Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Questions re in-dash CD/MP3 players

706 views 11 replies 0 participants last post by  Oren 
G
#1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing a 230K just in time for Spring, but I'm wrestling with figuring out the best audio solution. I don't want to pay $900 to install a trunk-mounted CD changer that takes up valuable trunk space. So, I thought of installing an in-dash CD/MP3 player. <br> <br> 1. Is this something that any electronics store can handle? Or does it require specialized knowledge? I'm concerned about important cables (like fiber optics) getting snipped--I may need them later.<br> <br> 2. I'm not familiar with the fiber optic situation. Does it pose a problem? <br> <br> 3. Can you recommend CD/MP3 players? The fewer lights, the better. Something understated--it is a Mercedes.<br> <br> 4. How do MP3s need to be organized on the CD? Can you group them into folders (genre) and subfolders (artist, album)? I'd like to have it \genre\artist\album and then be able to tell it 'play xx genre' or 'play xx artist' or 'play xx album' or play everything.<br> <br> Thanks!

G
#2 ·
You can put in an aftermarket MP3 player no problem...

you'll need a VW adapter to plug into the MB wiring harness. The connections are analog. As far as organizing the mp3s, it depends on your player. Most just require you to have all the mp3s on the root directory and displays their 7.3 name and their mp3 tags.

G
#5 ·
You can also try the Kenwood KDC-MP8017, I'm getting one installed on Tuesday.

The Kenwood one is the best of the 2 Mp3/CD car deck there is. The other one being the JVC. I picked the Kenwood one becuase of the security features that it has. The face plate, you can take it off or flip it around so it just looks flat black. In addition to that, you can use a security code.<br> <br> The Kenwood is not flashy, just how you would like it. Its black, so it matches my interior, while the JVC is silver. <br> <br> I got a pretty good deal for it, 360 CDN (w/o tax), which is 228 USD. They said installation is going to be around 30 CDN (labor is free, just had to pay for parts).<br> <br> I've included a link to some reviews for Mp3/CD car decks. There is lots to read there and lots of recommendations. Hope this helps!

Attachments

G
#10 ·
I couldn't find the harness anywhere, and installation was free (just have to pay for parts)

I had it all planned out too. The parts I have to pay now is going to be around 30 cdn, and the harness I found from soundgate which I can get was 150 cdn (plus tax) and I still had to do it myself, so I'll just let the store do it. hehe =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.