Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Brake-light issue leading to BAS/ESP issue???

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  venk 
#1 ·
Few days ago, I noticed that my 'exterior lamp failure warning light' was lit (stayed lit).
And, sure enough it was my driver side brake-light that would not work from time to time.

Being a good forum member that I am, I was prepared to deal with this issue. I've read topics after topics regarding this same prob. I wanted make a quick fix to last me till the hopeful brake-light recall in June...

Today, I pulled the panel in the trunk and was able to extract the brake-light bulb. No apparent shortage there. So, I cleaned the bulb holder and ran a zip line through the bottom of the holder to provide better contact points to the panel. I was proud of myself and my wife smiled.

Till I turned my ignition to test the lights... that is

BAS/ESP warning light came on soon as I pushed my brake pedal and stayed on, and 'exterior lamp failure warning light' will come on and off as I press on the brake pedal... what's worse... now none of the brake lights work...

What have I done??? I'm afraid it will be a risky drive to my dealer with no brake lights... sigh...

See less See more
#2 ·
In my wife's ML, this failure occurred due to a faulty switch behind the brake pedal. Its about a $10 part but a little of a pain to install.

#3 ·
This problem may just be a coincidence.

Exactly what did you insert in the bulb socket holder (I don't know what a zip line is). Are you sure that whatever you inserted isn't made of conducting material or contains conducting material?

If you did put conducting material there, then of course you should be banned from working on anything more than changing light bulbs and even that only under supervision from the wife, of course. :)

#4 ·
Lol

venk said:
This problem may just be a coincidence.

Exactly what did you insert in the bulb socket holder (I don't know what a zip line is). Are you sure that whatever you inserted isn't made of conducting material or contains conducting material?

If you did put conducting material there, then of course you should be banned from working on anything more than changing light bulbs and even that only under supervision from the wife, of course. :)
It was a plastic zip tie made of plastic :)
I got the idea from this link
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r17...s-finally-hit-home.html?highlight=brake+light

Anyways... The car is at the dealer... it was due for a service anyways... sigh...

#5 ·
I think the zip tie trick was my idea (venk had used plastic coffee stir sticks cut to size, I modified his idea with the zip ties). I don't think it is related to your BAS/ESP lights though. You said that it did not appear that there had been any arcing between the bulb holder and the contacts...was the bulb holder hard to remove from the socket? Mine was melted and very hard to remove. If there was some damage at the socket I suppose there could be some kind of short at the contact. I put zip ties on all the bulb holders that are in the rear light assemblies after both assemblies were replaced under warranty (for melted brake sockets) and haven't had any problems in a year. Hopefully this issue will be old news after the recall finally comes out and MB replaces all the rear light assemblies. For pictures of my assemblies after the zip tie fix, see post #11 in the following thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1174293-brake-light-socket-fix-tip-best.html?highlight=brake

Let us know what the BAS/ESP issue turned out to be.

#7 ·
I think I have a similar fault. Just some days ago my stereo want in limp home mode. As I start the engine and turn the stereo everything is fine, but when I touch the brake pedal all hell brakes loose. There is a sound from the speakers that scream on close to max volume. Almost glass shattering.

Can this be a problem with grounding or any fault in the brakepedal switch?

BR
Jonas

#8 ·
Jonas_Gothenburg said:
but when I touch the brake pedal all hell brakes loose. There is a sound from the speakers that scream on close to max volume. Almost glass shattering.
That is the voice of the CFO of Daimler-Benz expressing his opinion of the engineers that designed the brake lights and the location of the PSE pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.