SL500 Oil Change - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2003, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 92 300E
SL500 Oil Change

Anyone out there change their own oil in their SL500? I have a 1996 and just bought a filter and case of Mobil 1 synthetic oil and am going to tackle it as soon as I get it back from the shop (having the seats re-covered and re-padded). Since I don't have it here to look at, a few questions:

1) Where is the filter?

2) The filter I bought is just the replacement filter element, and not the whole cannister. Is this the way these cars are?

3) Do you need any special tools, like to get the old filter off?

4) Any other words of advice for someone tackling an SL for the first time?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2003, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
Re: SL500 Oil Change

Quote:
Anyone out there change their own oil in their SL500? I have a 1996 and just bought a filter and case of Mobil 1 synthetic oil and am going to tackle it as soon as I get it back from the shop (having the seats re-covered and re-padded). Since I don't have it here to look at, a few questions:

1) Where is the filter?
Pass side of the engine Front under a Intake Hose
2) The filter I bought is just the replacement filter element, and not the whole cannister. Is this the way these cars are?
Some are..Most Late MB are
3) Do you need any special tools, like to get the old filter off?
A 13Swivel and a Long Extension
The Oil Change is EASY!
Go down to the Local Marine store and buy a Topsider
it will suck the oil up through the dipsticp tube
It Make the Oil Cange ..EASY..NO Mess!

4) Any other words of advice for someone tackling an SL for the first time?
Make sure you Check all the OTHER fluid levels Coolant,P/S,Trans,Brake and Soft top level...Its Under the spare tire..Dont forget the Battery!
Thanks!
Mark Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Thanks, Mark!! The 13 Swivel that you mention, I take that as a 13MM socket on a swiv...

Thanks, Mark!!

The 13 Swivel that you mention, I take that as a 13MM socket on a swivel with a long extension?

I've been thinking about getting one of those suction devices for oil changes, but do they really get all of the oil and sludge out as well as draining from the drainplug?

It sure would be a lot less messy....!
Black300E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 99 SL500 78 308 GTS
Dear Black300E, I have an oil extractor from Griot's garage and it does a great job. I...

Dear Black300E,

I have an oil extractor from Griot's garage and it does a great job. I use it on my 308 Ferrari, haven't used it on the '99 SL500 yet. When complete it sounds like a soda straw slurpping in an empty glass. You probably will leave as much oil in the pan as an impatient mechanic and there is no mess.

Two problems...(1) It is incredably SLOW and (2) you need to dispose of the oil in an ecologically sound way.
Luckyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Yes, I ended up getting a MarinaPro. I liked it better because it holds nearly 2 gallons ...

Yes, I ended up getting a MarinaPro. I liked it better because it holds nearly 2 gallons and it has a nice sleek sealable plastic storage tank perfect for taking to the auto parts store to get rid of the waste. It is very neat and clean and no need to get under the car, but incredibly S L O W - 45 minutes to drain my 1996 SL500.
Black300E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 1991 500SL
Oil change

I have a 91 500sl with 160,000 miles on it (runs great). I like working on the engine myself, but when it comes to changing oil, fugedaboudit! It's so easy and cheap to go to the jiffylube. They will not only change but FLUSH the oil system. If you have any substatial miles on your car it's best to flush out all the crap floating in your oil - it will substatially extand the life of your 129. Here are the other advantages - no mess, environmental recycling, they will check every other fluid and your tires, and its all over in 15 min.
[8]
Nikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 2000 SL500
I agree with Nikv. I take my car to Jiffy lube and have them change the oil with Mobile 1...

I agree with Nikv. I take my car to Jiffy lube and have them change the oil with Mobile 1. The only thing you will want to do is call to see if they have the oil filter in stock. Most of them do not because they usually don't see sl's in there bay so I bring my own. Belive me they are more than happy to work on it. I use to 1/4 race mustangs and if the jiffy lube people know that you are comfortable with woring on cars you can stand out there with them. The Jiffy Lube that I go to even let me go underneith the car to look at it.

When it comes to flushing the engine I would be careful. If you have followed the Oil change schedule you should not have much build up. If you do and you have the motor flushed it could cause the slugge or chunks to release and get stuck in the oilways and it could really cause problems.
2000 Nissan Xterra(K&N FIPK)(SOLD)
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee(K&N FIPK, MSD-6A, 60,000volt Race Coil, 10mm wires)(SOLD)
1994 Jeep Gran Cherokee (MSD-6A, 60,000volt Race Coil, 10mm wires)(SOLD)
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 (375hp)(SOLD)
1982 Volkswagon Rabbit Covertable(SOLD)
Black129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class