BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG 1965 Mustang V-8 Convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachSLK230 View Post
Just ordered some sea foam from ebay. Can't wait to pour it into the gas tank, the engine and a vacuum line!! Will let you all know how it turns out. Currently my car has 82k miles..
Take some pics and/or vids of the exhaust while the sea foam is running through your car...

And good luck, hope you get great results!

Black 2002 SLK 32 ////AMG:
Green Air Filters, Konig Wheels, ContiSportContact3 Tires, Exhaust Resonator Removed,
Johnson CM30 I/C Pump, Shuriken 14 pound Battery, Shorty Antenna, AMG Valve Stem Caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
bad ethanol/fuel for high revving engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby_ View Post
carbon build up will bound to happen... with slow driving and low revs. its a by product of combustion... although i use the best fuel i can find (98 RON) in AUS i still clean out my cylinders and valves etc with a carbon cleaner product.... most if not all car manafacures have their own varient of this cleaner... i.e. subaru its called "upper engine cleaner, gm calls it "top engine cleaner" and so on. these are better (usally than the stuff you by at the auto store) b/c they are workshop grade and work well!

the below attachments are from MB's recommended fluids guide. a mix of 10% ethanol is acceptable.

and hell they even have a carbon build up solution they sell too!!! part number A 000 989 25 45 10.

you are not going to get 100% perfect fuel all the time... thats unrealistic

if injectors are at fault its probably easier to take them out and get them all flow tested and checked and possibly cleaned. doesnt matter how good the fuel and how often you change the fuel filter over years and years it will effect its spray pattery. its not that expensive to get them cleaned and flowed. very very very rarely injectors fail (unless running at very high duty cycles continuously)

some good comments, finally. i don't want to add too much to comments until others have similiar experiences and of what MB techs have been saying and etc.

can you comment here also, about pump fuel issues:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gene...ml#post4254465

...."very very very rarely injectors fail (unless running at very high duty cycles continuously)"... this is exactly what the MB tech said.

Morever, the MB tech said its very odd that such a car(engine and ejection system such as mine would have complete pump and/or injector failure). And true to the fact that not all nozzle patterns stay in perfect form(due to various forms of fuel and/or other chemicals, etc). And that is one of the reasons since i picked up AMG in germany that i have been high throttling and and revving my AMG. (followed AMG techs advice in europe) [(these AMG engines/autos are designed to be full throttled!)]

Now i have added, since the inception of US government nationwide ethanol mandate, BG 44k performance enhancers/cleaners( and the Mercedes sells them right on the front sales counter).

i'm wondering if a combination of these performance enhancers like the BG44k products(and similiar products) with the added 10%(this is alot for high performing engines) ethonol/methanol mix could be rapidly, more than the norm, deteriorate the AMG fuel systems/rail/injectors? Thereby causing evaporation issues or fuel burning rate, or etc issues. i always worry about adding additives unless one can rebuild engines every weekend(not likely for me).

according to some MB techs, some mercedes may not respond well regardless of the amount of ethanol mix because the ECU chip was not designed to recognize(or auto recognize) any ethanol mix (some are thinking that all mercedes has been placed or replaced with the updated auto engine recognition{ecu} of ethanol in MB engines). But AMG engines function with different extreme temperatures. Thus, does the weight(density, viscosity,etc) of fuels and mix matter to the fuel system and injectors of an AMG engine???
#23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby_ View Post
dangerous chemicals?

all the manufacturers cleaning agents have Naphtalen in them. even the MB one!
but not all of them have Isopropyl alcohol with mineral oil traces mixed in them thereby creating an unwanted or unnecessary chemical reaction or etc.
#24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1999 Magma Red SLK230
This is the only product my local MB sells when I asked about additives. I know the manuals state not to use them however it does make a difference.

BG Company

BG 44K®BG 44K® Power Enhancer®
BG 44K® Power Enhancer® safely, rapidly and thoroughly removes engine deposits in combustion chambers, intake manifolds, ports and on valves. It restores flow in fuel injectors and cleans the entire fuel system. BG 44K® Power Enhancer® improves fuel economy and reduces exhaust emissions. It restores that “like new” driveability to an engine’s performance and keeps it running better, longer and more efficiently. Add one can or bottle to fuel tank at fill up. Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe. NOTE: After cleanup with BG 44K® Power Enhancer,® regular use of BG Supercharge®II, Part No. 202, in gasoline engines or BG Diesel Fuel Conditioner with DPL, Part No. 2276, in diesel engines will prevent deposits from forming in the fuel system and upper engine for maximum driveability and fuel economy.

It is not carried by part stores however by Mechanic shops:
BG Findashop - Search for an authorized BG service center near you!

John T. Snelson V
#25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '10 ML350,'09 C300,'07 C230,'66 Mustang cnvrt-High Cntry Spl,'01 Mustng Cobr, Elec.golf car-35 MPH!
I use BG 44K every 10,000 miles as an injector cleaner.

If the car is having injector problems, and it can be cured using something out of a can, 44K will do it.

