Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

WOOHOOOO...FINALLY!! HEADERS FOR 32/320 FROM A GOOD COMPANY FOR A GOOD RPICE!!!

5K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  jms320 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I dont know man... i havnt seen anything but THINGS THAT WORK from VRP... look into them, you'll be surpised..

After watching/reading Steve and others in the quest for headers on the 32 I've decided to pass on this mod.

Great idea, just not much room to execute and unlike Steve I just wanted headers and not the whole setup. Maybe when the exhaust wears out there will be something, but thats way down the road. Besides, I need more horse power as much as I need a whole in the head.

to each ..their own.

G
#3 ·
After watching/reading Steve and others in the quest for headers on the 32 I've decided to pass on this mod.

Great idea, just not much room to execute and unlike Steve I just wanted headers and not the whole setup. Maybe when the exhaust wears out there will be something, but thats way down the road. Besides, I need more horse power as much as I need a whole in the head.

#5 ·
OJ, I don't know what you have on your car, but those don't look much different (at least frome that pic) from what I have on mine.
The 32 comes with stamped, welded pipes that look just like that. I'll need to see a lot more, and the dyno results to back it up, before I put down $1,000 to $1,200 on unproven equipment.
SteveL (among others) has been working on headers for the 32, and the results apparently weren't worth all the time and effort put into them.
VRP is going to have to show something from an independent dyno before he gets my money.

#6 ·
The picture is of the stock manifods with a prototype collector on the table.

So everyone that says they look just like what is on your car is correct.

If you want to run this on your 32 your biggest challenge is going to be fuel. The current tunes on the market can not provide enough fuel for vehicles running headers and pulley's.

I am very interested in headers but at this point unless someone is going to step up with a set of long tubes I am taking a wait and see attitude. I have just seen to much time and effort invested in multiple header projects for our cars to get too excited at this point.

If they work out and perform and the fuel issue has been addressed I will order a set but until I see proof...

#7 · (Edited)
Guys, don't give up on the headers yet. 430 is correct, those are the stock manifolds along with the new collector. I took my car to Vadim to get the car properly tuned because Chris couldn't do it. After the headers, the car was running too lean so off to LA.

This is ongoing development on my SLK32. After seeing the original header design, Vadim pointed out and I certainly agreed that the header was a restriction because there was no collector. The pictures from Chris looked fine but the final collector was so small in person. Vadim has been working on these for a while but it took quite a while to get flanges. Hoping for good results with these. The collector output is definitely larger than stock.

Vadim is quoting numbers from very similar headers that he made for his C32 so the design has proven to make gains on this engine. I not really sure why anyone else is concerned about the time and effort involved in this project. That is all on me. By the time the headers are done, all you'll have to do is order them, get them installed and get a retune. VRP will have a retune done based on my car.

I agree with OJ on this, VRP has been pretty successful with tuning. They don't put out duds as far as I can tell and they do extensive dyno testing to confirm gains.

#8 ·
Steve I am glad that you chimed in. As soon as I saw the post I knew that they were being built off of your car but since it was not my story to tell.

Like any vendor VRP has some products that perform better than others. Perform your due diligence like you would prior to purchasing any other product. VRP turns out some very good products but they are not infalliable.

Just remember their belt wrap kit and the controversy around it.

#10 ·
Vadim post some more pics the other thread. Things are very tight in this engine bay so it is more work to get if right. Vadim told me that passenger side is complete and from the pics it looks like they are getting close with the drivers side. I think you can see now how different they'll look that the stock manifold.

#15 · (Edited)
SteveL, a big :thumbsup: for your time, effort, & $$ to get these headers done.
Just have a couple of questions for you or anyone else that might have an answer.

Do you think you'll have to lift the motor out to install the headers?
Curious because I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to install the headers. If the estimate of 15-20hp is correct for a 320(will wait for dyno results), then for $1299.00 + install, it becomes tempting to spend the $$ for the hp.

Also, would this be a good time to modify the exhust system & how much total hp would be added with new headers & exhust?

#16 ·
You don't have to remove the motor, just raise one side at a time. I'll ask Vadim how many hours for the install.

The cats will definitely provide a restriction. I personally won't goo to aggressive on the primary cats as the cars are sensitive to emissions. The second cats could definitely be removed or hollowed out.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.