Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Annoying buzzing sound from automatic shift lever

26K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  Sinbadd 
#1 ·
I think a family of bees has taken up residence in my center console.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I have the most annoying vibration possible coming up straight through the hand lever of the automatic transmission on my '01 230. It's not a "jar your teeth" type of vibration, it's a high frequency "make every trim part in your console buzz" type of vibration. When I lay my hand on the lever firmly enough I can dampen the vibration enough to keep my passengers from looking oddly at the strange sounds being emmitted by my vehicle.

I am expieriencing no transmission related problems with the vehicle by the way. Shifts are smooth and strong, no hesitation or slipping.

Any suggestions on the likely culprit of this?

#2 ·
Had this on my UK 02 230 auto as well. Was worst at around 2500 engine rpm, regardless of which gear. Thought at first maty be suoercharger linked but never really identified vibration generator as opposed to the resonater (linkage).

Took a while to sort out and was solved by adding (welding)a weight (about a pound!!) to the gear linkage to stop it vibrating - little like adding weights to the ends of handlebars on a motor bike to kill vibes. This was 30k miles ago and no transmission or engine problems. Guys from MBUK HQ in Milton Keynes had seen one other in UK and had to try a few ideas first including replacing the linkage etc to no benefit. All done under warranty.

#4 ·
I have this problem too. I always have to hold the shift lever while driving to stop the annoying vibrating sound. Is there some sort of bandaid fix to remove the sound?

#5 ·
well I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Was concerned people would say "what are you talking about, we never have this problem". [:D]

Strangely enough, this is only a recent problem, I never used to have this crazy vibration coming up through the linkage. That implies to me that it is a misalignment or other wear-caused issue within the linkage. Of course it's disheartening to hear that other people have had their entire linkage changed to no avail.

#8 ·
Something has shifted in the drivetrain/linkage. Try loosening engine and trans mounts start car and see if it changes. If evident no longer torque mounting bolts to spec and drive on. Otherwise the attachment of a vibration damper ( long bracket with weights that can be added or subtracted to)to absorb/dampen the vibration.
Many GM and Ford products utilizing 4 and 6cyl engines have these dampers from the factory. (late seventies, eighties models.) Might be able to snipe one of these dampers from a wrecking yard and adapt it to the SLK.
Hope this helps...just an opinion.FR

#9 ·
Usually the transmission/shift lever buzz and vibration is caused by a worn, nylon bushing in the shift-linkage. There are two I think and either one or both can wear down to where there is an annoying buzz until it is replaced. I bought a 98 slk with 50,000 miles on it and it had the buzz. If I kept my hand on the shiftnob and put pressure on it it wouldn't rattle. It also seemed to rattle more at certain RPMs. I took it to a private shop where they removed the whole electronic shifter unit (from inside the car, not underneath) then simply replaced the .50 bushings in the linkage and then dropped it back into place. The only real cost was labor and it came to about $225.00 all together. Before I had the private shop do that, the Mercedes dealer assessed the problem as "too much play in the shift linkage" and wanted to replace the electronic shift unit at $1500.00 plus $400 labor to install it. All to fix the .50 nylon bushing that had worn down. Needless to say, I was glad I went to the private shop and they knew what to do. It hasn't rattled since. BTW, I learned of this problem/fix by reading the forum here about a year ago. I don't think it is an easy DIY fix, but probably could be for some.[:)]

#10 ·
thanks for all the input!

I will ask my friend/mechanic if maybe this bushing and or linkage is accessible by me and maybe i can write up DIY. I have tried to take out the whole shifter before held by 4 hex screws but wasnt confident enough so i stopped the project. will try again.

#11 ·
Here is the link to the fix. Should take like 30 min. if everything goes right.

http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1196951&posts=1

Also - Make sure the car is completely cool because you will be working near the center mufflers. Also, luckily I had a long angled-end needle-nose plier...probably couldn't put back the clip as easily. Now the sound is completedly gone. Darn 92 cent bushing....hahahhahahaa

#15 ·
got the chance to pick up that little sucker which aparently my dealer wants $3 for. the PN is 202-992-00-10 but the markings on the part itself is a 210 part number, but i guess they are interchangable. also installed it in a little over 30 min. anyway, here are a couple of pics.

