Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Booohooo...only two months left till my SLK becomes "obsolete"...

773 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Brian_R170 
#1 ·
The new SLK is all over the local mags and newspapers.

I bet doctors, lawyers, plumbers and not few rich-daddy's kids are already queing outside Mercedes dealerships for a downpayment. And I have a mortgage to pay!!!!!

[:(!][:(!][:(!][V][V][V]

#3 ·
Never obsolete, rather it becomes a "Classic Car" :)

#5 ·
Buyer's market for a used '03 or '04 SLK32?

I'm glad others are thinking about the impact. As the new SLK details are clear and the final look and feel are revealed I do find myself attracted to the new SLK, nose and all. If you look at the original SL 300 racer (what was it called? silver bullet?) this new SLK looks like an obvious offspring. But do I want to pop retail price for a new one? Ugh. I don't think my budget can handle it. [:(!]

However, like many of you I do like the classic/original SLK look. In fact I still love my SLK's looks over the Porsche Boxster and BMW Z3 and Mazda Miata roadsters that were competitors at the time, and the added Audi TT. Of all of those, in truth, the Audi TT probably would have been my next choice if it were available with an auto tranny. (I know... I know). I'm not fond of the cloth top anymore having been spoiled as you all know.

Some of you may remember I was interested in the Chevy SLR not too long ago. However, having seen the production version of this truck roadster I'm sorely disappointed. Why the hell can't Chevy get it right? I really want to like Chevy -- I really do. But they just can't figure it out. Huge section gaps, poor interior feel, severely overpriced, and seemingly too porky all leaving me uninterested. If they could get the weight and cost down, and get the power up then I might be interested but I sincerely doubt they're upto that challenge. All wheel drive would have been a no brainer in my mind too but they missed screwed that up as well. [B)]

So now as I look at my options I think... My wife and I still haven't had children. So until they come I'm left to enjoy cars as our budget allows. I nearly have my SLK paid for and trying to decide if I want to keep mine. As much as I complain about the Obsidian black metalic paint being hard to keep clean I do love it when it is clean (for the 10 minutes it stays clean). [:p] And truth is my little SLK is very awesome and I don't know if I could give her up. But I do wonder if I could pick up a good used '03 or '04 SLK32. I don't think our budget could handle it well [:(] but I'm still keep my options open.

So I'm curious who else is thinking of picking up a used SLK32 instead of a new SLK? [?]

#6 ·
RE: Buyer's market for a used '03 or '04 SLK32?

If you have the SLK230, even a bounce up to the SLK320 will be big (cause there is little comparison between the two, IMHO the 230 is way too sluggish). maybe consider an SLK 320...though obviously the SLK32 will give ya a serious kick.

Also, you might give the new 250hp V6 Quattro TT a try...yes, I know spoiled on the hardtop, eh? Driving-wise, the TT will kick some serious ass.

Geekapoo[:eek:)]

#7 ·
RE: Buyer's market for a used '03 or '04 SLK32?

Let's see...

1- or 2-year-old SLK32 with 10K miles will be about $40-45K.

A brand new SLK200 Kompressor will also be about $40-$40-45K.

349hp vs. 161hp.

The most trouble-free Mercedes model vs. a newer model that will get all of the electronic gadgetry that M-B admits is what's causing their quality and reliability scores to drop.

Not that the new SLK doesn't have any redeeming qualities, but if you'd be trading an R170 SLK230 for an R171 SLK200, I think you'd be a little bit disappointed in the performance, that wouldn't be the case with an R170 SLK32.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.