Had my thermostat fail in my '98 SLK 230 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2001, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
SteveVB

Had my thermostat fail in my '98 SLK 230

Noticed that my engine temps were becoming a little erratic over the last few months: slow to warm up, occasional higher than normal peak temps, but no disasterous failure, thank you.<br>
<br>
The replacement unit is a joy to install, a simple R&R with no other disassembly required except to remove the hoses and 3 10mm bolts and drain a little coolant. The Merc unit is a beauty: a thermostat assembly in a cast aluminum integral housing with a machined mating surface with the included rubber O-ring. No cr@ppy gaskets to scrape! Well worth the $35 dealer-only price. They did have to special order it for me however.<br>
<br>
Sure enough, the old unit was not fully closing on my post-mortem inspection and I'm sure was not fully opening. Cars are satisfying to diagnose and treat. Their parts are easier to replace than with real people!<br>
<br>
Clearly a simple DIY job, even for the novice. Don't forget to use extended-life coolant and distilled water to top off the reassembled system.<br>
<br>
Happy trails!<p>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2001, 06:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chris(LE)

What's the part number?

Old 11-01-2001, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Linh

GUY !!!! Here's a way you can check your's own thermostat to see if it still working..............

<br> if you think that your engine is running a little hot. O.k, Locate the coolant hole from the radiator to the thermostat. This test should be done when engine is 'HOT'. Squezes the coolant hole between the radiator and thermostat. There should not be a lot of prressure. If there's alot of pressure (very hard to squezes)then the thermostat is bad (corroded). It corroded and the thermostat is not open-up for the coolant to flow through engine. If you are in the middle desert and this happen to you, wait for engine to cool down then take out the thermostat and then you are fine to drive home. Make sure to put in a new one when you get home.<p>63-93-69-32.lsan.dial.netzero.com
Old 11-01-2001, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rin

What is a coolant hole? or you mean to say coolant HOSE;-))

Old 11-01-2001, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Linh

Sorry..you're right. Is "HOSE"

Old 11-01-2001, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
SteveVB

MB Part no. 111-200-09-15

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK Class