Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

optimal auto tranny shifting?

606 views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  Brian 
G
#1 ·
I wonder about how getting the most performance out of a auto tranny?<br> <br> -just put in D and floor it or<br> -floor it and upshift with +?<br> <br> What's the thing some people call 'power shifting'?<br> Any tips for quick launch are welcome!

G
#2 ·
Depends, if you are going straight then just mash the pedal...

if you are in twisties, you'd do better to hold the tranny in a chosen gear. Even though it doesn't really, as its free to down shift on its own.

G
#3 ·
Shifting, launching...

I don't have enough time with the 230 automatic, but you'll have to see where it shifts when you floor it. If it shifts by itself immediately before redline, you probably can't do better by using the Touchshift (+).<br> <br> I think journalists have said that brake-torqueing worked best for launching the 230 automatic. That means putting your foot on the brake and reving the engine up. My guess is around 1500 RPM, but somebody else may know the exact figure. Note that this heats up the transmission fluid VERY fast, so don't do it often, or else have your transmission fluid changed regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.