Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New tires : conti extremecontact sport

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Steflwr 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed these brand new conti models on a r129 ? I want to finally replace all 5 tires which are 8 years old with the best smooth, good looking tires that handle good in the wet and dry here in southern florida. Any advice is appreciated!

#2 · (Edited)
Can't go wrong with Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Smooth riding, great wet traction, road feel and steering response!

I had Conti Extreme Contact DW on my C230K. I took them off with 50% thread remaining. They were great in the rain, but steering response was very slow if not downright scary if you do a lot of mountain driving like I do.

#4 ·
I have the Extreme Contact DW on my SL right now, they're OK, but I'm not whipping through winding mountain roads every day. They were priced lower than the Michelin's, plus they were immediately available, so I gave them a shot. I do like the Michelin's better and plan on going back to them when it is time.

#6 ·
I have the DW's on the SL and the DWS-06 on the E420. the DWS is far superior to the michelin MXV4 that I had before. SL doesn't get driven in rain, so don't know how the DW does in the wet, but the DWS is very good in the wet. DWS is a smoother quiter tire, DW more responsive.

I'm happy. But I've never tried the pilot sport to do a comparison.

#7 ·
I currently also have the Continental Extreme Contact DW and absolutely love them in the dry, I don't take the car out if it is raining. I can't comment on how Michelin Super Sports would be on the SL because I never had them on the SL but have driven many cars with them. I would still rate them better than the Continentals but only slightly and I don't think they are worth the extra money on a car like the SL. If you have a 911/BMW M series or something like that then absolutely worth the price difference.

My 2 cents added.

#8 ·
I wouldn't go with the michelin if you actually want a smooth ride. It also depends on which wheels you have. But I have found the pilot super sports to be much more harsh riding than other tires in that range. If you want pretty much a racecar tire though and tons of grip they are the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.