BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool Headlight reminder chime not working

I go to start my SLK230 yesterday moring and found out the battery was dead. Turns out I left the headlights on overnight. After I jumped the battery, I found out that the headlight on reminder no longer chimes when door is open. I opened the fuse box under the hood and checked all fuses with a tester, all fuses were fine. I also checked the fuse box inside the car and manually pulled those fuses. All seemed OK. Sounds like it is not a fuse problem? What could cause this? I forgot to turn off my headlights again today (due to no chime) and killed the battery a second time. Don't want to make it 3 times a charm......I am not sure if it is the same chime, but when you turn on the ignition, the car chimes 14 times (reminder for seatbelt). That chime works, again not sure if same chime as headlights on that doesn't work.

To add, when I jumped the battery the first time, when the car finally started 1) The clock reset back to 12:00 2) Radio prompted me for code.
The same as if the negative terminal were disconnected. Is the chime function something that is programmable that lets you turn it on or off and it reset itself to off mode?????

Last edited by MCBILL; 04-26-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I found out more. Apparently the car is not recognizing when the driver side door is open. When the door is open, the overhead dome light does not come on like it should, the dashboard does not show the time, temp and mileage (it shows when car is running though), and the chime does not work when headlights are on when door open. Anybody know where the sensor is that tells the car that the driver door is open? The only other thing I can think of is when I changed the cabin air filter, a clip fell down behind the metal shield. I reached back there to try and find clip with no luck. I tried again today to see if you hit wires with your hand when it is behind the metal shield. No luck - wires must be down very low and you are at an awkward angle. See pictures. I was thinking perhaps wiring got loose / disconnected but again I couldn't feel any wires with my hand behind the shield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MBPROBLEM 001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	83211   Click image for larger version

Name:	MBPROBLEM 002.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	83212   Click image for larger version

Name:	MBPROBLEM 003.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	83213  

Last edited by MCBILL; 04-26-2006 at 08:28 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:41 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: SLK
Send a message via MSN to adelaideslk
Stop taking everything apart!

Obviously your battery is screwed or in need of a full on proper charge.

Of course nothing will work if the car is off and the battery is dead.

Of course it will all work if you jump start it and have it running!

Get your battery professionally charged if possible or buy a new one - I will bet money that this is the problem and solution
#4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:52 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Odd thing is that I was opening and closing both doors to troubleshoot (problems tied to driver door only), everything seemed to work normal again, then stopped working, and then started working again. All that within 15 minutes. Battery ok as car starts and runs, but I will take the advice and have battery professionally charged tomorrow. Thanks and have a great day!
#5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:49 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '98 SLK230
Send a message via MSN to YellowSLK230
The problem can be as complex as a fault in the PSE which interprets the various door switches, or as simple as a stuck door switch (which is the first and simplest thing to check for position adjustment or a sticking plunger; if the switch sticks in the door-closed position, the car will think the door never opened, hence no light, odometer numbers, or door-ajar warning).

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.