#1 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
interior paint peeling off SLK 230

Has anyone had the interior paint peeling off it seems to be only the gray paint of the gray & black interior. I have a 1998 SLK 230 I asked at dealership if this had been a manufacturing problem but they said no. When we got one of the parts off it just peeled off the back of the part the same so it looks like it is the manufacture. The parts are black underneath the gray paint. Any ideas what to use to get all this paint off; it is like a rubber paint. Can it be painted and if so what kind of paint to use.
HELP my poor car is in bit’s!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
Try searching this forum and you will find A LOT of posts about the peeling paint issue. Most of us have experienced it - I've been mostly spared, although I have "chips" here and there.

Here's one example of the posts I mentioned:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...-interior.html

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
#3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, but what I really need to know first is how to get all this peeling paint off. ie what to use as I don't think it will be good to paint over the old paint. Also what to do to prepare the parts for new paint. I'm worried we have all the parts off, it looks like a much bigger job than I first thought it would be. We are in On, Canada, & the paint we need is leather sand+quartz (225) anyone know where is the best place to get it. Has anyone got all the paint off and kept it black, can you get it all off so you can do that????
Thank you for any help.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 03:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2010 C200cgi W203/SLK230/C180/230E/280SE
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Smile Leather sand /quartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse
Thanks, but what I really need to know first is how to get all this peeling paint off. ie what to use as I don't think it will be good to paint over the old paint. Also what to do to prepare the parts for new paint. I'm worried we have all the parts off, it looks like a much bigger job than I first thought it would be. We are in On, Canada, & the paint we need is leather sand+quartz (225) anyone know where is the best place to get it. Has anyone got all the paint off and kept it black, can you get it all off so you can do that????
Thank you for any help.
EDIT Sept 2010 -
THIS IS A VERY LONG THREAD -If you are reading this for the first time, suggest you go straight to the last couple of pages for latest information -PAINT IS NOW SUPPLIED DIRECT FROM VIPONDS PAINTS - see page 47 details
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
8-14-2006
You are in luck! Have some left after supplying about 9 other guys out of the litre I had made up - my match was perfect and most of the others were OK also.

Dont worry about the stuff left on - It does re- cover well and seals the 'joins'. (if you are dead set about stripping it all, you can use paint stripper with great care - it can eat into the plastic but is OK if you clean off as soon as it bubbles)

The attached shot is of a console that had about 5 sq. inches peeled off the top surfaces before I decided not to remove the console completely. (the part around the handbrake was a mess)

Send me an email and I'll send you the fact sheet/ preparation instructions as advised by Viponds

Don't worry, we've all been thru the initial "must be removed and covered with leather" phase -- repainting works pretty well - it's only sourcing the stuff with a good match that is the trick! ( I'm picking up 3 litres of salsa red/anthracite/siam beige for 3 members this week)

Oberoi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04451.JPG
Views:	4092
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	95230   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04551.JPG
Views:	2241
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	95231  

Last edited by oberoi; 09-09-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: update
#5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Bruce; you have been a great help, thank you so much for taking the time.
We are going to look into getting the paint here in Canada tomorrow if not we will take you up on your kind offer. I guess we should have asked for help before we took it apart LOL as we need what we need NOW! so we can get it painted & back together soon.
You did a great paint job on yours I can't tell what has been painted & what has not.
Thanks again, Scouser.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Sport
Lifetime Premium Member
Do you have the exact color formula they used to make the match?

"The true delight is in the finding out, rather than in the knowing." - Isaac Asimov

1999 SLK230 Sport - Magma Red
2011 Ford Escape Limited, Hybrid
#7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Cool Sienna beige formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByByeAmericanPie
Do you have the exact color formula they used to make the match?
Sorry BBAP, it is kept in Melbourne by Viponds and they would not give it out after spending the time to work it out. (that would be like asking Leathermagic for the formula)

They do keep careful records of car paint matches because they know that there will be repeat orders.

Happy to help tho' if you ever have difficulty getting a match. They have 4 SLK colours in their book now - anthracite/sienna beige/salsa red/siam beige

Oberoi
#8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Oberoi - I have the beige and black two tone interior. How do I tell if it's sienna beige or siam beige?

I have a couple of chips I wouldn't mind touching up.

Thx.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
#9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Cool Sienna beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJimbo
Oberoi - I have the beige and black two tone interior. How do I tell if it's sienna beige or siam beige?

I have a couple of chips I wouldn't mind touching up.

Thx.
Jimbo, it is most likely to be Sienna Beige but you can tell for certain by going to one of Bazzles magic sites and putting in your VIN. (the other beige colour is a real cream colour)

www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/index.html?lng=eng

You need colour code 225 which shows as 'leather sand/quartz.

If thats what you have, I have a bit left (if it is one of the other colours,I can refer you to the member who will have it in about a week)

Let me know

Oberoi
#10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Wow, that's a very cool link! Here's what it told me: leather quartz+siam beige (215).

So how do I go about ordering some?

By the way, thank you VERY much for helping me out on this and also for the link to the VIN site!!!

Jimbo

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class