post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: Mercedes 600 sel 1993 Mercedes 190 2.0 1984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes sl60 AMG 1 of 633 ever build

a view weeks I drove a SL60 AMG for my youtube channel and it is good enough to share here for sure

fro the people how don't know the sl60 AMG this car is sharing the engine
with the w124 e60 AMG

this a m119 v8 with a bigger bore and stroke up to 6.0 ltr on paper making 381hp and 580nm
but I the real world this car made a lot more power.
about 6 mnd ago a car here in Holland is been put on the dyno with about 160dklm on the clock what is about 100k miles and did 412hp and 590nm.

this car is 180kg lighter then a sl600 and will accelerate in 5.8 sec from 0-100 what is 0.3 sec faster then a sl600 so a very interesting car

my opinion about the sl60 amg is that then engine is very nice and easy revving but when you want to drive it hard it is a real beast. it is just very good and sounds awesome.

here is the video.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL60 ///AMG, 1970 280SL Pagoda
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I own a 1998 SL60 AMG (silver with the black leather exclusive interior, panoramic roof etc) and can confirm that they are great cars to drive. Loads of torque. The slightly odd thing is that personally when I have a fast car in my hands I generally tend to drive it gently because the knowledge that you have enough power to blow other cars away is hugely reassuring and means that you can just relax. Of course it is nice to have the occasional thrash.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: MB CL 500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You guys from holland seem easy to impress. ;-)
My SL55 (R129 1of 65 ;-) ) is even lighter than a SL 60 and indeed fun to drive, but calling it a real beast?
No wheelspin at 120 km/h (74 mi/h), but.... yes there is something similar:

When it comes close to the speed limiter at 280km/h (173mi/h) the ADS suspension shows also its limits.
At this point i can still not see a beast but somewhat scary come around the corner :-)

These cars were the best of its time, but in my opinion "Beasts" in this weightclass need 500+ horsepower and somewhat close to 1000 NM torque. :-)

Cheers, Frank

Current Retrofits: LPG conversion Prins VSI, Distronic (MY05), Bose Sound, BlueTooth UHI Phone, Voice Control System, Garage Door opener, Digital / Analog TV, Secure Boot Lock, Adaptive Brake lights, AMG Exhaust, CL65 rear bumper, Heated Steering Wheel, Stationary Heater, Multicontour Seat...

Last edited by Frank_S500; 06-18-2017 at 12:00 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: SL 60 1998
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I also have a 1998 SL 60 AMG in green black metallic with mushroom interior.
Interesting re your dyono results, mine came out at 411.7 so very close to yours.
Great fun car, a real pussy cat just doodling around but when floored it really wakes up and roars.

1998 SL 60
1991 SL 500 (sold)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: Mercedes 600 sel 1993 Mercedes 190 2.0 1984
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
I own a 1998 SL60 AMG (silver with the black leather exclusive interior, panoramic roof etc) and can confirm that they are great cars to drive. Loads of torque. The slightly odd thing is that personally when I have a fast car in my hands I generally tend to drive it gently because the knowledge that you have enough power to blow other cars away is hugely reassuring and means that you can just relax. Of course it is nice to have the occasional thrash.
I have the same thing but I also like to use the power there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_S500 View Post
You guys from holland seem easy to impress. ;-)
My SL55 (R129 1of 65 ;-) ) is even lighter than a SL 60 and indeed fun to drive, but calling it a real beast?
No wheelspin at 120 km/h (74 mi/h), but.... yes there is something similar:

When it comes close to the speed limiter at 280km/h (173mi/h) the ADS suspension shows also its limits.
At this point i can still not see a beast but somewhat scary come around the corner :-)

These cars were the best of its time, but in my opinion "Beasts" in this weightclass need 500+ horsepower and somewhat close to 1000 NM torque. :-)

Cheers, Frank
what can I say I drive a lot of cars with a lot of power also did about a month ago a sls AMG and a audi r8 v10 spyder. but some cars just feel good and a "beast" in my opinion or in my words is not always a fast or powerfull car is is just the package. so when you look to a orginal sl500 in comparison to a sl60 amg I think a beast is not a bad description when you look to the body change and the engine upgrade. power delivery and sound I think it is just a very good handling car with enough power to have a lot of fun and that makes this car a beast in my opinion. the car has a very good balance between power and drivability.
maybe "beast" is also just a nice word

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt-j View Post
I also have a 1998 SL 60 AMG in green black metallic with mushroom interior.
Interesting re your dyono results, mine came out at 411.7 so very close to yours.
Great fun car, a real pussy cat just doodling around but when floored it really wakes up and roars.
that is nice to see almost the same power so the dyno is good calibrated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.