Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Race track visit this weekend: SLK 320 is faster than BMW M3 and 911

1K views 12 replies 0 participants last post by  SMa 
G
#1 ·
I have been trying for a long time to find the right opportunity to do this and finally it came up.<br> The local sports car club arranged this day on the track, so the competition of other brands was large. All sorts of cars showed up, a great opportunity to se how the “unsporty� SLK 320 competes with the very sporty BMW and Porsche 911 etc. I am happy to say that the SLK 320 with MT worked very well on the technically challenging track. I was overall faster on the track that the BMW M3 (321 hp version) and I were faster on the straights than the 911 from mid 80 early 90’s. The M3 were slightly faster than me on the straights but I gained that on the rest of the track. <br> Due to the fact that it was faster than I expected, I let one of the instructor, a former race car driver test the car for a few laps. He was very surprised by the neutral handling of the car and could confirm that it was faster than the 911 and M3 on this track.<br>

G
#5 ·
911 from mid 80's has just over 200 hp the SLK 218 is it so hard to beleve that the SLK is faster?

The M3 has 321 hp but the one I raced had higher profile tires than me. The M3 were faster on the straights but slower in turns. Believe it or not.

G
#9 ·
On a technical course such as an autocross...

Power doesn't matter as much. In fact, it's tougher to be consistent with too much power.<br> <br> Let's see how I do on Wednesday, taking the SLK 320 to the AutoX.<br>

G
#12 ·
Acutally, I took my SLK230 to the autox this past weekend for the first time...

It was my first time autox'ing...it was a lot of fun...the M Club hosted the auto-x at Giant's Stadium...they're a great bunch of guys (and girls)...<br> <br> power doesn't matter as much on the course...i was pulling the same times around the track as my friend's Supra...then again, it was his first time too...there were lower hp miata's pulling faster times than me...and I was running the same times as a 90hp Porsche...I'm definitely looking forward to the next event!

G
#13 ·
Can never imagine beating my co-worker's M3 with my SLK320MT

... straight, curve, uphill, downhill, forward, reverse, good day, or bad day, doesn't matter.<br> <br> The only way I beat him is the looks. My sunburst yellow SLK definitely get more attention than a black M3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.