Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

500SL 722.353 gearbox changes gear very late

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  KentGTI 
#1 ·
500SL 722.353 gearbox changes gear very late, fluid & filter change

I have 500SL with M119 engine and transmission type 722.353.
Car has been not used for a 2 or more years. Now I started it tried to drive, but gears are changing so late, maybe at 4000-5000rpm. Once gear changed it hits so hardly. Before leaving it to stand everything worked perfectly.
I know that tranny fluid has been leaking all that time so I suspect there might be low fluid level in it. So, the things I would like to find out:
1. How to measure fluid level in it ? I have access to it, for me it's not a problem to drain fluid and see what amount of it is in there. And later add missing amount of fluid.
2. What MB standard should I look for while picking fluid for it ? I know it's DexronII.
3. What is fluid capacity in that gearbox ?

#3 ·
There's mentioned 722.5 and in some PDF's a 722.3 as well. For oil capacity it's cleared - 7.7Liter for a change. Thanks Ruindr

I probably need to change fluid filter as well. Problem is that I can source fluid filter only for 722.4.
Are 722.4 and 722.3 fluid filters the same ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.