Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

R129 transponder Keys NLA

25K views 108 replies 33 participants last post by  ceta4zng 
#1 ·
So, after visiting dealer and being told the key to my 2001 SL500 is NLA, I have been searching for a solution. After three days of searching ebay, German ebay, Google, here, and everywhere else I can think of, no luck finding a source for a spare r129 transponder key.

I can get the blades, the circuit board, the cases. But without a transponder they will not start the car. Any suggestions? My car is a 2001 SL500.

I was told by the dealer that they are NLA. I know earlier keys (pre '96 I think?) are available. Any help would be appreciated, because all I have is one beat up old key that came with the car. If anything happens to it, is my car bricked?

Would it be possible to take the transponder from my working key and glue it on or near the ignition tumbler, so any blade key I get cut would work?

#2 ·
So, after visiting dealer and being told the key to my 2001 SL500 is NLA, I have been searching for a solution. After three days of searching ebay, German ebay, Google, here, and everywhere else I can think of, no luck finding a source for a spare r129 transponder key.
I recently 11/16 went trough this with my 99 SL600 after paying for a new remote key and waiting 5 months only to be told they were NLA. I bought the wallet flat key that is available. I was in the same position with only one key. You can always get a new remote fob and transfer the internals so you have a good remote and get a wallet key in case you lose the remote. This is a very frustrating issue I have with Mercedes. Funny in July 16 I was able to get a remote key for my 98 SL500, guess I just got under the wire on that one:)

#3 ·
I think they all (wallet, valet, remote) became NLA sometime in the first quarter of 2017. I went in last week and my dealer couldn't get anything. But I have read on some threads that people were still getting the basic keys in Feb and March. Now they are all gone.

#7 ·
I think you answered your query here in another thread: -

fredrickjohnson- It sounds like in your old original flip key, the transponder might have failed. The transponder is a little hunk of plastic with a chip inside. It sits inside the key fob near the ignition switch ring. It is independent of the infrared circuit board and is passive, it gets it's power from the car. That woul be consistant with the symptoms you describe. I am in the same boat as you because the only key I have for my car is a rickety original that I am afraid will fail...
So take the transponder out of the old case, and put in the new. Or as you suggested, see if it works permanently glued near the ignition switch transponder ring. Suggest you try bluetacking it first until you find a spot that works. If you're going for the permanent fixed solution, put it behind the trim panel so it can't be knocked off, but you will no longer have this level of theft protection.

AFAIK new key fobs with transponders will be available from MB, but don't know when.

You can buy an old key with a transponder and get it coded to your car. You could PM Deplore about this. I think he can do this. Check out this link: -

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/2717201-no-more-129-keys-12.html

#8 ·
I've only got one key right now. It looks like crap and is rickety, but it works. I am a little hesitant to even touch it until I have some backup in case something goes wrong. How fragile are those transponders? Deplore says he sees a lot of used ones show up DOA.

#29 ·
Problem is nobody here is willing to start the class action. Id join even though I have two keys because mercedes crappy interior plastics and the ridiculously over engineered door locks have pissed me off too much

Edit: did the admins/coders of the site mess with the edit box? I try to type certain paragraphs and the text highlights, erasing what I type.....

#27 ·
You can sue anyone; will you prevail...
Keys have been available for the past 7/8 months...then the stock runs out and then we hear, more are are available.
call customer service at MB....and find out if keys are available...even the dealership parts department many times does not have the current information...

#28 ·
Thanks for the info. I was told by my dealer that they were not available. No indication of when they would be. It makes no sense to me that they would produce too few to suit customer needs. This is worrisome. I do not want to be stranded because of a key.

#31 ·
Keys ARE available, but it will be a bit of work for your dealer. I got my new key (2002 SL500) on the 16th of last month, and a friend with another 2002 got his a week later (we are in the Los Angeles area). Part number is Q-4-76-0025. It will probably show as NLA, but they are available. Shipping appears to come out of Texas. My cost was $249 with tax. This is a non-refundable purchase as the key comes programmed to your car. You will need to show up in person, with ID, and with registration or title to the car in your name. First priority is to folks without any key. If your dealer is willing to go to bat for you, or tell MB a good story about your remote failing, etc., then you can get a spare.