If confusion is a destination . . . . we have arrived.
#26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 02:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

ethanol fuel damages your engine and fuel system

ethanol fuel mix is damaging the mercedes-amg enginess especially those prior of 2003 and older and also cars from 2001-2007. The EPA is now trying to increase ethanol upto 15% or over from cars 2007 and newer. This amount will surely show signs of engine damage.

ethanol is hydrophilic and thereby corrosive to the engine and entire the fuel rail system! one should very rarely ever have to replace a fuel injection system and internal engine parts with low milage.

A hydrophilic membrane will not be fouled or stopped oil, grease or other hydrophobic substances. The membrane is highly attractive to water so the water molecules will push away other molecules in order to gain access to the membrane. Once formed, hydrogen bonds are quite stable and reluctant to break apart.(for the chemist buffs)

everyone needs to muster and contact their necessary representatives and manufacturer's, technician's, etc and put a stop to this ethanol mixture. Or at least many stations that are absolutely free of ethonal!

AP sources: EPA expected to OK more ethanol in gas - Yahoo! Finance

Ethanol Opponents Launch Counterattack (the Left/Right ‘FollowTheScience’ coalition) — MasterResource

Ethanol in autos being questioned Abilene Reporter-News

Tesoro Sues California Over Ethanol Mandate:Greentech Media

MTBE bans boost ethanol

Ethanol Producers Sued Because Ruined Boat Fuel Tanks Olmsted County Concerned Citizens

this is what happens when your fuels lines are over time eaten up by ethanol regardless if it is for boats or small engines or etc......

Boaters fuming over ethanol in gasoline

the key is point is that regardless on what engine vehicle its the resting phase of the engine that causes the damage!

"The problem is that most boats sit for long periods of time without use. When ethanol-blended fuels sit in a gas tank for a long time, the ethanol begins to separate from the gasoline.

When engines consume pure ethanol, a highly corrosive solvent, the results can be disastrous. In addition to unraveling fuel lines, it can loosen sludge, varnish and dirt inside the gas tank, causing fuel lines and carburetors to clog."

"ethanol eats away at the fuel line, causing it to fail, like a collapsing tunnel"
"if water is in the gas tank or engine, the ethanol will separate form the gasoline and bond with the water, that means pumping a mixture of ethanol and water into the engine, if this happens there could be stalling or more jittery engine repsonses....the key is none use of vehicle...the less you use the engine, the more that the ethanol will separate from the gasoline(petrol).

Some people are so dead, they don't vote, they write letters to respective district city or counties officials; they just expect others to fix the fixes. every concerned voice must be heard. but then again most people probably don't have true sports car? this is not about clean energy.

its about corrupted politicians and officials hurting the economy and regular middle class person's. Germany makes some of the most cleanest car--without ethanol! if people don't speak up...soon this country will be deader than dead! All the successful people might just flea due to over-regulation after over regulations.
#27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2001 SLK230
I used to work in a factory that made gas aditives-we run chevon,stp,etc just by changing bottles and labels also some high end cars had their aditives mixed there .

AS for bad fuel make sure u change fuel filter after bad bunch of fuel-pump failers ussually caused by a plugged filter putting extra back pressure on the pump.

People that use their merc. in cold climmits should add a can of heat also during the winter time to burn the water out, normal fuel aditives do nothing for water.

Is lots of bad fuel station operators that add water to ethenol in gas just cause they can.
Best to bye your fuel at same station if can, myself never got bad fuel at a shell station but thats just me.
#28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

ETHANOL MIXTURE (E10) CAUSING OTHER PROBLEMS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Rat_1 View Post
I used to work in a factory that made gas aditives-we run chevon,stp,etc just by changing bottles and labels also some high end cars had their aditives mixed there .

AS for bad fuel make sure u change fuel filter after bad bunch of fuel-pump failers ussually caused by a plugged filter putting extra back pressure on the pump.

People that use their merc. in cold climmits should add a can of heat also during the winter time to burn the water out, normal fuel aditives do nothing for water.

Is lots of bad fuel station operators that add water to ethenol in gas just cause they can.
Best to bye your fuel at same station if can, myself never got bad fuel at a shell station but thats just me.

WHAT ABOUT SPARK PLUGS. IF WEATHER MAKES A DIFFERENCE THAN SPARKS ALSO?

NGK Canada published a TSB in 2006 in which they state that due to ethanol being introduced in gas, drivers have been reporting these symptoms:

1. Reduced gas mileage
2. CEL light, code showing lean condition

They recommend the following to remedy both issues:

A. One step colder
B. Narrower gap by 0.010", not to go below 0.035"

For my vehicle, I've done the following:

- One step colder
- Narrower gap by 0.004" (factory spec for my M119.982 is 0.032")

So far, after two tanks of gas (several hundred miles), my mileage seems to be better, the insulator is still too white for my liking (indicating still a lean condition), and the ground electrode reading shows color change at the turn of the elbow (but closer to the ring, which indicates it's still slightly hot).

