Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Why doesnt AMG make 18" wheels?

959 views 22 replies 0 participants last post by  Brian 
G
#1 ·
I am new and wondering if anyone know why AMG doesnt do 18' wheels for the SLK... well I know the new CLK ones will fit, but why doesnt it do it for the SLK? Is it a fitting problem or the car wont be as fast so they do without it!?

G
#5 ·
I think the concern is 35 series tires...

... please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the CLK can run 18's with a 40 series tire. It takes a little more than normal caution to roll on a 35 series tire and if MB gets a ton of customers coming back with bent rims, it could get rather costly.<br> <br> Also, you'll notice most folks who roll on 18's will lower their cars as well. That's because the car can get to looking 'jacked up' unless you do. The rule of thumb is that if the 'wheelgap' is wider than the tire sidewall, it needs to be lowered to look right.

G
#9 ·
Hmmm .... interesting. Arnee, are you saying...

... that that is an option offered by the factory, or that they 'fit' just like they would on the SLK???<br> <br> All along I thought the factory was reluctant to recommend 35 series tires. That doesn't mean they won't fit.<br> <br> I beleive dumbdumb's original question was 'how come 18's aren't offered as a FACTORY option on AMG packaged SLKs'??? If what you are saying about the CLK is true, I guess there is no good reason.

G
#12 ·
What do the ET 34 and ET37 means?

Isnt it suppose to be ET30 and ET37? how come the AMG says ET34 and ET37?<br> <br> BTW, what are the ET stuff anyway? are they the offset or what!?<br> <br>

G
#14 ·
When do you think the 18" double spoke will be on sale!? or should I go for 17"?

I am thinking of getting wheels for my SLK230.. but since we know there will be 18' wheel for the CLK very soon, when can we expect to find it in store!? Do you guys recommend 18' or the 17'?

G
#15 ·
I put the 18" 2 piece styling III on Saturday with bridgestone p03's

Looks very hot. I have a 2001 slk230 silver. I will post pics the end of week after I install cross drilled rotors. 255/35 and 225/40 are the same height, remember the second number is a percentage. I will keep my old wheels in case I trade up to a 32.<br>

G
#18 ·
It depends....

18's are gonna look better and be more expensive. 17's will make the ride more comfortable.<br> <br> The other thing to consider is lowering. With my 17's, my car was right on the edge as far as having to lower. With 18's I felt I 'had to' lower it to make it look right. Lowering also makes the ride harsher.

G
#20 ·
Lowering the car...

Hey PJozefiak, since you talked about lowering the car... the gap between the car and the wheel is about 0.5 inch and the gap at the back is like 1 inch... if I put in AMG springs which will lower the car 1.5 inch all around, then do you think the front will not look too good!?

G
#21 ·
I believe the specs for AMG springs are ....

.... 1.2 lower all around.<br> <br> Hmmm, with those kinds of gaps (small) you either have a 'Sport' version, or live in Europe, or both. Either way, with such small gaps you should be able to run 18's without changing springs ... Deutsch Bonus!

G
#22 ·
THank PJozefiak

Thanks Pjozefiak... I live in Hong Kong. <br> <br> Now I just cant wait for the 18' double spoke... but I first have to wear my SO3 down a bit more. Just put them on not too long ago.<br> <br> Btw, is that your car at the bottom? I have the same blue as well. I am wondering if I dont change the bumper and sideskirts, do you think the car will still look good with the 18' wheels!?<br> <br>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.