Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tail light recall info. via ByByeAmericanPie............

138K views 231 replies 120 participants last post by  Kobus 
#1 ·
Thanks to the efforts of ByByeAmericanPie, AMPM, and E-Klasse we have some data.
Please don't respond to this thread, we'll add more when we get more.:D
Current info: NHTSA Campaign number is 05V505000

#2 ·
I posted this a while ago...

__________________________________________________ _____________
Recall Number: 05V505000
Dates Manufactured: NOV 1996 to APR 2004

EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS

Defect Description:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, FAILURE OF ONE OF THE SIDE BRAKE LIGHTS CAN OCCUR IF THE BULB HAD BEEN REPLACED WITH CERTAIN WIDELY AVAILABLE LIGHT BULBS (BULB TRADE NO. 1073). THESE BULBS HAVE A HIGHER WATTAGE AND GENERATE MORE HEAT THAN THE BULBS USED IN PRODUCTION. THE BASE OF THE SOCKET CAN BE SUBJECT TO THERMAL DEFORMATION OVER TIME.

Consequence of Defect:
THIS DEFORMATION CAN CAUSE MOVEMENT IN THE SOCKET-TO-BULB CONNECTION, WHICH COULD LEAD TO A LOOSENING OF THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE SOCKET, AND FAILURE OF THE BULB TO ILLUMINATE.

Corrective Action:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE REAR LAMP MODULES. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.

We need to flood the call center with questions about these. I dont like this statment:

THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN.

CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372

This is the bad part:
THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN.

#219 ·
__________________________________________________ _____________
Recall Number: 05V505000
Dates Manufactured: NOV 1996 to APR 2004

EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS

Defect Description:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, FAILURE OF ONE OF THE SIDE BRAKE LIGHTS CAN OCCUR IF THE BULB HAD BEEN REPLACED WITH CERTAIN WIDELY AVAILABLE LIGHT BULBS (BULB TRADE NO. 1073). THESE BULBS HAVE A HIGHER WATTAGE AND GENERATE MORE HEAT THAN THE BULBS USED IN PRODUCTION. THE BASE OF THE SOCKET CAN BE SUBJECT TO THERMAL DEFORMATION OVER TIME.

Consequence of Defect:
THIS DEFORMATION CAN CAUSE MOVEMENT IN THE SOCKET-TO-BULB CONNECTION, WHICH COULD LEAD TO A LOOSENING OF THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE SOCKET, AND FAILURE OF THE BULB TO ILLUMINATE.

Corrective Action:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE REAR LAMP MODULES. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.

We need to flood the call center with questions about these. I dont like this statment:

CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372

This is the bad part:
Mine were recalled and replaced in 2007. And, low and behold...they went out again in 2012. I called and emailed MB...nothing about recalling the recalled lights. UGH! I found some used ones reasonably priced on eBay. Thankfully, it was super easy to pop the old ones out and put the new ones in!!

#4 ·
I am not screaming for credit, I was just alarmed by the last line:

I hope we are all calling the dealerships and questioning this. It is a voluntary recall so it may take so long that they hope we all will forget. I asked one dealership and they said they were getting by cleaning the contacts and installing lower wattage bulbs and sockets instead of replacing the entire assembly. The other didn't even know about the problem or cliamed that they didn't.

#7 ·
FYI...I FAX'ed this information to Mercedes Benz of Orlando in Maitland, FL, and although they are not usually very good about comping stuff, they did replace both my burnt out taillights free of charge. I did also mention the safety risk in my FAX, but not sure if that had any effect. They made sure to tell me that it was just replacing them with the same defective part, and that I'd have to bring it in again when the recall actually happens, which is fine with me...they should last a little while, right? (Although this was my third time getting one replaced - other times under extended warranty that has since gone out of business). Anyway, thanks guys!

Faith

#10 ·
slk230280 said:
I did contact NHTSA, they said to contact MB. MB does not know of any recall.:(
The CS Agents on the phone lines will not know of any recall until MB releases it for public notification. Until that time, the only evidence is the NHTSA website and the documents posted there.

Just be patient. The recall was to start owner notification "no sooner than sometime in the second quarter" so it will probably be 3rd or 4th quarter this year before you hear anything. Keep in mind they have to be prepared to replace some 60k+ sets of lights so they have to retool and manufacture these units.

