Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is it a good buy an SLK 200 Kompressor ?

1K views 4 replies 0 participants last post by  Lucas grijander 
G
#1 ·
Hello guys, I'm planning to buy an SLK 200 Kompressor (163cv) or an Audi TT Roadster 150cv. Should I go for the SLK ? I think the electrical hard top is great but they've told me that the Audi is more secure going quick. Can someone who own's or has driven an SLK 200/230 Kompressor give me an opinion about that car ? <br> <br> Many thanks and regards.

G
#2 ·
SLK-230 (US model) experience

Alvaro, I've driven both the SLK230 and the TT, and I would say the TT is more of a pure 'Sports' car, whereas the SLK is more of a 'Grand Touring' car. Both are great cars, with small compromises in different directions that might lead you to one or the other. I suspect that if all I wanted to do was to race around a track, or drive nothing but back-country twisty roads, I might prefer the Audi's handling (actually, it's mostly the steering). But since I also drive on the highways and city streets, both in heavy traffic and light, the SLK's more refined suspension soaks up the bumps and is far more comfortable. I decided to buy the SLK for several reasons: 1) The SLK chassis is far more capable than I am as a driver, at least for 99.9% of the driving I'll do in my lifetime. 2) The SLK is far more comfortable than the TT to drive for long distances. 3) The TT felt more 'confining' to me (I'm a pretty big guy), whereas the SLK felt reasonably roomy. 4) The vario-roof is the perfect compromise between an open sports car and a hard-top coupe. When the weather is decent and the top is down, both TT and SLK are marvelous. When the weather turns to 'yuck' (rain, sleet, snow, blowing dust, you name it - we get it here in Texas) the vario-roof is just as secure and airtight as a hard-top coupe. 5) Finally, I just plain like the styling of the SLK far better than the TT. My boss has a TT (coupe) that is really nice, but my first reaction every time I see it is that it looks like a VW New Beetle that has been squashed... The SLK styling is very appealing to me, and has a timeless quality that I like. I won't feel like I'm driving an obsolete car in a few years. I wish you good luck on your decision. Isn't it great to have choices? Just a few years ago, the Mazda Miata was the only roadster available!

G
#4 ·
Thanks very much! I think I'll go for the SLK !

Thanks Jim for sharing with me your experience and thanks Rohf for the link. I live in Spain where we have lots of sunny days and the SLK has been the car of my dreams and now I can afford a used one from 1999,2000 or 2001. I'm not a rally driver but I like to have some acceleration and most of all, have a secure feeling when I drive my car in the motorway.<br> <br> Also, a non hard top, makes me afraid of leaving it parked outside in the street at night (many envy people in my country unfortunately).<br> <br> Thanks again guys.<br> <br> Hope to write here soon!<br> <br> Alvaro.

G
#5 ·
Answer to Alvaro's question

Los dos coches son unas patatas, te aconsejo que te quedes con tu cordoba y no hables mas de la gran ola hasta que llegue. EL menda que te ha respondido antes tiene un SLK, que mamón!!!!, y su GF un TT, vaya empresa de prepotentes bastardos!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.