Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: '90 300SL | '13 CLS550 | '10 ML350 BlueTec | '08 E350
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Looking at an SL600...

Always wanted a 12-cylinder R129 and I've been bugging an older gent who has a one-owner triple black '99 SL600 to sell me his when he's ready. Last week he says he's ready, tells me it's not running well and he can't get the local MB dealer to tell him what it will cost to fix it. He's used it as his daily driver as long as he's had it and has put 155K miles on it.

He's willing to pay me $200 to plug my STAR diagnostics computer in to the OBD port and tell him what's wrong and give an estimate of what it would cost him at an indie. I promised that if we come to a purchase I'd deduct the fee from the purchase price.

What I need from this forum is what specific issues am I looking for with the 600 engine? I know all the non-engine issues (I've fixed them all on my '90 300SL) but need some expertise on this late model 12-cylinder. I assume it doesn't have the biodegradable wiring with this year...what else? Hydraulic suspension? What to look at to tell its condition? Etc...

Any pointers for me?

_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_

'90 300SL-24 | '13 CLS550 | '10 ML350 Bluetec | '08 E350
Previous: '06 CLS500 | '07 ML350 | '89 560SEC | '85 300E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1996 SL500
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
This was a great article on the MBCA Star magazine on buying a 129 - and there is a column just on the facets of the V12
Attached Files
File Type: pdf r129_StarArticleon129Roadsters.compressed.pdf (1.39 MB, 80 views)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Start boning up on the ADS II suspension on this site. Nothing mysterious.

A 99 will already have the good front brakes. There's no degradable wiring issue with that year, but the V12 will come with 12 individual coils that may be nearing the end of their useful life. By all means, plug the car into your diagnostics and find out what's giving trouble. It could be anything from a MAF sensor to a few of the coils, or just a bad MOT.

155K miles, just a pup, not even really broken in yet. The drivetrain is still like new.

I hope the cabin was well cared for and the top used to spare the black interior.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, '68 VW Fiberglass Dune Buggy, '05 Black CL55 AMG Coupe.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
Start boning up on the ADS II suspension on this site. Nothing mysterious.

A 99 will already have the good front brakes. There's no degradable wiring issue with that year, but the V12 will come with 12 individual coils that may be nearing the end of their useful life. By all means, plug the car into your diagnostics and find out what's giving trouble. It could be anything from a MAF sensor to a few of the coils, or just a bad MOT.

155K miles, just a pup, not even really broken in yet. The drivetrain is still like new.

I hope the cabin was well cared for and the top used to spare the black interior.
Good info!
For me, no 600. I'd like to have one, but no. I have 2 SL 500's...but the 600 with its hydraulic suspension system is COSTLY! Double the fees on engine issues. If the interior has issues, that means to me that the owner did not look after the other stuff as well. These cars are expensive to maintain and the 600's are twice as expensive. Not looking to discourage you. But you need disposable income for the 600.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1996 SL500
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
It looks to me that with the M120 virtually any engine work involves removing the intake manifold...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: ´96 SL600, 355, m3, nsx, aspen, mono, integrale, tt, speedster, cupra R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post

A 99 will already have the good front brakes.

I've been trying to find information on the front brake change on later models but I'm having no luck. What was the change exactly and can we mount +99 brake calipers and rotors in older r129 easily?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:01 PM
R129 HTT Founder Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 040 1996 SL500, 775U 2008 R350 4Matic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It's quite simple and yes you can as I did it on my 96 MY. Search the forum as there threads about it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 96 sl600,97 s420(gone) 96 CL600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Slightly larger Brembo calipers and rotors on the 99+ cars. Direct swap. Have the parts laying here to do mine. Likely more of an improvement in handling heat than in braking power.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 380SL, Jag F-type
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Not all wants are practical when realized. SL600 is only slightly faster than already fast SL500. People originally purchased them to flash the cash, not because they are better SL.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Oh I don't know...

Full (and I mean full) leather interior that seems to hold up better that the regular interior. Sometimes I just like to open the door and breathe in the nuances of that wonderful interior.

Stouter drivetrain. It's not just the engine that's different, from the V12 to the diff, everything is more heavy duty. Even the exhaust is larger.

Xenon lights standard. I don't really understand this envy, but then again, my car already has them.

ADS standard. For the folks that don't have this suspension or have NEVER even ridden in one, but still feel the need to comment; I can only say from personal experience its not that tough to service and the ride complements the chassis on the highway for comfort and stiffens it up a bit for cornering. All at the flick of a switch. I believe the front sway bar is bigger.

Its faster and smoother. Don't believe me, ride in one.

They are WAY more rare than the regular 6 or 8 cylinder cars. I've been daily driving mine for 16 years and still haven't seen another one yet.

The V12s were built to be special and they are. Thank you MB.
Chicky, macysum, Fritha78 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in