Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

38 pin and carsoft 7.4

554K views 750 replies 147 participants last post by  Ultrax5 
#1 · (Edited)
OK I got my Carsoft 7.4 and adaptors0 (generic copy :eek: )
Came direct from manf in China ($173 US)
I only have 38pin , NO OBD11.
Installed software on laptop PC.
Plugged into car, key in pos 2, allowed it to read all systems.
Hmm, only reads ME system and reports error (codes I guess)
all others No response.

Used it to clear the error .. OK :)

Started engine then opened live data.

Good here. reads, RPM, Camshaft Hall effect angle, engine temp, MAF voltages, airflow, vacumn, Lambda sensor (s) voltages, and a couple more.
The above live readings wold be usefull for fault finding.

With interogation of other systems on the car I was dissapointed it didnt. Further investigation is warranted but maybe like Paul-home thsats all you can do?:(
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1270068-missing-38-pin-diagnostic-conn-2001-a.html

BAzzle

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good to hear it works....sounds as though the available functions are similar to what is obtained through the OBD11 connector with the ELM interface

Pity the other systems don't seem to be accessible.........but still sounds like the best option for those of us with only the 38 pin round connector

Hopefully some configuration changes are available to open up the rest of the system

So is it 'thumbs up'....or 'a bit each way'....or 'not recommended'

David

#3 ·
David in Australia said:
Good to hear it works....sounds as though the available functions are similar to what is obtained through the OBD11 connector with the ELM interface

Pity the other systems don't seem to be accessible.........but still sounds like the best option for those of us with only the 38 pin round connector

Hopefully some configuration changes are available to open up the rest of the system

So is it 'thumbs up'....or 'a bit each way'....or 'not recommended'

David
A Bit Each Way ATM..

Will play another day :)

Bazzle

#4 ·
#6 ·
I heard from a fellow junior member that this thing is pretty good for $130. Can reset codes as well.

#8 ·
aharkins said:
I just purchased another kit, but had exactly the same result. I can read ME fault codes and live data, but that's it.

My guess is that it's a software problem. Have you had any luck getting it to work?
From my research 99% of fault codes are stored in the ME.
It (Carsoft) has allowed mr to clear fault codes too.
I am happy with that. The live data is good for diagnostics if you can interpret the data .

Bazzle

#9 · (Edited)
Hello Bazzle,

Maybe I can explain how this CS7.4 works.

At first in MB all controllers are connected to different pins in the 38pin plug under the bonnet for the pre 2001/2002 cars. Means you can have 38 - (12V) - (GND) = 36 communication channels.

Your PC only has 1 comms channel.

So, the software sends a "pin selection" command to the interface which then selects which pin to "connect" to the PC. After this the PC will send commands for the controller to which it is connected to.

The selection for data to interface or car and interface reset is done using the DTR signal in the RS232 commport.

This also means that you should have bought an multiplexer (MPX) interface which understands the selection commands to be able to read all the different controllers in your car. I do not think that your interface is a MPX model.
It will work if you can connect the data line from the interface to each of the pins in the 38pin socket seperately, depending on what you like to diagnose. Means for ABS connect to pin 6 for KI connect to pin 15 etc. The cable with the RED/BLACK and Yellow plug are used for the W124 and before series for analogue diagnosing. If you manage to make a cable with smaller plugs then you can diagnose the other sytems as explained above.

What you have bought is also known as a K(K)L interface which costs about 50 euro and is very well suitable for diagnosing VAG cars with VAGCOM.

Hope this makes it clear why you can read errors from your motormanagement only. It is connected to pin 4 or 5 (depends on the model).

Pin 1 = GND
Pin 3 = 12V

The ME ONLY stores errors related to the motormanagement.
The ABS controller stores ONLY errors related to the ABS system... etc

Regards, Msmax

PS. Do not go for Scantools if you like to have access to other controllers then the motormanagement system.
This is an OBD2 diagnose tool which is worth the price but will ONLY diagnose the engine system.
If you do use scantools hardware then please check out my OBD2 software package which works fine with Scantools ELM 327 and mOByDic interface at www.obd2spy.com
OBD2 is implemented in west Europe from 2001 for petrol engines and from 2003 for diesel engines.

CS has code to access all other controllers in your car too.

