Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Your SLK "Primary" or "Secondary" mode of transportation?

• Primary mode of transportation

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Secondary mode of transportation

Votes: 13 37.1%

Your SLK "Primary" or "Secondary" mode of transportation?

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  2000 SLK 230 LM 
#1 ·
Hey,

I was wondering how many of us on this forum use our SLK's as the 'Primary' mode of transportation?
I know we have quite a few people on this forum who have multiple vehicles and for them I guess the question would be, do you drive the SLK the most from among the rest of your cars? [:)]

VH

#8 ·
RE: Your SLK "Primary" or "Secondary" mode of transportation?

Main vehicle Company car
Mitsibishi Space wagon...General hack about
1961 Austin Healey 3000 Mk II Tricarb sunny days.
SLK32AMG High days and holidays/weekender.

#12 ·
SLK: primary...

SLK: primary
WALK: secondary
MUNI (SF public train system): last resort

#13 ·

She values this more because of 1) soft suspension; 2) 3 extra seats for my 'father-mother-sister' in-law, and THAT is the reason why i bought my SLK! [:D]

I have to share this:

This Sunday - friend of mine dropped by to use my garage to replace brake pads on his 2000 civic with 36K. Seemed like not a big deal - just an hour of work most.

Just FYI - Civics caliper got bolt on one side and a hinge on another - so you suppose to get one bolt out, flip caliper off and you can take the pads out.

Well, he broke the passenger side caliper bolt in a first attempt to get it out.

We were thought "o, well, let's get the second bolt out, than run to AutoZone to get a duplicate of it and a screw extractor and replace the first one."

Second bolt snapped off as well. He was just using small wrench with out any pipe-extension on it. He broke both bolt with his bare hands.

50$ in screw extractors and hours of attempts later we gave up and very carefully drove the car to the service nearby. Guy there charged him 270$ to install new calipers on both sides - there was no way to get a mounting bracket (the one that was still holding broken off part of the screw) with out buying new caliper.

So what did I and my friend learned from this ?
Heat up the caliper mount when you change brake pads ? - NO
Never buy Honda ? - YES

#14 ·

Cabrio - 5/4/2004 5:20 PM

2000 SLK 230 LM - 5/4/2004 4:17 PM

Hehe what does your wife drive?[:)]..

VH
a CIVIC!!

She values this more because of 1) soft suspension; 2) 3 extra seats for my 'father-mother-sister' in-law, and THAT is the reason why i bought my SLK! [:D]
I see your point hehe [:D]!!

VH

#17 ·

You are absolutely correct. I took the BART down to the airport and had to deal with some guy falling asleep on my shoulder. And I won't get into the lovely orange velvet decor.

#18 ·

LOL, the last time, and I mean last time ever, I took bart some guy was in a heated disagreement with his pocket, and behold what did he remove from his pocket but a mouse. Think of images from Steinbeck's of mice and men. And don't they know orange is so 90's [8D]

#19 ·

primary, i only have one car, hoping to buy a "toy" some time next year to take racing.

#20 ·

Only have one car at the moment. SLK it is !

#22 ·

If I need to use a car I use the SLK which just sits on the drive for most of the time unused.

My wife has an A class and she uses that daily.

#23 ·

What do you meant? There's two way you can replace the brake pad. The way you guys did or remove the whole brake caliber and change out the pad. As for the screw that broked, can you just remove the whole brake caliber and have the machine shop drill out the broken bolt?
On my other car - Ford - caliper got two bolts - you take them of and you can remove caliper from the disk. Civic had a hinge instead of one bolt.

We tried to remove the whole caliper, but bolts between caliper mounting bracket and the rest of the car were sitting quite strong and we didn't go that way - we were afraid that the whole car will fall apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.