Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ever wonder why SLK230's don't have Fog Lights?

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  cvayala 
#1 ·
Does anybody know why???

Can you possibly connect bumper light wires to the headlight wires and make it into a Fog Light?

Anybody done it yet???

#4 ·
Are the lights in the bumper Fog Lights, or Driving Lights?

I thought fog lights were normally yellow.

#7 ·
RE: Are the lights in the bumper Fog Lights, or Driving Lights?

sorry, should've been more clear on the discription.

for example, on the 2000 SLK230 (OEM) there are two lights on the bumper. On my SLK, the bumper "fog lamps" don't go on when car is in motion. Only when you exit the car at night, it goes on for 30 seconds or so. So I'm sitting here thinking, why don't they go on when your driving??? Kind of worthless don't you think?

Or are they supposed to work when you're driving?

#8 ·
HUH?

benzo13 - 1/26/2004 6:12 PM

for example, on the 2000 SLK230 (OEM) there are two lights on the bumper. On my SLK, the bumper "fog lamps" don't go on when car is in motion. Only when you exit the car at night, it goes on for 30 seconds or so. So I'm sitting here thinking, why don't they go on when your driving??? Kind of worthless don't you think?

Or are they supposed to work when you're driving?
If you want them to be on, pull the switch and they will turn on. It's kinda unclear what your question is -- unless you weren't aware that you can turn on the fog lamps by pulling the headlamp switch??

#9 ·
Turn your headlamp switch clockwise either one or two clicks, then pull it out.

The bumper lights you're referring to ARE the fog lights. Yes, they do turn on for 30 seconds after exiting the vehicle at night, but they also turn on when you're driving. Just turn your headlamp switch clockwise either one or two clicks and pull out on the switch. The foglamps will turn on.

#11 ·

You can still find yellow fog lights. Yellow penetrates heavy fog better than "bluer" light. Guess since most folks don't really use them for fog and they think white looks better, that's what we get on our vehicles.

I got to use my fog lights a few weeks ago on a trip to Julian. I took the route that has a lot of twisties. About 15 miles out, I drove into some heavy fog. Could barely see the hood of my 32 for a while. The lights were reasonably effective - I could make out the road most of the time - I had to pull over for a while too. I think the rear fog light was a big help - well, at least it made me feel better knowing someone was fairly close behind.

Hey, Linh, this MB, my first, is the first car I've ever had that doesn't have a separate toggle switch for the fog lights. I could see someone having some trouble with that.

#12 ·
I guess it's just MB's way of doing things. I'm used to this way tho' (i.e. pulling the light switch to activate the fog lights) since I've been doing the same thing on the C220.

#13 ·
Now on UK spec versions the fog lights don't come on for 30 secs when you lock up etc - is this a programmable item (like the Netherlands bleep option) to link to the remote?? Would be useful to have, though I suspect an additional (or different) timer relay may be required - any ideas??

#14 ·
Almost everything is linked to the computer.............

"They" should be able to tie in the fog lamps to come on as you close the door to go into the house (or whatever) with no problem.
Lights of some sort have to have been turned on at some point during your drive to trigger the computer to turn on the courtesy lighting. I believe the time the lights stay on can be adjusted as well, 30 seconds is not the only setting.

#16 ·

I hate it when people drive around with their fog lights on when there is no fog. In many countries you get pulled over for that, I wish they would do that here in the US. Its even more annoying when people turn on their rear fog lights. And that you see most of the time on MBs, since poeple don't know that it goes on when you pull the switch out all the way.

As for it being an intuitive solution, I agree that it is not. But once you are used to it, its nicer than look for different switches all over the place, especially when you switch cars frequently.

#18 ·
[:D][:D][:D][:D][;)]omg[;)]

#19 ·
RE: Sorry but i'm one of those people

linh - 1/27/2004 10:06 PM

driving around with foglight on at night because it made the car look more sportier. Why it is annoying when the light only light up 3-4 feets in front of the car? If you ask me, the XENON light are much much more annoying because you can see it that sucker miles away.
Yeph, I agree. Can see why people say that fog lights annoying ? I use them to better light the lane markings in front of the car.
On some cars they turn on automatically with headlights.

#20 ·
I too drive around with my foglights on all the time, just hoping to make myself more visible and keep others from hitting me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.