Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

BAS/ESP light came on for a while...grrrr! (more)

2K views 9 replies 0 participants last post by  Dennis (Boston area) 
G
#1 ·
The light came on while driving, then re-set after I turned the car off and on again. Then, it came back on after a couple of miles. The car sat for a few hours, and when I started it again to come home from work, the light was out. It has not come back on.<br> I think the systems are working, because I tried to spin the tires on the wet roads, and ESP started flashing like crazy.<br> Anyone have a similar experience? Any ideas what's going on?<br>

G
#3 ·
Had the same thing a couple months ago...

Turned out to be a faulty switch under the brake. My BAS/ESP light stayed on each time I put the car into Drive. Dealer diagnosed and fixed it in about 30 minutes.

G
#5 ·
Never on my Slk yet, but 3 times happen on my Clk,just manually reset/program by....................

<br> start the car, then turn the steering all the way to oneside until you can't turn it anymore, then do the opposite to the other side.

G
#6 ·
BAS/ESP

My ML430 did this. Turned out to be the speed sensor. It's easy to see if this is it by trying to set cruise control. If it doesn't go on when this is lit you figured out what is wrong.

G
#7 ·
I have the same problem...

MB said it's probably a faulty sensor. I've yet to take it in since the 1 hr appointment two weeks ago turnned into a 4 hour appointment and they still failed to fix all of my problems (Seatbelt strangles passengers, Driver side C-Pillar rubbing (they fixed this but now the passenger side does it), and my tail lights (the two closest to license plate) seem to come on and off as they please.<br> <br> Anyone suggest a good dealer for service in the BAltimore area? I've just about had it with MileOne/Herb Gordon in Laurel...<br> <br> CC

G
#9 ·
Dennis, it is probably one faulty sensor....

I had this problem before and the ESP light will come on and off as it pleases, esp during cold start up. Apparently, one of the sensor switches ( there are many on the electric board...) went down, I think it was the brake ones..., and fried the ESP one as well. It all has to do with the way MB links the sensors up electronically. Just have it replace and you will be on your way. Their computerised diagnostic system can tell it in minutes. <br> <br> I was thinking about the problems my SLK have so far (ESP sensor, Fuel sensor, Lid misalignment...) and the dealer has always been able to fix the problem and they never recur again ( I used 5000-6000miles after problem as gauge). So far so good, and the engine is running better than ever at 16000 miles. <br> <br>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.