Btw, the spark plug gap is a debatable topic. This is my take:

Reduction of the gap is necessary in E10 gas for the reason that ethanol--while it is detonation-resistant--is more susceptible to pre-ignition at higher compressions. My M119 having 11:1 compression ratio and achieving greater than 100 KPa, the possibility of pre-ignition with ethanol is greater. (Maybe this is why Mercedes says their knock sensors can't handle lower octane gas?) The possibility becomes even greater knowing that gas stations sometimes goof up and pour the wrong octane gas in their underground tanks.

However, my M119 uses non-resistor plugs, and the coil connector provides 2K Ohms. Narrower gap effectively decreases resistance. This may cause potential electronic interference with the ignition system. When reducing the gap, using resistor plugs (which will have 5K Ohms) might be a good idea.

ALSO THOSE WITH 2002 AMG AND MERCEDES PRIOR SHOULD BE HAVING PROBLEMS ESPECIALLY YOU RARELY USE THE CAR, ANYWHERE FROM 30-90 DAYS. COULD BE SOONER DEPENDING ON CONCENTRATION.

NGK technical bulletin: No. NGKSP-0506-3 (from may 2006)

NGK Spark Plugs Canada info@ngksparkplugs.ca
505 Apple Creek Blvd. Unit 1 Markham, Ontario L3R 5B1
Toll Free Phone: 1-877-2-SPARKY (1-877-277-2759) Toll Free Fax: 1-877-3-SPARKY (1-877-377-2759)
#29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2008 ML550 /// 2003 E320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttus View Post
ethanol fuel mix is damaging the mercedes-amg enginess especially those prior of 2003 and older and also cars from 2001-2007. The EPA is now trying to increase ethanol upto 15% or over from cars 2007 and newer. This amount will surely show signs of engine damage.

ethanol is hydrophilic and thereby corrosive to the engine and entire the fuel rail system! one should very rarely ever have to replace a fuel injection system and internal engine parts with low milage.

A hydrophilic membrane will not be fouled or stopped oil, grease or other hydrophobic substances. The membrane is highly attractive to water so the water molecules will push away other molecules in order to gain access to the membrane. Once formed, hydrogen bonds are quite stable and reluctant to break apart.(for the chemist buffs)

everyone needs to muster and contact their necessary representatives and manufacturer's, technician's, etc and put a stop to this ethanol mixture. Or at least many stations that are absolutely free of ethonal!

AP sources: EPA expected to OK more ethanol in gas - Yahoo! Finance

Ethanol Opponents Launch Counterattack (the Left/Right ‘FollowTheScience’ coalition) — MasterResource

Ethanol in autos being questioned Abilene Reporter-News

Tesoro Sues California Over Ethanol Mandate:Greentech Media

MTBE bans boost ethanol

Ethanol Producers Sued Because Ruined Boat Fuel Tanks Olmsted County Concerned Citizens

this is what happens when your fuels lines are over time eaten up by ethanol regardless if it is for boats or small engines or etc......

Boaters fuming over ethanol in gasoline

the key is point is that regardless on what engine vehicle its the resting phase of the engine that causes the damage!

"The problem is that most boats sit for long periods of time without use. When ethanol-blended fuels sit in a gas tank for a long time, the ethanol begins to separate from the gasoline.

When engines consume pure ethanol, a highly corrosive solvent, the results can be disastrous. In addition to unraveling fuel lines, it can loosen sludge, varnish and dirt inside the gas tank, causing fuel lines and carburetors to clog."

"ethanol eats away at the fuel line, causing it to fail, like a collapsing tunnel"
"if water is in the gas tank or engine, the ethanol will separate form the gasoline and bond with the water, that means pumping a mixture of ethanol and water into the engine, if this happens there could be stalling or more jittery engine repsonses....the key is none use of vehicle...the less you use the engine, the more that the ethanol will separate from the gasoline(petrol).

Some people are so dead, they don't vote, they write letters to respective district city or counties officials; they just expect others to fix the fixes. every concerned voice must be heard. but then again most people probably don't have true sports car? this is not about clean energy.

its about corrupted politicians and officials hurting the economy and regular middle class person's. Germany makes some of the most cleanest car--without ethanol! if people don't speak up...soon this country will be deader than dead! All the successful people might just flea due to over-regulation after over regulations.
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS....I always have this conversation with my wife... I always laugh at the ads "use ethanol" its better for enviroment, etc.. crap crap crap.... what they dont tell you is rubber lines and alcohol dont mix well and will eventully cause failure in your lines/gaskets/seals...etc...

so to produce all that rubber for our new lines/gaskets/seals they damanged with their ethonal...its probably worse for the enviroment. Just like people love to be green with Bambo floors because its a "renewable resource"...what about all the carbon produced to get it to us on giant tankers crossing the ocean?????????

2008 ML550 *LOADED*
2003 E320
#30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 1999 SLK 230
The check engine light came on on my slk230. I put a bottle of "Heat" dry gas and a bottle of "Lucas" fuel injector cleaner and after about 20 miles the light went out.
Ciao,
Rolando

Rolando

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class