Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone know where to find the phone kit thingy?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  SLK RICK 
#1 ·
Been thinking about this for a while. . .

Mostly it just irritates the hell out of me that there's a button on my center console that doesn't do anything other than display that annoying message "NO PHONE" everytime I get the urge to push it. As such, I'm thinking it might be kind of neat to find one of the SLK phone kits that originally came with these cars as an optional accessory and hook it up (found the instructions for doing so online - it's pretty simple, but one needs to source the kit). Anyone done this?

It wouldn't be as techno-geeky cool as some of the newer cars have with automatic bluetooth-type integration and all, but it still would be awfully cool to be able to push the button, dial someone right off the panel and converse with them while out and about. Especially given that more and more municipalities are requiring "hands-free" setups, why not use the one that was originally intended for use with the car?

MB was ahead of its time thinking of this stuff.

So anyone know where to find one? None on evilbay that I could see.

#3 ·
Bazzle said:
I use Blue tooth..

Unit hidden under console, mic next to mirror, phone in my shirt pocket, speaker in footwell in OE place :)

Bazzle
Yea, but you still can't use the center-console provided keypad and address book capability that's built into the system then. I'd sort of rather use the original stuff if possible rather than glomming on a bunch of aftermarket junk (no offense meant, maybe your setup is good - I just have an inherent distrust of most "universal solutions" - they usually end up being hack jobs).

I saw one of those original phone mount kits for sale a while back but didn't jump on it. Maybe I should have. Anyone got a source for 'em?

#4 ·
The mb unit would be over 7year old tech.

Phones and kits have moved on since then, so i would think again and maybe go for the junk option:rolleyes:

#5 ·
I have the phone option in my car, it's OK but not anything I would try to replicate. The original system will only use the ancient MB branded motorola phones, you really don't want those. The work around that is to get the MicBox so you can use a modern phone: The MikBox Mercedes Handsfree Solution

I think next time around I'll put in a new headunit with GPS and bluetooth for the phone. Then the headunit will do all the cool stuff with your phone plus be a GPS.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info on the Mik Box. That sounds more along the lines of an aftermarket solution I'd consider - since it's specifically set up for the M.B. I may order one of those - going to do some more research. Thanks for the tip!

#8 ·
SLacKer-320 said:
Thanks for the info on the Mik Box. That sounds more along the lines of an aftermarket solution I'd consider - since it's specifically set up for the M.B. I may order one of those - going to do some more research. Thanks for the tip!
The MikBox will only work if you manage to find a source for the other MB phone parts...a PSE (Portable Support Electronics, not the PSE=Pneumatic pump), Linear Compensator, and antenna splitter. It works with the factory phone system, not in place of it. A good source for MB phone system information is at this site Welcome to Paul's MB Info Website

#9 ·
If you want to use a bluetooth phone through your stock head unit, you have 2 options available to you.

The first would go the route of using all genuine MB parts. You would need a V60 PSE, Dual Band Compensator, Antenna Splitter, V60 Cradle, and v60 Bluetooth Puck. The PSE, Dual Band Compensator, and Antenna Splitter go into the left side trunk panel. The v60 cradle goes into the flip up armrest, and the v60 bluetooth puck goes into the v60 cradle.

The second option is using the aftermaket Argos Bluetooth module. It is a single box that plugs in where a MB PSE module would plug in in the left panel in the trunk.

Both solutions allow you to use the stock headunit to interface most any bluetooth phone. Be aware that both solutions will be quite costly though. Both will run you in the neighborhood of between $500 and $800.

Also, you should be sure you understand how to remap the D2B interface cables, especially if you already have a CD Changer attached.

#10 ·
Great advice all around here. Much appreciated. In looking at those ARGOS units, they certainly seem decent and all, but aren't there certain advantages to running a hard-wired system versus a bluetooth/wireless system? Just curious about peoples' opinions on that. I've heard some things (could be just urban legend) about bluetooth devices being suceptable to manipulation/hacking/viruses/etc. Dunno. My phone has the capability, but I've never used it.

#11 ·
Whats funny is my blue t car kit picks up other blue t phones near and i could down load there phone books and mails:D

My satnav has hand free, it will even read you a text you have had in a voice so you dont have to look away from the road:bowdown: tomtom 910.....:thumbsup: FTW

#12 ·
That's kind of what I'm afraid of. I've got some. . . um. . . "classified" information in my phone - numbers of certain people that wouldn't be to happy if they got out, stuff like that. Maybe I'll just stick with a hardwired system. Thanks.

#13 ·
about the BT "free to access other people stuff", you need to set your phone security to not allow unsolicited BT connections, some folk dont have it on so they allow pairing with devices that are passing by....nasty way to get a virus. BT is cool but has limitations, mine is kept on but you have to manualy pair a new device and then manualy accept a connection from an existing paired device. The big bummer and the reason I use a cradle type car kit, is the issue of charging. A cradle will charge your phone negating the need to charge at home/office.

#14 ·
SLacKer-320 said:
Been thinking about this for a while. . .

Mostly it just irritates the hell out of me that there's a button on my center console that doesn't do anything other than display that annoying message "NO PHONE" everytime I get the urge to push it. As such, I'm thinking it might be kind of neat to find one of the SLK phone kits that originally came with these cars as an optional accessory and hook it up (found the instructions for doing so online - it's pretty simple, but one needs to source the kit). Anyone done this?

It wouldn't be as techno-geeky cool as some of the newer cars have with automatic bluetooth-type integration and all, but it still would be awfully cool to be able to push the button, dial someone right off the panel and converse with them while out and about. Especially given that more and more municipalities are requiring "hands-free" setups, why not use the one that was originally intended for use with the car?

MB was ahead of its time thinking of this stuff.

So anyone know where to find one? None on evilbay that I could see.
I have the original kit, in perfect condition, if you want it.

#16 ·
Ryououki said:
If you want to use a bluetooth phone through your stock head unit, you have 2 options available to you.

The first would go the route of using all genuine MB parts. You would need a V60 PSE, Dual Band Compensator, Antenna Splitter, V60 Cradle, and v60 Bluetooth Puck. The PSE, Dual Band Compensator, and Antenna Splitter go into the left side trunk panel. The v60 cradle goes into the flip up armrest, and the v60 bluetooth puck goes into the v60 cradle.
[...]
no need to buy the antenna splitter and compensator, since the puck is not using the antenna. If you look around just should be able to get the Bluetooth puck working for less than $500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.