Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My SLK32 is here ... what do I look for when I pick it up?

779 views 15 replies 0 participants last post by  Leon McKee 
G
#1 ·
Any pointers would be appreciated!<br>
<br>
Leon McKee

G
#3 ·
Delivery Checklist....

First, congratulations! You might want to include the following in your checklist: <br>
<br>
1) Make sure the car includes all the options you ordered.<br>
<br>
2) Slowly and carefully inspect the interior and exterior of your car and look for scratches, dings, paint defects, rust, oil leaks, etc. Check your seats and interior trim for scratches, tears, marks, etc. Make sure you have the salesman mark down all the problems you find on the delivery form he will be asking you to sign.<br>
<br>
3) Check all fluid levels including oil (they should have done this during PDI, but never hurts to check and double check...). Have a air gauge handy and make sure the tires are at recommend pressures. Many times, they forget to check and make sure the tires are properly inflated! Remember the factory over-inflate tire to prevent flat spotting.<br>
<br>
4) Go through the features and operation of the car with the salesman. Make sure everything works as it should. Do not let him rush you through the delivery...it is his job to make sure you understand everything and answer your questions.<br>
<br>
5) Look for possible C-pillar rubbing by checking the clearance of the C-pillar against the rear wheelhouse inside the trunk compartment. Search archives on C-pillar rubbing for more details.<br>
<br>
6) Take a short test drive to make sure everything is up to par.<br>
<br>
7) Most important...take pictures and post them here!<br>
<br>
Observe restraint during the break-in period. Hope this short list will help you in your delivery.<br>
<br>
Enjoy your new car Leon, and drive safely. BTW, where are you located?<br>
<br>
Beng

G
#5 ·
Here's a pretty complete checklist ...

- Take delivery in daylight, preferably when it is not raining.<br> - Spend at least an hour taking the delivery. <br> - Don't hesitate to complain about anything. <br> - Take a small torch with you. <br> - Take a tire pressure guage with you. <br> - Take some CDs with you if you have opted for the CD changer. <br> - View paint work straight on & at an angle for blemishes or inconsistent color. <br> - With your bare hands touch and run your hands over all paintwork. <br> - Check all tires and alloys for chips or damage or nails. <br> - Make sure tread is correct way on all wheels. <br> - Check the tires for sidewall lumps. <br> - Open all doors, windows and the trunk.<br> - Check all fluid levels. <br> - Check that you have the proper floor mats. <br> - Make sure you get the manual and all keys. <br> - Make sure the emergency medical kit is there. <br> - Check all switches and correct functioning of equipment. <br> - Check all lights and the alarm. <br> - Check windows and roof operation.<br> - Drive it around for a little while and listen for rattles.<br> - Take the car for a test drive and check for correct gear change and any steering pull. <br> - Ask for freebies like wheel locks, car cover, etc. <br> - Buy a touch up paint kit now rather than later and leave it in your glove box. <br> - Check the inflation of the tires.

G
#12 ·
Thats right! Make sure of the following:

- display the oil level on the dash: demand SW upgrade if it doesn't.<br> - check the night security illumination (this is how long the lights stay on when you leave the car in the dark), and have them adjust the time if you want it shorter.<br> - make sure they give you a valet key. It's shown in the manual, demand one.<br> - Also, there should be a round plastic widget about the size of a half dollar used to loosen/tighten the antenna somewhere in the car.<br> <br>

G
#14 ·
Good points except it's my understanding that the 2002 32s do not come with a valet key. Not sure ..

about other models, but my dealer gave me a third full key when I questioned the missing valet key.

G
#15 ·
The valey key is described in the manual

And when I asked they got me one. The story I got was that some (most?) new M-Bs come with the new style key where the actual key can slide out of the housing/remote opener. Those cars come without valey keys, as you can just use this slide out piece. The cars with the older style key should still have valet keys, otherwise you have no choice but to hand over the whole gizmo. I also don't trust the remote unlocking: the dealer said just carry the card and if you are accidentally locked out call the number and they will remote unlock. That assumes the car is in cell range! I'd rathe have a spare 'valey key in my wallet. Althought the valet key is too big for my wallet, oh well.

G
#16 ·
GOT IT!!!!!

Magma Red with Charcoal interior...<br>
<br>
The only issue was that the FSS was not programmed correctly!<br>
<br>
Thanks for all the VERY helpful advice.<br>
<br>
Leon McKee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.