Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Two weeks with an M roadster....(Rather Long)

581 views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  Shane 
G
#1 ·
I had my best friend's M roadster for 2 weeks and I used the car for every kind of work, exactly as I do with my slk. Yes, it is fast and pretty but that's about it! I had to run for my Advil everytime I got off the car. There is so much noise from the cover and so much squeaking from just about everywhere that I can assure you that the slk is built to perfection. I know that we often complain about the quality of the SLK, but I know I wont't complain again. Finally, the tests report that the M roadster is a blast to drive fast...This is so if you ignore the substantial mechanical noises and transmission vibrations everytime you shift. I also went to my favorite road in the mountains and then it became obvious that the frame of the M is not really capable of keeping up with the 321 PS. When I turned I was facing some understeer(!!) and I had either to back off or (my favorite) cancel it out with oversteer. I never felt as secure as in the SLK and I never felt the confidence I am feeling in the same road with my SLK. To my surprise I even prefer the Slk's steering, which feels more precise and with better feedback.<br> I guess my conclusion is that all the tests about the M roadster and the SLK are accurate if you have the cars for a couple of days. It takes a bit of time to settle in the SLK and find its sporty feeling, where as the M rodster offers plenty of that immediately, probably due to its lack of quality. After that short period there is no comparison.

G
#3 ·
Yes, Z3's are truly inferior

Don't take my word for it. Go drive a used one. It is one flexi-flyer of a convertible. Rattles almost as bad as a Miata. Makes a C4 Corvette convertible seem serene!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.