Good luck.

jdg

#32 ·
Just to clarify, you got a new key in August of this year. If this is the case I will go to my dealer tomorrow and tell them that a R129 owner just got a key so they should be able to get me one. My one key is not in good condition and I am paranoid about it dying out on me. The service manager does not seem to treat this key problem as much of an issue. Bought my 97 sl500 over 2 years ago and have been searching for a way to get another key since then. One of the posts from 2 years ago led me to a locksmith in Oregon who says he can make a key that will start the car. This is a 2 day drive for me, from Saskatchewan, Canada, so I have not done it as yet. And now with this dam covid I can drive into the US anyway. Thanks for responding. Jerry

#45 ·
Hi, JD & MIke - have not heard back from you on previous post. Can you provide me with the dealership name & a contact name at your dealership in Socal. Perhaps my dealership can contact them to find out the process for obtaining a key. Also, do you know the name of dealership in Texas where your keys came from. Thanks, Jerry.

#36 ·
I spoke to Mercedes and asked for the manager, this time. They took my information and called me back twice in the next 15 minutes. The second call, I was told they only gave these out under special circumstances. I told them my remote was flakey and it is. It is not working properly. And that they better get me a key. I asked for two originally. I was assured someone would get back to me.

I plan to call the manager tomorrow and tell him he can either replace my keys or provide me with a brand new SL in it's place. I've already spoken to a lawyer about this. IT IS ABSURD YOU CAN"T GET A SPARE KEY Fob, Valet key or Wallet key.

#37 ·
I spoke to Mercedes and asked for the manager, this time. They took my information and called me back twice in the next 15 minutes. The second call, I was told they only gave these out under special circumstances. I told them my remote was flakey and it is. It is not working properly. And that they better get me a key. I asked for two originally. I was assured someone would get back to me.

I plan to call the manager tomorrow and tell him he can either replace my keys or provide me with a brand new SL in it's place. I've already spoken to a lawyer about this. IT IS ABSURD YOU CAN"T GET A SPARE KEY Fob, Valet key or Wallet key.
Assertive, I like it. Hopefully they get you your key swiftly

#42 ·
it was either MY96 or for sure MY97 in the U,S that the imobilizer keys started being used. But imobilizer or not AFAIK the one button switchblade keys are also NLA even for yours that did not have the imobilizer. regular keys for years w/o the imobilizer are easy to get cut, virtually any locksmith can do it and very easily if you have either the std key or valet (mickey mouse) key.

#43 ·
My 1996 can start with a conventional key. The remote key was NLA (I hear yes and no still, but I found the one I lost a year ago so have 2 again). It was MY 1997 and up that really ran into problems IIRC.

And fortunately at least for me, the conventional keys are still available,

#46 ·
Has anyone been able to get the "mickey mouse" style key?
Dealership tells me...will check on it. Inquired back a month later, same answer...checking on it. Again today, still checking.
I'd use the MM key and save wear and tear on the more expensive flip key.

#47 ·
what year? if it is 96 or earlier should be available from a dealer, if not any locksmith worth his salt can make a duplicate from your key. 97 or later, another story AFAIK, NLA

#48 ·
It should not be stressful. I can tell you, I may never buy another Mercedes if I have to worry about something simple like a new key. I am so pissed off.

As for actually making the keys. They do that at one location in Texas. The dealer needs to see your license and registration confirming you own the car. I just provided that. They kept me waiting a long long time.

#50 ·
NO need for the fob
The valet key has its own chip transponder and should be able to unlock the doors and start the car, as it is for the Valet to park the car for you.
It can't open the trunk or any of the locked compartments.
The wallet key can do everything the switch blade key fob does except for the remote function.

#53 ·
Thanks to LAMike for giving me the lead on keys for the R129. My local dealership contacted MB Calabasas. Unfortunately, the available keys are for the years 1998-2002. Apparently the key for my 1997 has some slight difference and these are not available. So the search goes on.