Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

First snow of the year today - seek snow tire advice

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rage2 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm about to enter my first winter with my 1999 SLK 230 in Boston. I've read some posts in the forum and have decided for sure to buy snow tires. I've never bought snow tires before, so I was wondering if someone could provide some newbie advice:

1. I know the stock tires have different sizes in the front and back tires. Should I get snow tires that have the same respective sizes as the stock tires or should all four be the same size? If they should be the same size, what size should they be?

2. Should I put snow tires on the stock wheels or do most of you have separate wheels for the winter? If separate, which ones do you recommend? I'm looking to keep the cost to a minimum, so I'd like to use the stock wheels if possible.

3. Any recommendations on which brand of tires to buy (keeping in mind that I am looking to keep cost down)?

Thanks for your help. Sorry, I realize these are newbie questions, but I'd appreciate the help. If there's a FAQ or something that already answers these please point me to it.

-- Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
snow tire advice

1. I know the stock tires have different sizes in the front and back tires. Should I get snow tires that have the same respective sizes as the stock tires or should all four be the same size? If they should be the same size, what size should they be?

2. Should I put snow tires on the stock wheels or do most of you have separate wheels for the winter? If separate, which ones do you recommend? I'm looking to keep the cost to a minimum, so I'd like to use the stock wheels if possible.

3. Any recommendations on which brand of tires to buy (keeping in mind that I am looking to keep cost down)?
1. Get the tires as close as possible to stock size. On a 230/320 with 16" non sport wheels, you can get winter tires in the exact same size as the OEM all seasons.

2. I mount the winters on my stock 16" wheels, and bought AMG 17" wheels for the summer. Makes more sense than buying another set of wheels just for winter.

3. Michellin Alpins, Pirelli Winter Sports. They are priced close to each other and work well. Blizzaks give more grip in snow and ice but is more expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.