I do believe that the part in question is one of them.

#11 ·
Since you live in the U.S., you can access the official MB parts EPC information via the internet directly from Mercedes for free for one year. You do have to give them a credit card number for security reasons or something but they have never charged me during this first year.

EPC online

It is kind of tricky to navigate and get what you want, but hang with it and you will figure it out. Have your VIN handy. Go to other models to see if you can find the same clip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.