Per bumanng's instruction:
"The shifter in my SLK vibrated everytime it would shift up a gear. The problem ended up being a 91 cent rubber bushing on the shift linkage. The bushing is called "AT Shift linkage bushing". Jack up the drivers side of the car. Look on the side of the transmission were the shift linkage is connected. Follow the linkage rod toward the back of the car for about 12 inches or so. The linkage connects to the shifter at this point. The rubber bushing fits inside the shifter arm were the linkage is connected. I had to pull my shifter into the 1 position to see this. My rubber bushing was completely gone. You have to loosen the heat shield around the mufflers and slide it back to help gain access. Removing the linkage is self explainatory, there is just one clip. I heated the new bushing with a heat gun to make installation easier. Shifter is now vibration free.

Attachments

#37 ·
Many thanks for your posting with the part number and pics. I had my bushing replaced yesterday it was like $1.98 for the bushing but I ended up with a bill for 120.00. The shop charged me a 1 hr. min. even thought it probably to them 1/2 hr. Anyway the vibration noise was driving me crazy so to me it was worth every penny.

#16 ·
May sound like a silly question, but was the buzz only in the shift lever, or could it be felt elsewhere too?

Read my first post here, as I was wondering if it could be related.

http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1243494&posts=15&fid=26

#17 ·
I had this problem - it was worse at idle and in reverse but stationary (foot on brake) when the car was cold.

Turned out to be worn out bushes for the gear box. Was about $300AUD to fix.

Thats if it is the same problem!

#18 ·
adelaideslk - 1/15/2006 7:52 PM

I had this problem - it was worse at idle and in reverse but stationary (foot on brake) when the car was cold.

Turned out to be worn out bushes for the gear box. Was about $300AUD to fix.

Thats if it is the same problem!
If you mean by "worn out bushes for the gear box" the transmission mount (or what is called the "rear" engine mount), then I am scheduled to have that replaced Wednesday.

#19 ·
If I meant engine mount I would have simply said engine mount.

I had the engine mounts replaced at a later date.

What i meant were the gearbox bushes. As I stated in my original post.

You will notice after your engine mounts are replaced the car literally feels new again.

#20 ·
adelaideslk - 1/15/2006 8:39 PM

If I meant engine mount I would have simply said engine mount.

I had the engine mounts replaced at a later date.

What i meant were the gearbox bushes. As I stated in my original post.

You will notice after your engine mounts are replaced the car literally feels new again.
I am unfamiliar with the location of the "gearbox bushes." The reason I said "rear engine mount" is that MB lists it as the "rear engine mount" but it is also commonly called the "transmission" or "gearbox" mount. I thought you might be referring to that. The engine mounts most commonly replaced on the SLK are the fluid filled "front engine mounts" left & right side.

#21 ·
Yes they are. Had I stated that I replaced my engine mounts I would have been referring to the 2 oil filled left and right mounts.

These were replaced at a later date as my 2nd post stated.

Initially the problem was solved by the bushings being replaced for the gearbox.

If you would like to discuss it further, please contact your local Mercedes Benz workshop.

#22 ·
adelaideslk - 1/15/2006 9:01 PM

If you would like to discuss it further, please contact your local Mercedes Benz workshop.
My original post was in direct response to slkpwr's post and pictures, so I believe I will await his response.

#23 ·
larryk - 1/15/2006 8:18 PM

May sound like a silly question, but was the buzz only in the shift lever, or could it be felt elsewhere too?

larryk
the sound is only on the lever, it is more like there are loose coins inside the shifter. your problem might be different if you feel the vibration inside the car. this can only solve the annoying sound. my linkage didnt have the bushing at all, that would be the worst case for this matter but still it was just sound and no vibrations. sorry bro, wish i could help.

#24 ·
slkpwr - 1/15/2006 9:25 PM

larryk - 1/15/2006 8:18 PM

larryk
the sound is only on the lever, it is more like there are loose coins inside the shifter. your problem might be different if you feel the vibration inside the car. this can only solve the annoying sound. my linkage didnt have the bushing at all, that would be the worst case for this matter but still it was just sound and no vibrations. sorry bro, wish i could help.
Hey thanks, you have helped. At least I know that my shift linkage bushing is not worn and causing this issue. I was just preparing for the next possible step in the event replacing the rear engine/transmission collapsed mount did not solve the problem. So, thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.