Some help please!! My hood is stuck closed... Cable stuck! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '99 SLK 230 - White
Send a message via ICQ to NJ CoolBreeze Send a message via AIM to NJ CoolBreeze Send a message via MSN to NJ CoolBreeze Send a message via Yahoo to NJ CoolBreeze
Some help please!! My hood is stuck closed... Cable stuck!

Yesterday I went to open my hood. The latch just barley budged but the cable wouldn't move. I pulled harder and harder and finally... the steel cable won over the plastic handle and the handle cracked and broke.

The hood release cable is intact and stuck tight. I tried pulling in it with pliers but the thing won't budge at all. I even had a friend push and release the hood as I pulled the cable hoping that would help release the latch but to no avail.

Does anyone know away to open the hood?

-NJ CoolBreeze[B)]
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: SLK32AMG
RE: Some help please!! My hood is stuck closed... Cable stuck!

Did you try to close the hood and rerelease the latch using the handle under the dash?
bbsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 01SLK320 totaled =(

Quote:
linh - 5/20/2004 4:29 PM

TK DOOM properly is the only one that can help you. Samething happen to his car.

No, mine just wouldn't stay up and they replaced the tensioner.

Looks like he as a problem with the mechanical holding the hood in place up front.

Maybe spray some WD-40 (via straw) into the area under the hood where the latch is? Then use some need nose pliers or vice grips to pull on the wire under the dash?

Old 05-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6

Quote:
Looks like he as a problem with the mechanical holding the hood in place up front.
I think his latch mechanism somehow stuck in position where it can't be moved by cable at all.

Or cable got pitched heavily somewhere. We need to take a picture of the latch to see how it can be stuck and how to unstuck it. Or release cable is pitched big time.

I am voting for attempt to use a screwdriver to play with latch and see if it can be freed.

Can somebody post a picture of latch so we can take a look what can be wrong ? I only got a camera on my phone - and pic woudn't be that good.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6

Quote:
Maybe spray some WD-40 (via straw) into the area under the hood where the latch is? Then use some need nose pliers or vice grips to pull on the wire under the dash?
Isn't WD40 quite harsh on paint ?
Kirill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 01SLK320 totaled =(

Quote:
Kirill - 5/20/2004 5:34 PM

Quote:
Isn't WD40 quite harsh on paint ?

Dunno, just a thought...that is why I said with the straw device to make sure it goes where you want it to go.
TK Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '99 SLK 230 - White
Send a message via ICQ to NJ CoolBreeze Send a message via AIM to NJ CoolBreeze Send a message via MSN to NJ CoolBreeze Send a message via Yahoo to NJ CoolBreeze
Thanks! Some info below...

OK, with some WD-40 and a friend jiggling the hood up and down, the hood opened... then it wouldn't close and lock!! I investigated and found that one of the moving parts of the latch... the part that the cable pulls is spring loaded... and it looks like the spring is sprung... broken. I played with the latch setting till it was just right and finally got the latch to lock and close the hood. I am bringing it in on Tuesday so they can look at it. They will probably have to change the lach.

The latch area seemed pretty gunked and crusty. I suggest you periodically clean and lube that area so the latch works smoothly. I used some foaming 3M engine cleaner my friend supplied, then coated the ares with lubricant... but come Tuesday, it will probably be replaced anyway.

Thanks again for all the info guys!!

-NJ CoolBreeze
NJ CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class