#10 ·
Thank you very much for the Carsoft info....I have the same unit as Bazzle

I suspected the Multiplexer was the model to access all the systems....considerably more expensive

Is there a method to use the 38pin plug....like rotating it or using a breakout box

Otherwise I may try the 3 small pin method....if I can find suitable connectors

Do you have a list of the various systems' pin-outs

Thanks for your help

David

#12 ·
Hello Bazzle & David,

You can just visit the webpage, should be no problem.
We have put some pictures of new interfaces on local machines where it links to. This keeps the latest files updated while we do not have to change the original website for every small update. No tricks there.

Just use the 3-wire lead and connect the yellow one to the desired pin for the controller to read. The leads pins are 4mm, is much too thick to connect in the 38p plug. You should find a way to convert by extension leads or so.

At the first screen of CS74 (the one with the picture of a W211) click on Pin setup. Finally it will show a detailed list of controllers and connections.

Msmax.

#13 ·
Thank you Msmax.....I'm sure those with the 38pin connector will be happy to know they can access all the diagnostic functions.....a little clumsy with the three connections.........but doable :)

Looking forward to delving into the depths of the SLK computer system....when I find the right connectors :1poke:

Found the pin-outs in the WIS for reference

Attachments

#15 ·
Hello Bazzle,

OBD2Spy will ONLY read/clear (limited) diagnostics informations from the motormanagement controllers as it is an OBD2 spec software.

All other controllers in the car do not have to comply with OBD2, so no chance (yet) to read them with OBD2 spy.

Regards, Msmax

#16 ·
I have just purchased a AutoEnginuity OBD2 scantool and software here in the UK, the company is based in the US but sold here from a UK dealer http://www.autoenginuity.com/

It is USB based and supports all protocols including CAN bus, I must say I'm well impressed with the kit for the price £199, all I wanted was to read and clear f/c's but it has far more functions than I would ever need, live sensor data, freeze frame, O2 sensor diagnostic etc. and even includes a Speedtracer software thrown in for free which entails you to measure 0-60, 1/4miles times, BHP etc.

The only drawback is that it will only communicate with the standards engine management function, it does not work with the ABS/BAS, airbags etc.

I have also tried it on 3 other different makes of vehicles with no problems at all. Overall well worth a purchase especially when Merc dealers want £50 ($65) for plugging in there STAR equipment. :)

#17 ·
Hello Wil_AMG,

That is exactly what I said... only motor management system.
And you can buy the same tool already from 125 euro...
I sell these OBD2 diagnose tools too: RS232 version: 125, USB version 135.
You can also build them yourself... just buy the micro from ELM.
There was an article in Elektor some time ago for a DIY homemade diagnose system with the mOByDic chip.

These tools rely on the OBD2 spec, just as my OBD2Spy software which works with Scantool ELM327 interface or the mOByDic 2600 interface.

I recommend the ELM327 because of the high speed comms between interface and PC. Think the interface you bought runs on a ELM327 (?).

Software which works with these OBD2 tools:
- Digimoto
- Scantool
- Scanmaster
- PCMScan
- ProScan

and some others.

Regards, Msmax

#18 ·
With the advice from Msmax managed to access most of the MB systems

This is a lot more than any OBD11 system :thumbsup:

Systems accessed

1 ME............................ pin 4
2 ABS.......................... pin6
3 EGS Transmission.... pin 10
4 Instrument Cluster.. pin 15
5 Air Cond ..................pin 16
6 Airbag .....................pin 30

Unabe to access PSE... pin 20......unsure why....any suggestions Msmax?

Also unable to scan pin 31...Remote central locking....IRCL was only available as an analogue test on my 7.4 version

......was keen to see if I could activate the 'Netherlands' setting....not because I wanted the chirp.....just to see if i could do it...unfortunately I couldn't :(

Just used a paper clip to probe the 38pin connector ====>yellow connector with alligator clip
Red & Black to battery....a bit clumsy, but worked :)

This really is a big advance over what is offered by a generic OBD11 system

Fortunately all my systems came up as ok...how useful the errors are remains to be seen

David

#19 ·
David in Australia said:
With the advice from Msmax managed to access most of the MB systems

This is a lot more than any OBD11 system :thumbsup:

Systems accessed

1 ME............................ pin 4
2 ABS.......................... pin6
3 EGS Transmission.... pin 10
4 Instrument Cluster.. pin 15
5 Air Cond ..................pin 16
6 Airbag .....................pin 30

Unabe to access PSE... pin 20......unsure why....any suggestions Msmax?

