Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Weird dash noises...

745 views 5 replies 0 participants last post by  BillT 
G
#1 ·
It sounds like my windshield is lightly popping, quietly clicking and snapping. It is almost continuous and most noticeable when first starting up and driving slow (of course the car's quieter then, too). My wife says its in the dash. Could it be my top didn't seat well when closing, or any ideas ???<br> <br> I've also got another sound coming from the same area -- it sounds like it's inside the steering column. This is a low tone -- a throaty, deep click that increases in frequency w/engine rpms, but doesn't sound like its coming from the engine compartment. My guess is the tach cable ??? <br> <br> Thanks in advance!

G
#2 ·
Re: Weird dash noises... More

Oh yes, the windshield/dash popping sounds in this '32 just started at about 3000 miles.<br> <br> The steering column/tach noises have been there from the start, but are getting worse.

G
#3 ·
I have a squeeking/chirping that comes from between the cubby hole and the wood...

dash plate. I can push down on the cubby and it stops, I think the joint is to tight or they forgot to install some fabric tape to stop it.

G
#4 ·
I started hearing a similar sound last week...

on my 320 with 7,000 miles. It sounds as if the top is not securely latched, but it appears to be. The ceaking is mostly when shifting into drive, or driving over a bump, or starting up or down a steep hill.

G
#5 ·
tapping/clicking from dash ...

I have had something similar ... I had a tapping/clicking ( metal on metal sound) coming from the center console of the dash board, around the shifter, and sometimes it sounded like it was coming from the underside of the dash in the passenger footwell ... mine was speed sensitive ... no problem just idling, initially it would start at 120 kph+, first slowly and intermettent then constant within a minute of two. After a while it would start at lower speeds ... It took 4 trips to the dealer including a rather frank discussion with the owner of the dealership about the apparrent lack of his service department to find and fix the problem ... and the apparrent lack of quality as compared to other convertibles I have driven ... but they finally found it and fixed it ... on the 4th try it took then a whole week ... It was the heat shields around the transmission and exhaust right under the shifter. They had been installed wrong at the factory and with wind buffeting under the car would rattle. The dealer finally found it by taking my car for a test drive with the center console from the cup holder to the bin between the seats removed. Once all that stuff was out they quickly realized that the 'rattle' was coming from the heat shields under the car ... 4 service calls, 6 test drives with the service manager, 4 different service techs over 3 months for a 10 minute fix ... no more rattle now, knock on wood :)

G
#6 ·
More...

Wow -- good you found yours!<br> <br> My weird clicking noises seem to come from the driver's side, just a few inches in from where the dash meets the windshield.<br> <br> And the lower sounds, rpm sensitive, from the driver's dash center itself, hence my feeling it's the tach (or speedo) cable...<br> <br> Thanks for the inputs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.