Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tail light recall info. via ByByeAmericanPie............

138K views 231 replies 120 participants last post by  Kobus 
#1 ·
Thanks to the efforts of ByByeAmericanPie, AMPM, and E-Klasse we have some data.
Please don't respond to this thread, we'll add more when we get more.:D
Current info: NHTSA Campaign number is 05V505000

#53 ·
I called the dealer today and said I heard that SLK owners were getting their recall letters on the tail lights, but I hadn't gotten one. They checked and said I was included in the recall and scheduled me in for this Wednesday.
They said it would only take about 1 1/2 hour. Does that sound right?

#54 ·
FAF said:
They said it would only take about 1 1/2 hour. Does that sound right?
I suspect it really only takes the mechanic 30 minutes to do the job once he has the car. It has been my experience that when I try to wait for the car, most of the time is actually waiting for the car to get moved to the garage and assigned to a mechanic. I have removed both rear taillight assemblies, it is an easy job if you've done it before.

#58 ·
Just had mine done yesterday, on the 98 SLK230. I was originally going to wait for it. They told me it would take no more than an hour. I ended up leaving the car, since the dealer is just around the corner from where I am working, and I needed to be a 9:30 conf call, and decided not to chance it. I showed the Service Manager the letter stating that it was for 'certain model years 1998-2004', and asked him about my 02 SLK32. He did a check on my VIN and said that there werre no outstanding recalls on that VIN. BUT, as other have already said, that does not mean that it won't change, once they get enough of the new lights to issue the letters for the newer models.

#62 ·
Didn't get the letter but was able to get them replaced

I called up my dealer and told them that I didn't get the letter and gave them my VIN and they scheduled me that very same week. I was able to pick up my car that same day but started having issues with my radio reception. I looked in the compartment where the driver’s side tail light is located and sure enough the antenna connector had been pulled out from the cable. I pushed it back in and I was good to go again, so if anyone has bad radio reception after the new install of the tail lights check the antenna connector right next to the lights. The tech may have disconnected the cable for a better working area or pulled the antenna cable out by accident like in my case.

#65 ·
janner2 said:
Does anyone know why this is starting from -98 model? Is -97 model really different in this sense?
Is this recall going on only in the US?
Only applies to the United States; the National Highway Safety Administration is the U.S. government agency forcing MB to do the recall. I believe that the SLK was introduced in the U.S. (in 1997) as a model year 1998. They are the same as the 1997's in other countries.

#66 ·
Actually to all Canadians, this applies to Canada as well.
Spoke to Transport Canada and there has been a recal since 2005.
What they said is that mercedes has not produced parts yet so they have been denying the fact that there is a recall. But has informed them that the parts will be in stock sometime within the next few weeks!
After confronting Mercedes with this fact I'm getting mine changed on tuesday here in Canada hopefully with the new part!

#70 ·
Isoplus said:
My dealer tells me my bin# (01' 320) was not listed even though I had to get it fixed a few months ago.
He suggeated I call back later (like in 3 weeks) to check again.
I would try another dealer. Mine didn't even ask for the VIN on the phone. They know they (all slk's) are being recalled so the flack they are giving you makes no sense.

#71 ·
I just bought my '01 SLK-320 and have yet to call the 800 number to tell 'em I'm the new owner. Are they going to give me any grief when I take it into the dealership?

Also, do they bother to check for other recall items at the same time? Since I bought this thing used I have no idea which recalls (if any) either exist or have been complied with.

#72 ·
3-Pointed-Star said:
I just bought my '01 SLK-320 and have yet to call the 800 number to tell 'em I'm the new owner. Are they going to give me any grief when I take it into the dealership?

Also, do they bother to check for other recall items at the same time? Since I bought this thing used I have no idea which recalls (if any) either exist or have been complied with.
The VIN will be listed regardless of the owner. And if any recalls haven't been accomplished, they'll know. If I were you I'd call MBUSA and get registered as the new owner anyway, it won't cost you anything. And if anything comes up in the future, you'll get notified by mail.

#75 ·
Sandra Freeman said:
Have you had any results in a refund of your money spent. It cost me $300+ to have one taillight assembly replaced. Repairman said it was due to faulty part by MB. This was last year. I'm hoping for refund also. Thanks for your response.
SF
If you have your receipt, you stand a good chance of having at least the taillight paid for. The mechanics time may be a different story....... Without a receipt, good luck. :(

#76 ·
tail lights

I have a 2001. I have been driving with one brake light most part of this year, waiting for the recall. Very annoying in the summer, when driving top down and everybody is telling you that the brake light is out.
Now that the inspection was due, I finally had them fix it.

They said there was no recall for my VIN, and I went into no further discussion, as I needed to have it fixed ASAP. The total cost was $344.01. The service advisor agreed though that if or when the recall is issued for my VIN, I can submit the invoice and get a refund (the entire amount, which is parts, labor, and disposal of the old parts).

From what I understand after reading all this, they were mandated to do the recall about a year ago for all 70000 R170 cars, but until today they only notified the owners of 1998-2000, which are about 30000 cars. The dealership of course denies of knowing about any recall for the newer cars at this point.

By the way, the antenna connector that is sitting right in front of the left tail light assembly easily comes loose. I knew that from when they did some body work a while back, so that was the first thing I checked when I got my car back. And bingo: the radio had no reception :) it was an easy fix though because I already had the left trunk liner taken off when I brought in the car, and they didn't put it back on.

#77 ·
Soooo.... I guess those of us with the 2001+ SLKs must wait and see. My brake lights are working now, but the passenger side was out until about a month ago. I had a local mechanic look at it, and after that, it worked again. The mechanic was suprised as he did nothing to it. So, it's only a matter of time until my light goes out again. . .

Hopefully the recall will come to us too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.