#11 ·
I mentioned to my dealer twice and they said they didn't have any info on it but when I took the car in for another issue they replaced the left tail light assembly. Sounds like it is a dealer option to get it done.

#12 ·
They replaced your left light with another one that will be affected by the recall. Be sure when the recall comes out that they replace BOTH lights with the new ones.

#13 ·
I just came back from MB Dealer in my area. They replaced my left Brake light assemply, but refuse to take it as this recall. They said the recall I brought in is just a bulletin to advice them what to do ( such as to replace the whole seemply , duh). So I end up paying $210 for it ( $105 part, $105 labor). I plan to call the 1-800 number to contact MB to complain. Anyone has better ideas?

My SLK is SLK 320, 2001. Brake light bulb on driver side was still good, but the light would not be on.

#14 ·
Hanna_slk said:
I just came back from MB Dealer in my area. They replaced my left Brake light assemply, but refuse to take it as this recall. They said the recall I brought in is just a bulletin to advice them what to do ( such as to replace the whole seemply , duh). So I end up paying $210 for it ( $105 part, $105 labor). I plan to call the 1-800 number to contact MB to complain. Anyone has better ideas?

My SLK is SLK 320, 2001. Brake light bulb on driver side was still good, but the light would not be on.
In what country do you reside?

#16 ·
vballbach said:
Just came back from my dealer today. Had to take the ML in for service and asked about the tial light issue. They stated that there is no recall. They only have a servie bulletin for the lights only.
Went to dealer for tail light, they replaced assembly, but after 3 days light problem came back. This light problem is so annoying, I have made so many numerous visits to dealer every since I bought the car for this light problem.

#17 ·
I was at the dealer today for an unrelated problem.
I did take the opportunity and "flashed" him with the recall letter document that can be found in this forum in the pdf format and asked him if they have any information about it. He went to the back room did some phone calls and copied the document. He said: "Yes the part is being recalled....it will happen later this year". Since I'm taking my car to Europe I was curious if the recall is being done only in the States and he checked and replied "this is being done worldwide"!

So international owners with the brake light problem... rejoice... there is hope!!!

#19 ·
It doesn't matter where you bought your car. You are still covered by a recall. The dealership will run the vin number to see what is needed.

#20 ·
I called the MB phone line provided. They took my VIN and said no recalls on the tail light or the car at all.

I took it to the dealer today and they looked at it and said it needed a bulb socket, which holds the bulb.

I told them this is the second one I have put on since May and that many others were having this problem.

The socket gets burned but the bulb is ok.

My concern is if the socket has burn marks on it, could this turn into a real problem??? catch the car on fire????

Not to mention the PAIN it is to change it out!

I am keeping all receipts just in case a recall does come out and we can get past spent money returned to us.

#22 ·
To see the PDF documents, go to NHTSA.GOV and go to the safety recalls section. Enter campaign number 05V505000 and when the information page on the recall comes up, at the bottom of the page is a button called "document search" Click this and the links to the PDF documents will appear in a popup window.

#23 ·
Anyone up for sending the letter from NHTSA to Mercedes Corp.?

Send it registered so they have to sign for it and ask them whats up, when will the recall take place.

Lets see what the official response will be.

#25 ·
PDB said:
The RECALL IS REAL!!! Having both tailights replaced today under campaign "2006080005 R170 Tail Lamp" The service rep told me that they announced it today. Penske Motorcars in West Covina, CA (626-859-1200) is doing the work.

Pat

I called, they only could find out only if you purchased from them. The other dealer I called stated there is no recall.

#26 ·
slk230280 said:
I called, they only could find out only if you purchased from them. The other dealer I called stated there is no recall.
SLK230280 - Sorry that Penske Motorcars in West Covina gave you the run around. They are normally a great dealership for service. I called Mercedes Benz Headquarters and they confirmed that the Campaign number is “2006080005” and that I could call any dealer and have the work performed at no cost under the campaign. You should call MB Headquarters at 1-800-367-6372 and confirm that the recall applies to your car – they may ask for your VIN. It worked for my 1998 SLK 230.

Good Luck, Pat

#27 ·
Shoot... I almost wet my pants from excitment when I read this.
I have no courage to call my dealer right now because I had an argument about them not fixing my car noise (see my pathetic car noise thread)....

Did anyone else called in and had the lights replaced?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.