what is SLK stand for ????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 12:49 PM
Beng

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The abrevation "SLK" has a German meaning.....

<br> each letter stands for a quality of the car. S stands for 'sportlich' (/sportive), L for 'leicht' (/light) and K for 'kurz'(/short). <br> <br> Hope this helps.

#3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 12:55 PM
LN 32

I've also heard an alternate definition that had the K standing for the supercharger (kompressor).

#4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 01:10 PM
Beng

Probably so LN32, but not the official one.... :))) OT, follows...

BTW, I am looking for a Maine Coon as a X'Mas gift for my wife and wonder if you can help direct me to a good breeder. I noticed from a previous post that you are a cat lover also. TIA.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 01:42 PM
Bob

Think I saw it as "Sport Light Kompact" somewhere

#6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 02:26 PM
Beng

Here is the link to the SLK history

#7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 02:53 PM
Brian

Yes, Sportlich, Leicht, and Kompakt is correct...

This is what was stated on the M-B Worldwide website from 1997 until they changed the website for the facelift. It's also what is stated in the book Everything about the Mercedes-Benz SLK, which is published by Mercedes-Benz.<br> <br> However, it seems that Mercedes may have once said the K stood for Kurz in early press reports when the SLK protype started touring back in 1994.<br> <br> The K in SLK does not and never did stand for Kompressor.

#8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 02:53 PM
Tom (Vancouver)

SL = Sport Leicht: was the description of the first 300SL (Gull wing) ...

which was constructed of an aluminum chassis. That car was first designed in 1951 and didnt appear for public viewing until February 1954 at an autoshow in New York. From 1954 to 1957, 1400<br> were built, They sold for $29,000DM ($13,400.00US)<br> <br> If u read German try the URL below

#9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 03:03 PM
LN 32

Actually, I was just told that we're both wrong .....

Michael (my SO, and SLK trivia expert) just informed me that the K stands for klein (i.e., small). I tend to believe him since he's probably read everything there is available on the SLK. We got one of the first SLKs in the U.S. (1996 build / purchased January 1997). He said that the K was added specifically to emphasize 'small' as opposed to the current generation SLs which had become boulevard cruisers and, even though they were 'roadsters', they had lost some of their smallness/lightness. Mercedes want to stress the distinguishing feature of the SLK.<br> <br> As far as Maine Coons, I've got a friend who has one and I can see if she has any info. I have two Bengals, and HIGHLY recommend them as a breed. They're incredibly smart, love water, and will even play fetch. They're real 'people cats' and are not aloof at all. The Bengal is a relatively new breed, and is a cross between the asian leopard cat and the domestic short hair. Bengals must be at least four generations removed from the ALC in order to be considered a purebred. My two are spotted (like little leopards), but they also come in a marbled coat.<br> <br> Even though I'm on the east coast, I got my two Bengals from a breeder in Oregon. I didn't want kittens that had been raised in cages, and the breeder I used had beautiful kittens and cats. I was so pleased with the first one that we ended up getting another kitten a year later. Both cats have the same father, and are beautiful.<br> <br> So, in answer to your question, I don't have much - if any - info on Maine Coons, but feel free to email if you'd like more on the Bengals. I wouldn't trade them for anything, and Michael feels the same way about them. I know you and your wife wouldn't be disappointed.<br> <br> If you follow up with Wildsun, feel free to tell Candace that Ellen referred you. I still send her pictures of Sami and Shay.<br> <br>
Attached Files
File Type: com/procserv/47b1cc28b3127cce9ba46b165b800000004410 http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b1cc28b3127cce9ba46b165b800000004410 (20.6 KB, 65 views)

#10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 03:05 PM
Brian

Kurz or Kompakt, but not Klein.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class