Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tail light recall info. via ByByeAmericanPie............

138K views 231 replies 120 participants last post by  Kobus 
#1 ·
Thanks to the efforts of ByByeAmericanPie, AMPM, and E-Klasse we have some data.
Please don't respond to this thread, we'll add more when we get more.:D
Current info: NHTSA Campaign number is 05V505000

#28 · (Edited)
drbranko said:
Shoot... I almost wet my pants from excitment when I read this.
I have no courage to call my dealer right now because I had an argument about them not fixing my car noise (see my pathetic car noise thread)....

Did anyone else called in and had the lights replaced?????

Called my MB dealer in Little Rock,Arkansas, they said recall was issued today.

IT IS REAL !!!

............................Many thanks to those who made this happen...................................

#29 ·
slk230280 said:
I called, they only could find out only if you purchased from them. The other dealer I called stated there is no recall.
My MB dealer just called and told me that they needed to order the tailights, looks like I won't get them installed today :(

As penbed51 said - ------------------------many thanks to those that made this happen-----------------------

Pat

#33 ·
According to all the paperwork filed by MB with the NHTSA, this recall affects ALL 170 models from 1998 to 2004.

Maybe the recall just hasn't caught up to your dealers computer yet. Give it a couple days and try again. If not, then print the letters at the NHTSA website and walk into your dealer and show them.

#34 ·
ByByeAmericanPie said:
According to all the paperwork filed by MB with the NHTSA, this recall affects ALL 170 models from 1998 to 2004.

Maybe the recall just hasn't caught up to your dealers computer yet. Give it a couple days and try again. If not, then print the letters at the NHTSA website and walk into your dealer and show them.
Thanks again,I will do just that.
Just in case there was a mix-up,I set appointment for next Friday.
My tail light just went out,perfect timing!!

#35 ·
A message from my MB dealer...

MERCEDES BENZ JUST CAME OUT WITH A CAMPAIGN FOR THE SLK TAIL LIGHTS, BUT IT IS ONLY FOR 1998-2000 MODEL YEARS...

I asked them why just those years. He is checking in to it.

#36 ·
E-Klasse said:
MERCEDES BENZ JUST CAME OUT WITH A CAMPAIGN FOR THE SLK TAIL LIGHTS, BUT IT IS ONLY FOR 1998-2000 MODEL YEARS...

I asked them why just those years. He is checking in to it.

Maybe Mercedes is phasing the fix so dealers aren't overloaded. There are a lot of 170 SLKs out there now.

I have an '02 '32 and have the light problem. The problem is not specific to a certain year or grade.

About.com has a link to all of the NHTSA recalls. All 170s are included.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/recalls/bl-recalls-012g.htm

#37 ·
I called my MB dealer and they had already ordered my lights and had them in stock. I am getting them installed next Tuesday. I will post again with a report on how they look and function.

#38 ·
The 1998 thru 2000 SLK's are pre-facelift models. The 2001 thru 2004 models have different taillights. But they all have the problem. MB probably redesigned the older ones first (because they are more likely to exhibit the problem due their age). Then they'll do the 2001-2004 model next.

My 2001 already had one taillight replaced at my expense. The other one is original and still working. MB promised to replace both of them and refund my money on the replacement once the recall comes out.

#39 ·
i just got mine at the dealer here in portland. it was my 3 encounter with this dealer and i gotta say i never thought a trip to the dealer would ever be like this! i called about it yesterday morning and they set up an appointment for me the next day, then today, it was finished in the morning! no charge and did they ever clean the car like the i have never seen it look. i even got a chocolate in the shape of a benz star! i left feeling like my baby was treated better than i treat her!

#40 ·
I haven't received my recall letter but the dealer in Austin called me yesterday, Thursday. My appointment is Monday. I had the dealer replace the tail lamp assemblies in 2004 (cost $460+). Asked the service advisor about recouping the cost and he indicated it is allowed. Wish they would allow cost reimbursement for all the lamps I've replace over the years (about every 6 months). Hope to get positive feedback on recouping costs Monday. At this point I don't know if the already replace assemblies will be replaced again in this recall.

#41 ·
jeffery1211 said:
I haven't received my recall letter but the dealer in Austin called me yesterday, Thursday. My appointment is Monday. I had the dealer replace the tail lamp assemblies in 2004 (cost $460+). Asked the service advisor about recouping the cost and he indicated it is allowed. Wish they would allow cost reimbursement for all the lamps I've replace over the years (about every 6 months). Hope to get positive feedback on recouping costs Monday. At this point I don't know if the already replace assemblies will be replaced again in this recall.
What year is your slk?

#43 ·
Today is my appointment for service and to address tail lamp recall. The tail lamps replaced in 2004 do not appear to be subject to the recall. My expenses for the replacements in 2004 will be reimbursed through Mercedes. Dealer will submit reimbursement to Mercedes, who will pay the dealer, who will pay me. Service Advisor said this could take a couple of months. Since I went in for a scheduled service in addition to the recall, wouldn't you know that they found a few service items they want to tack on to the scheduled service. Seldom can you go in for a routine service and come away with only what you went in for. Guess its the price I pay for driving a SLK.

#44 · (Edited)
Here is a scanned copy of the letter (hopefully), front and back. Please note that the back has instructions for getting re-imbursed, if you have already paid to get this done. Since I am not too good at scanning and resizing text documents, I had to put the front of the letter sideways, in order to meet the 1600 x 1200 size limit, and still make it readable.

Attachments

#49 ·
*** You Don't Need The Recall Letter ***

I had my new brake light ass'ys installed today. I called my local dealership and gave them my VIN. She said it was covered under the recall. I had NOT recieved my letter yet.

#50 ·
Well, it turned out that the replaced lamps in 2004 were part of the recall. So at service the dealer performed the replacement and is submitting a reimbursement to MB for my 2004 expenses. It'll be great to received the reimbursement since I just had the schedule B maintanence done....should break even. Thanks Lello for posting a copy of the letter and thanks to PDB for posting pics.

#51 ·
Well, I got mine replaced. They look exactly the same from the exterior (I had hoped that all of the replacements would look like the facelift version). They fit great and I am very happy now. ITs just sad I had to go through all of this to get what I wanted, but in the end, it all worked out.

Good luck to everyone in getting your new lights!!!

Now, whats the next item we need to get recalled....LOL

#52 ·
Chrome Trim....

Will the dealer let you keep the original housings? I guess they are probably required to keep them as part of the recall. I ask because my wife applied chrome trim to her brake lights which will be a pain to remove and then reapply. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.