Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Arrested For Speeding....Any Advice

978 views 13 replies 0 participants last post by  MB Smitten 
G
#1 ·
On Wednesday I was driving my SLK home from work and I was pulled over by a police officer. I was on the E street expressway in DC. He said I was going 72 mph on a 30 mph zone. I have NEVER been arrested. Have no points on my license, no DWI, no speeding tickets, no criminal record...I expected a speeding ticket or a court date at best... Is that legal?!!? Should I hire a lawyer?

G
#2 ·
I think you should....

certainly get a lawyer.<br> <br> Why would you drive so fast is a 30 mph zone? You go arrested because you were 43 mph hour over and more then doubled the posted speed limit.<br> <br>

G
#3 ·
When did this happen?

Generally 20 mph or more over the limit and they place you under arrest. 40+ mph over the limit would almost certainly gaurantee an arrest.<br> To be honest, I wonder if you're telling the truth. If on the other hand this is for real, better you should get a lawyer, you're going to need it. <br> What company towed the car away?

G
#4 ·
Technically anytime you are stopped and ticketed it is an arrest, even if they don't take you to jail. Whether or not you need a lawyer would depend on the charges and potential consequences (fine, points, probation, or worse) if convicted.

G
#5 ·
I am very much 'telling the truth'. This happened on Wednesday evening. The E Street Expressway is an tunnel where there are NO pedestrians, no crossing traffic..its a straight away. In additional to the humilitation (this occured not too far from my job), I received a 200 fine and I am due to appear in court on December 21st. According to my understanding the officer could have just given me a warning or reduce the charges. However, he was trying to meet his monthly quota.

G
#6 ·
Depends on your situation

With a clear record, you probably don't have to worry about points (ie, losing your license), etc.<br> <br> And although +43 is way over, if there's no other issues (like reckless driving), then you can deal with it yourself -- most likely as well as any atty.<br> <br> If convicted, your insurance rates will go up, which could be an issue.<br> <br> Generally, traffic lawyers don't do anything but plea bargain for you. You can do this yourself to reduce your points and fine by just asking the court to speak to the D.A. Everybody does this, it's no big deal.<br> <br> If you are admittedly guilty, and the traffic cop had you on radar, just see the D.A. and say you'll plead guilty to a reduced charge. That's the way the system works, and the way 75% of traffic tickets are handled. Good luck.<br> <br> And, congrats! I got it once for 68 in a 35 -- you beat my best by 10 mph!

G
#7 ·
I know it sounds like the pot calling the kettle black, but.........

With that kind of speed over the limit you have to expect to pay the piper. Don't blame the Officer. You were the one speeding, besides $200.00 isn't bad for 40+ over. I got one for 23 over in Va. and had to cough up $135 or so, and that was on US route 95 when there was no other cars around.<br> Lost my licence for speeding, for two years when I lived in N.J., but that was just before I went to Viet Nam, so I really didn't care much.<br> I'm not trying to make you feel any worse, but you can expect points as well, so watch that rearview mirror for the next few years.

G
#10 ·
www.helpigotaticket.com - according to this guy every speeding ticket can be beaten

its a free information only site - i found it very helpful on my last ticket, and since i just got another one last week i'm looking at it again!

G
#14 ·
Look at it this way

The speed limit is as fast as you can drive for free. They have a points system in place to keep us from abusing the system but the way I figure it If I speed almost everywhere I go and once or twice a year i pick up a $150.00 (avg.) ticket then I paid like $24-$26 a month to speed by 10-15 mph. everywhere I go.<br> Double the posted limit is foolhardy regardless of traffic conditions, there are always the unknowns and its obvious there was at least 1 more car than you were aware of eh? I woulda ticketed you too. My advice pay it, learn from it, and try to smile next time ya have to pay your dues. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.