Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ALephart
(Thread Starter)
LED lights round #2!

I don't know why I do this to myself. I can't leave well enough alone. Plus a part of me thinks LED interior lights are going to safe the earth or something. Wayyyyyyyyy off! I found a different vendor that has LED lights with a BUILT IN voltage limiting resistor.

So, I spent another $90.00 on 8 LED bulbs in hope they hold up. If they do not work, I will write off the LED light idea. I mean, I don't even want to break out a calculator to find out the ROI on this project!

Aaron Lephart

smart car info www.smartcar451.com

SLK32 Front/rear calipers and rotors
Hawk EP + pads
ATE fluid
Stoptech lines
AMG 17'' sport rims with Toyo T1R's
ASP 10% overdrive pulley, Bosch FR5DC plugs, fuel pressure riser
LED interior lights.
KONI adjustable shocks
Ceramic coated exhaust manifold and valvecover.
NEW OEM black interior
Simpleroof
ScanguageII
Projector beam headlamps
4500K Xenon/HID headlight bulbs
Sprintbooster
CLK style grill
OEM SL antenna color matched
Dynamat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 1991 300CE, a work in progress.
Damn, you are a glutton for punishment....

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
#3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320 Sport
Aaron, did you just replace the interior (I'm asssuming 8 LEDs means you changed out some exterior as well or did you mess with the gauge cluster)?

I purchased some bulbs from Hoen high performance halogen for my high beams, fogs, and license plate lights since these bulbs match very close to my factory HIDs and the license plate bulbs are the nice bright white, without causing the indicator light to go on. Not as crisp as the LEDs but much better than OEM.

There's nothing worse than running exterior LEDs and having the dreaded spazz flash when one of them goes bad (which I fell victim to on more than one occasion).

Can you link us up with the new LED company with built in resistors? I may wait a while to let you see the long term results, but not having to wire up a resistor myself may be worth trying out these new LEDs.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 1999 SLK 230
The proper way to do this would be to use an integrated LED driver. There are drivers available that will maintain the desired current through the LED (important for both brightness and color temperature), compensate for temperature, protect against voltage spikes and reverse voltage, and tolerate supply voltage variations. Here is an example: Allegro | Product | A6260 High Brightness LED Current Regulator
One or more of these driver chips could be incorporated into a filament bulb replacement. I don't know if any supplier does this, but if I were in the market, I would ask.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
I dont get it ?

Since im in my car, I dont really give a toss what the rear bulbs look like.

As long as they are working and no dip shit rear ends me its all good in the hood

I think of you all as friends but if zombies chase us I'm tripping you !

Joke ......... What go's clop clop clop bang clop clop clop bang....A amish drive by shooting

Fact ............... Human taste buds are sensitive enough to identify one drop of lemon juice diluted in 129,000 drops of water.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitzeStrom_Terp View Post
Aaron, did you just replace the interior (I'm asssuming 8 LEDs means you changed out some exterior as well or did you mess with the gauge cluster)?

I purchased some bulbs from Hoen high performance halogen for my high beams, fogs, and license plate lights since these bulbs match very close to my factory HIDs and the license plate bulbs are the nice bright white, without causing the indicator light to go on. Not as crisp as the LEDs but much better than OEM.

There's nothing worse than running exterior LEDs and having the dreaded spazz flash when one of them goes bad (which I fell victim to on more than one occasion).

Can you link us up with the new LED company with built in resistors? I may wait a while to let you see the long term results, but not having to wire up a resistor myself may be worth trying out these new LEDs.

Replaced license plates lights (2), interior dome (2), trunk area (1) and glove box (1). Plus a couple as spares. I don't want to endorse anything yet, but SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home is where I am getting them from. They will arrive Thurseday.

Aaron Lephart

Hawk EP + pads
ATE fluid
Stoptech lines
LED interior lights.
KONI adjustable shocks
NEW OEM black interior
Simpleroof
ScanguageII
Projector beam headlamps
Sprintbooster
CLK style grill
Dynamat
#7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickB View Post
The proper way to do this would be to use an integrated LED driver. There are drivers available that will maintain the desired current through the LED (important for both brightness and color temperature), compensate for temperature, protect against voltage spikes and reverse voltage, and tolerate supply voltage variations. Here is an example: Allegro | Product | A6260 High Brightness LED Current Regulator
One or more of these driver chips could be incorporated into a filament bulb replacement. I don't know if any supplier does this, but if I were in the market, I would ask.

DickB,

Totally off subject but I wanted to tell you about the MP3 adapter.

You know how I thought increasing the ampflication level would be great for mp3 player battery level? One problem I found out. MP3 players like all amps have a effiencey level. If you drop the sound enough, the THD level of the mp3 player goes up ALLOT. So yes, you can amp it more, but the increased distortion level negates doing so. Sorry to have questioned you!

All the best,
Aaron Lephart

Hawk EP + pads
ATE fluid
Stoptech lines
LED interior lights.
KONI adjustable shocks
NEW OEM black interior
Simpleroof
ScanguageII
Projector beam headlamps
Sprintbooster
CLK style grill
Dynamat

Last edited by ALephart; 01-05-2008 at 09:34 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2003 SLK32 AMG Designo
I agree with you, papa. What's the point in dicking around with perfectly good normal lights?

Anyway, to do so with exterior lights is illegal in the UK, as far as I'm aware. No 'E-mark'!
#9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1998 SLK 230, 2008 E320 Bluetec
So replacing a bulb that is burned out is illegal in the UK too?
#10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 1999 SLK 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa View Post
As long as they are working and no dip shit rear ends me its all good in the hood
A real benefit of LED brake lights is that they turn on a few milliseconds sooner than filament bulbs. At 70 MPH, that can amount to perhaps enough distance to prevent getting rear ended. Of course, the SLK third brake light is LED.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.