Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Roll bar/Top indicator lights blink, then stop operating including the windows?

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SoCal Special 
#1 ·
First let me say I've read alot on this subject on this forum and have tried many things that have been suggested. But nothing has ever worked so I'm just trying to get some advice and input before I go taking anything apart or spending any money because everything is crazy expensive on these cars.

When I get in the car from a cold start everything always works and operates completely perfect. I just recently took the hard top off for the first time since I've owned the car (2.5 years) and all they hydraulics are literally like brand new, the soft top is in near perfect condition. After I've driven the car for 60-90 minutes (sometimes more or less) the lights for both the Roll Bar on the dash and Top on the console blink, fade in and out. This will go on for a few minutes. While they're blinking and going crazy I can't operate any of those things and also the windows go dead. Then it'll all go back to normal for a minute or two then same thing over and over. Then finally the lights stop blinking and fading in and out but then everything is completely dead, windows as well. Then thats it until I shut the car off and don't drive it for many hours or until the next day. Then everything goes back to normal the next time I drive the car from a cold start. But, this doesn't happen every single time. It very sporadic. It doesn't blink in a pattern to give me a specific code. I feel that their may be a short some where or maybe the module, after a certain amount of time, over heats?

I'd like to give all the electrical components a wiggle test and make sure all the connectors are attached properly but I'd also like to inspect the module itself. Is the module in the compartment behind the passenger seat the brain for the top and roll bar? Is there anything in the dash or console that I should look at? Under the hood? This has been driving me nuts for a couple years now and I just want it over. If the module was bad, wouldn't it do this every single time upon start up of the vehicle? I'm all ears...thanks in advance everyone!

See less See more
#4 ·
there is at least one switch that can be finiky. if not adjusted correctly, bumps, jars, temperature, movement etc. will have the switch in a position that indicates the top is not properly latched, and trigger codes, lights etc.

This is what it sounds like is going on. especially since it seems to occur with the hardtop and not the soft top. hardtop is possibly not latching solid enough.

#7 ·
Then I agree with e-420. Sounds like you have a safety switch that is acting up that holds the hardtop downt. You are going to have to check each one to see if you hopefully have a loose connection or you have a flaky switch that is on the verge of failing/out of adjustment. It's needs to be handled in a step by step method or you will drive yourself crazy. I would start with the two front latches first. Look to see if both sides of the front of the roof are pulled down to the same measurement. Try pressing down on the roof to see if it clears your lights. Then check the back locks for the same thing.

#8 ·
While they're blinking and going crazy I can't operate any of those things and also the windows go dead!
It seems to me that the only plausible explanation is a faulty roof controller or possibly a poor power connection to the controller.

The controller is located under a cover behind the right seat. I would remove the small connector to the controller which provides it power and check for an obviously dirty or defective contact. If that is fine, I would check the voltage supply to the controller at the connector -- preferably at a time the problem is occuring and preferably while the connector is making electrical contact to the controller. If voltage supply is fine, then I would conclude the controller is faulty.

Note that a limit switch could cause the lamp in the top control switch to flash, but it can not cause any of the roll bar malfunction indicators to turn on or flash.

But what would I check if it was the battery?
When the engine is running power to the vehicle electrical system is supplied by the alternator -- not the battery. If the alternator were faulty you could expect there to be malfunction indicators beyond what you are seeing.

#9 ·
It seems to me that the only plausible explanation is a faulty roof controller or possibly a poor power connection to the controller.

The controller is located under a cover behind the right seat. I would remove the small connector to the controller which provides it power and check for an obviously dirty or defective contact. If that is fine, I would check the voltage supply to the controller at the connector -- preferably at a time the problem is occuring and preferably while the connector is making electrical contact to the controller. If voltage supply is fine, then I would conclude the controller is faulty.

Note that a limit switch could cause the lamp in the top control switch to flash, but it can not cause any of the roll bar malfunction indicators to turn on or flash.

When the engine is running power to the vehicle electrical system is supplied by the alternator -- not the battery. If the alternator were faulty you could expect there to be malfunction indicators beyond what you are seeing.
This is what I'm hoping. I also forgot to mention that since I've had the hard top off I barely ever put the soft top up. So with it being summer the top is down a majority of the time. And still, without fail, the faults/lights do what they do and then eventually just go dead until I let the car sit for a long time or over night.

#10 ·
Well I think I may have found the problem. When I looked at the controller behind the seat the other day everything looked good. But today I inspected it all again and sure enough the sliding clip that sucks the entire connector into the control unit wasn't locked or fastened correctly. I slid the locking clip toward the back of the car and it sucked the connector into the unit by about 1/2 inch. Fingers crossed this was it but I think so. Now I just need to drive it for a while and i'll know. Thanks everyone for the input! I'll update this thread in a couple days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.