Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

'92 r129 loss of power after driving up a hill

557 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rorypff 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I recently purchased a '92 sl500. The vehicle is in great shape, however, it sat unused for several years. Upon purchasing it, I had a mechanic do a major tuneup (filters, gaskets, plugs, oils, etc.) compression was deemed perfect. after that, it ran beautifully, 30-40% more power, great shifting (trans was rebuilt in 2011 and very few miles were driven after). This afternoon I took it for a ride. Again, great power for about 35 minutes until I drove it up constant grade for approximately 2 miles. All of a sudden, the typical zippy powerful shifting was staggering. The engine temperature was normal. I was quite surprised. Once down the other the other side of the hill and the subsequent 3 mile drive home, it just didn't have the great power it has always had. I'm wondering if it is likely something restricting fuel or air? A sensor? Something more nefarious? Any input is appreciated. I'm a total noob with these cars, but eager to learn.

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.