Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SLK 320 AMG KOMPRESSOR ( the kompressor are Japanese made, did anyone know that)

2K views 18 replies 0 participants last post by  DougM 
G
#1 ·
<br>
I read it in the Motor Trend Car Magazine. Why can AMG design one of their own. or at least pick a German made kompressor.

G
#9 ·
denial

Thats because you are in denial. The connection was other cheaply sourced parts (Read Japanese parts instead of German parts), point was this isnt the end or the beginning, and the cost cutting is showing up everywhere like my Intrepid cupholder. Whether you can consider my 4100 mile a/c system 2001 needing two leaking parts replaced just today is a coincidence or not is up to you! Steve

G
#11 ·
I'm not a big fan of Japanese equipment eather, but....

Cheap, and poor quality do not have to go hand in hand, If you truely think so, don't fly commercial any more. The Japanese are building major parts of all Boeing aircraft as a standard practice since sometime in the 70's.... All their stuff isn't junk by any means.

G
#12 ·
This was discussed on 5/11...

Brian posted a link earlier this month to a Ward's Auto article on the SLK32/C32 that mentioned the Japanese supercharger.<br>
<br>
Link to Ward's Auto article:<br>
<br>
http://www.wardsauto.com/default.asp?action=ar&aid=51200185534

G
#13 ·
I still don't get it...

I'm not denying that M-B is using cheap parts for cost cutting, because I certainly believe they are. However, I still don't get the point you are trying to make between the Intrepid cupholder, the SLK cupholder, and Japanese parts in general. If you are saying that all Japanese parts are cheap, then you are in denial.

G
#14 ·
parts is parts

Im not saying Japanese parts are cheap, hell if there were more I probably wouldnt have had to get the a/c fixed already. All im saying is that I think the Chrysler ownership is causing MB to have to look for profits in areas where they never had to (everywhere, every part in the car). Take my friends '00 E430. Hes on his second set of lug nuts cause they keep rusting! The cupholder in my car is a cheap piece of crap, not a big deal but I notice it since it is carved out of the dash and stares me in the face and reminds me of the Dodge. The interior of this car, or that new E430 doesnt hold a candle to my A6 2.7T either. Thats because Audi doesnt have to run its own cost center in the parts bin. I love the car but there are dissapointments which surprised me as far as quality goes. Steve

G
#15 ·
Chrysler influence...

The Chrysler influence on M-B cars up to now is ZERO. Sorry, but there is nothing on either the SLK or the E-class that was influenced by Chrysler. The SLK design was started in 1994 and the W210 E-Class before that. The Chrysler merger didn't happen until 1999 and it won't have any major influence on M-B cars until designs that started after the merger start shipping. That means that even the W209 CLK, the W211 E-class, and the R230 SL will not see any significant Chrysler influence.

G
#16 ·
There is no Chrysler influence....It's Daimler-Chrysler not Chrysler-Daimler

Mercedes bought Chrysler Corp., and if you don't think so, ask a Chrysler employee. Daimler bought Chrysler for two reasons: (1) Their Design Department, and it's ability to get a car from conception to construction faster then any other company in the world. (2) The Marketing/Sales Departments in order to be able to sell more Mercedes in the US.

G
#17 ·
There may be no design influence from Chrysler to Mercedes...

... but you can bet there are cost influences. The loses DC are incuring from acquiring Chrysler are huge, and this has to come from somewhere. You can bet Mercedes vehicles are undergoing cost cutting measures--incl. parts, manufacturing, etc., to help offset the Chrysler loses--some $1.3 billion in the fourth-quarter of 2000!

G
#18 ·
I don't think so...

You could cut costs forever on M-B cars and still not bail out the Chrysler division. Any cost-cutting on M-Bs is for the sake of added profitability to the Mercedes division, not to make up for Chrysler losses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.