Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Please Help....

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  S9V9F 
#1 ·
I have a 1993 R129 SL500 and want to put racing seats in but have run into trouble. A local shop told me Corbeau makes seat brackets for all cars so I bought some and they were so far from fitting it was incredible. After getting nothing but lies and bs right up to the last day I had to return them. So now I am stuck with a car that has no seats or mechanics in and only one apparent option: get someone to fabricate and weld some kind of bracket in there. This is extremely frustrating and I was praying someone here could give me a concrete answer as to if there is any way around fabricating and welding. r120 1992.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Bonjour and welcome to the forum.

I suggest instead of welding brackets in car, you get a subframe fabricated which you can bolt straight in to the car, and then fit the Corbeau seats to that.

The subframe for a R129 would be bespoke and would involve a bit of engineering knowledge and technical design experience.

If you are not confident about doing this yourself, get someone from a local welding / steelwork shop to come out and have a look at the car.

Make up a plan and shopping list first: -

For instance, depending on your experience, you may need someone to come out to
1) inspect car and seat and measure up;
2) prepare a design in principle;
3) produce a technical drawing for fabrication;
4) fabricate the subframe;
5) check fit and install seat.

Hope this helps :)

#3 ·
Cheers!

As Rob suggested, do not have anything welded permanent brackets to the car, have the brackets custom made - not a rocket science but they have to be engineered to fit securely an precisely. I've had that done for our Audi Coupe GT while back.

The best way to do this, is to have Universal Adapters (Corbeau has few options) for your new seats and have a reputable place to make the adapters to be fit those seat track to existing locations/mounting holes of R129

Corbeau does not list R129 specific adapter for our cars, early SL, R107 - yes, R129 - no Master Seat Brackets - Corbeau Racing Seats

Regards,
D

#6 ·
I had a similar custom work done in an old 911 2.7RS replica that I have for track days. I'm tall (194cm), therefore the objective was that the seat be as low as possible to the chassis and that it moved back as much as possible. As robm.UK said, do not have it permanently welded, instead have a custom made bracket bolt on the chassis. I have to say though that installing bucket seats in an SL is beyond me... These cars were made for anything else but track racing.

And what RichardF said regarding seat belts is extremely important. It is potentially a matter of life and death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.