Also unable to scan pin 31...Remote central locking....IRCL was only available as an analogue test on my 7.4 version

......was keen to see if I could activate the 'Netherlands' setting....not because I wanted the chirp.....just to see if i could do it...unfortunately I couldn't :(

Just used a paper clip to probe the 38pin connector ====>yellow connector with alligator clip
Red & Black to battery....a bit clumsy, but worked :)

This really is a big advance over what is offered by a generic OBD11 system

Fortunately all my systems came up as ok...how useful the errors are remains to be seen

David

Good one David.
Maybe you can post that under a suitable heading in Useful posts sticky above ??
with exactly what you did?

Bazzle

#20 ·
Live Auto Transmission Data

Bazzle said:
Maybe you can post that under a suitable heading in Useful posts sticky above ??
with exactly what you did?

Bazzle
Still investigating....will do a fresh post with all the details & pics when I feel I have got to the bottom of what this unit offers

Still can't access the PSE Module.....but an exciting development when I managed to get live Transmission Data.....EGS on pin 10

This means Live Data for both the Engine & Transmission....I doubt any other unit offers this for the price

A bit dodgy to drive with may current setup....but may make up a switched lead for ME & EGS Live data that is secure for driving....you could butcher your spare 38pin lead to do this Bazzle :thumbsup:

Attachments

#227 · (Edited)
Still investigating....will do a fresh post with all the details & pics when I feel I have got to the bottom of what this unit offers

Still can't access the PSE Module.....but an exciting development when I managed to get live Transmission Data.....EGS on pin 10

This means Live Data for both the Engine & Transmission....I doubt any other unit offers this for the price

A bit dodgy to drive with may current setup....but may make up a switched lead for ME & EGS Live data that is secure for driving....you could butcher your spare 38pin lead to do this Bazzle :thumbsup:
What is the two last RPM reading on page 1 of 4 ? (1/5)
When this to are not active, (greyed out) it will say somthing else, but similar.

Anybody have manual?

Is this actual the wheel sensors?
Ore the RPM sensors in the transmission?

At stillstand, the bottom one is displaying different values with the brake engaged
Wheel 2 showing 0
Wheel 3 showing 9 with brakes on, and 1 without brakes

Attachments

#21 ·
Guys excuse my igreness, but what is the difference between the device you’re talking about and the hand held code scanner. What more can this do that the OBD2 can not. If given the choice which one is the best. You talk about a 38 pin, I just purchased a CAN OBD2 code reader for $250 that has a 14 pin conector and wondering if I should return it for the one you guys are talking about, they said I could return it if it did not work.

#22 ·
Not really much difference. Early and most Ozzie SLKs dont have the OBD2 port under dash so have to use the generic MB connector on comp case.

As you may of read from the begining the carsoft does not interrogate all functions, very similar to OBD2.

The pin out just allows a couple more functions if you are willing to experiment with loose wires and a PC interface.

I would try your scanner 1st. A lot of owners on here from the USA use the same as you with good results.

Bazzle

#23 ·
Depends were you live :dunno:

In non US markets (Australia, Europe, UK, South Africa) early SLK's only came with a 38 pin connector....no OBD11......so this is our cheapest option

If you have the OBD11 connector under the dash then a generic scanner is your cheapest option......the extra functions I have found might still be available, but you might need a MB specific scanner...something like this.......

http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/mb_scnrs.html

Give your scanner a try....if you just want to read and erase OBD11 codes then it might be all you need

The Carsoft system is really the next level......used by some MB Indy's instead of the Star Diagnosis System

It has some extra functions similar to the (very expensive) Star Diagnosis your dealer uses

1 Service Interval reset and adjust
2 Adaption reset of Engine and Transmission
3 Live Data...Engine & Transmission.... as above

I haven't checked all these functions as yet (a bit anxious about resetting adaption of ME & EGS) ....but if they all work then the low cost of this unit ($US 133) should make it attractive to everyone with a laptop

Stay tuned while I do some more probing:1poke:

David

#24 ·
Bazzle & David,
You guys and others on the forum are great, I have only been viewing this site for the past week and the responses I've received –especially from down under- have all been really helpful and informative, it really makes owning a SLK and DIY repairs a walk in the park.

Thanks again for your time you spend with responding to the Q&A.

Don Reid

#25 ·
Good job David. That is exactly what a multiplexer also does, but then without a paperclip...

Just to make it clear:
OBD2 is definately not (yet) the same as what Carsoft is.

You can do ONLY engine management system error read/clear.
That is all. If you have the choice between CS74 and OBD2, definately go for CS74.

You should be able to diagnose all supported controllers in your car with CS.
No exceptions for all supported models.

If you can not access a controller then this is usually due to bad design of the interface.

CS74 supports almost all models up to 2002/2003.

Good luck with further diagnoses of your cars...

Msmax